Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Historical Fiction

• 13-01-2014 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

hi

I am coming to the end of Ben Elton's "Two Brothers" novel which is set in Weimar/Nazi Germany. I absolutely loved the book and am wondering can anyone recommend any other good historical fiction novels?

Also can anyone recommend any of Elton's other books and are they also historical fiction? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

hi

I am coming to the end of Ben Elton's "Two Brothers" novel which is set in Weimar/Nazi Germany. I absolutely loved the book and am wondering can anyone recommend any other good historical fiction novels?

Also can anyone recommend any of Elton's other books and are they also historical fiction? Thanks

How far back in history would you like to go?

http://www.historicalnovels.info/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

112263 by Stephen King is a brilliant read

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Edward Rutherford had written some amazing historical fiction. He has written about London, and Dublin amongst others - would highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 37 doyoumrjones

Chucken wrote: »
    How far back in history would you like to go?

http://www.historicalnovels.info/

The 20th century ideally. Thanks for the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Fatherland by Robert Harris; set in a world where the Nazis won the Second World War and are now engaged in a Cold War with the USA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Evelyn Cusack

Saigon, pretty much gives a 20th century history of Viet Nam

Wild swans, true story about 20th century Chinese history, amazing book and more interesting than fiction

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Have a look in the "What are you reading atm?" thread or check out the Literature forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini is a brilliant read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

The Bible..... It's great for a chuckle.

• Advertisement

Saigon, pretty much gives a 20th century history of Viet Nam

Wild swans, true story about 20th century Chinese history, amazing book and more interesting than fiction

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ryathoe

"The Spies of the Balkans" by Alan Furst is a really good spy/historical novel - there are several more similar novels by him eg Spies of Warsaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Big Steve wrote: »
    The Bible..... It's great for a chuckle.

One thread. One thread without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

The Physician by Noah Gordon is a good read but it is LONG AS ****. A good 900+ plus pages at least but quite the pageturner.

112263 by Stephen King is a brilliant read

I have that but haven't got round to reading it. Have you read many of King's books?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Ken Folliets Pillars of the earth, World without end and Fall of giants. All excellent books Imo. Should be read in the correct order

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Robyn Young's Brethren Trilogy is fantastic, based around the crusades in the 13th century.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Moving from After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

You should try American Tabloid by James Elroy. Followed by The Cold Six thousand and Bloods a Rover.

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    Moving from After Hours.

Thanks. couldnt find literature section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

http://www.philipkerr.org/

I've read quite a few of Kerrs books. The Shot was the first that I read and it really kept me gripped up to the last page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

huey1975 wrote: »
    You should try American Tabloid by James Elroy. Followed by The Cold Six thousand and Bloods a Rover.

American Tabloid is amazing, I thought the other two weren't as good.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The Daughters of Mars by Thomas Keneally is a good one. It's about Australian nurses during WW1. I think Keneally does a lot of historical fiction although I haven't read any of the rest of them.

Star of the Sea and Redemption Falls are good ones by Joseph O'Connor.

I'd add Shogun by James Clavell (I think)

It's about an English sailor landing in feudal Japan - samurai sh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

DazMarz wrote: »
    Fatherland by Robert Harris; set in a world where the Nazis won the Second World War and are now engaged in a Cold War with the USA.
    Good shout. I just finished "an officer and a spy". A great read and a very good historical novel as also is "Pompeii" also by Robert Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vepyewwo

I read Two Brothers last year and really enjoyed it.

I would recommend City of Thieves by David Benioff which is just as good. It's also set during World War 2. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1971304.City_of_Thieves

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Brooklyn by Colm Tobin set in '50's Ireland/New York

The portrait of an artist as a young man, Joyce, set in Ireland/Dublin round the turn of the 20th century

The Baroque cycle by Neal Stephenson, set in the time of Isaac Newton
    Has the founding of MIT, petty wars in Germany, French court, English wars, including the battle of Aughrim

• Site Banned Posts: 263 ✭✭Rabelais

Robert Harris writes great, big, page-turner historical novels. As he said himself, he never lets historical fact get in the way of a good story. So Imperium and Lustrum are well worth a read.

The Flashman Series by George MacDonald Fraser is also great. Flashman is a coward, a cheat, an alcoholic and a boorish fop - who finds himself as a central character in many great 19th century historical incidents. Very funny.

Red Plenty by Francis Spufford is one of best books I've read in the last few years. It's about various scientists, administrators and bureaucrats in the Soviet Union during Khrushchev's 'planned economy' stage. It's weird, quirky and very engrossing. Really gives a feel for how hopeless and desolate communism was to those who had to deal with the ruminations of it on a regular basis. Cool book.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

Historical Fiction can cover so much, but off the top of my head I'd recommend any of the following:

Mutiny on the Bounty - John Boyne - story told from a different perspective

Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks
    - WW1

HHhH - Laurent Binet - WW2

Doctor Copernicus - John Banville

Bring up the Bodies - Hilary Mantel - I skipped Wolf Hall, but maybe start there??

Pure - Andrew Miller

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The Master and Commander Series by Patrick O'Brian. It is about the Royal Navy of the Napoleonic Wars and evocative of the era.

Advertisement