Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Navy ... any info

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Surely some navy personnel went on to join the ARW, and I'd imagine that takes a fairly high level of fitness...

Many have, which is why I asked the question about Selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brian Clowen

Anyone who cant find the will to keep and maintain personal discipline and fitness onboard a Naval Vessel is NEVER going to pass selection.

You do not have to be superman fit to pass selection, you just have to want it more than anything else in your life.

"He who has a why, can endure any how!"

It has been a good few years since the last Naval Service Member had sucess in been tabbed a Ranger,
    on a brighter note Ordinary Rates are once again been allowed to attempted the Naval Divers Course which is incredibly hard on the body and mind, if you can train for and then pass the divers course you just might have a shot at the wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Anyone who cant find the will to keep and maintain personal discipline and fitness onboard a Naval Vessel is NEVER going to pass selection.

You do not have to be superman fit to pass selection, you just have to want it more than anything else in your life.

"He who has a why, can endure any how!"

It has been a good few years since the last Naval Service Member had sucess in been tabbed a Ranger,
    on a brighter note Ordinary Rates are once again been allowed to attempted the Naval Divers Course which is incredibly hard on the body and mind, if you can train for and then pass ARW selection you just might have a shot at the divers course.
    Fixed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Salvation

Surely some navy personnel went on to join the ARW, and I'd imagine that takes a fairly high level of fitness...

The Navy actively block all applications to the ARW, as most men find it a way to get out of the sh1thole that is haulbowline.

I spent many years down there as a seaman, could'nt get a transfer out of that sess pit, I would advise anyone considering it not to go down.

The Navy is a undisiplined drinking session and a disgrace, I lost one friend who was murdered in the Navy in 2001 again drink.

Stick to the army or air corp and leave that dump for the locals as it suits them

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Salvation wrote: »
    The Navy actively block all applications to the ARW

Are you serious?

Also, while on the topic of using the wing as an escape from a previous DF role, is there a limited amount of time you in stay in the ARW?

• Advertisement

The Navy actively block all applications to the ARW, as most men find it a way to get out of the sh1thole that is haulbowline.

I spent many years down there as a seaman, could'nt get a transfer out of that sess pit, I would advise anyone considering it not to go down.

The Navy is a undisiplined drinking session and a disgrace, I lost one friend who was murdered in the Navy in 2001 again drink.

Stick to the army or air corp and leave that dump for the locals as it suits them

When did you drop out? I'm guessing mid 90s? You wouldn't recognise the place now, to be fair. New management has wiped out the drinking culture. They all ran for the hills when the new flag took over.

The Naval Service can no longer block anyone from going to the wing, if you pass selection your gone simply as. Keep your noise clean and pass selection on your first go and be gone before they realise that your not one of the many ill perpared who go to selection each year and are back in 24hrs.

The young man that we lost was also a very close friend of mine so I take it we know each other and we both miss our buddy very much. the scumbag who murdered him was a nutter who attacked a guy who was unabled to defend himself. I dont want to say anything else about this so as not to cause offence to brians family.

I will be 100% honest here the drinking culture is not what it was back in the 00's, it can flare up here and there but it is on the way out.

The Naval Service is not a dump, if you can apply yourself you can have a good career, it is changing every day and it has come a longway and it has a good bit still to travel.

Our biggest problem is still retention, yound guys just arent willing to do the seatime so they leave, making it harder for the guys that are left, which in turn makes them leave.

Its a problem that can only be solved by fresh blood, 120 new body over the next 12 mths will help.

When did you drop out? I'm guessing mid 90s? You wouldn't recognise the place now, to be fair. New management has wiped out the drinking culture. They all ran for the hills when the new flag took over.

I finished shortly after my friend got murdered so around 2002.

Since I could not get approved to go for selection (3 times applied) I simply left and rejoined the army.

I have'nt been back there since and dont intend too but yes 10 years is a long time for change.

Also the question about the wing, you can stay in the wing as long as you want as long as you can hack it with the rest, getting in is easier than staying in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Emmett 2012

Hi guys,

I'm new to this but i have also applied for the Irish Navy. Myself and 2 friends hope to travel down to Cork from Derry to do out PT test soon.

I was wondering if anybody could give me any info on what the navy is like, Money, Lifestyle, Day to Day duties.

I come from a studying sports background will this be of any use or relevance?

Also is this Psychometric test gonna be as hard as i think?

Thanks guys! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭bandybanter

Check out these online vids for day to day life in the Naval Service. Fairly insightful
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTxKC4csylc&feature=relmfu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

Check out these online vids for day to day life in the Naval Service. Fairly insightful
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTxKC4csylc&feature=relmfu

I dunno if the set up situations depicted were ''day to day life'' :D

ruserious wrote: »
    I dunno if the set up situations depicted were ''day to day life'' :D

Why does there always have to be a pedantic of semantics in every thread. If you watch all three online episodes you will indeed see various tasks that naval personnel carry out on a day to day basis. I posted this video for people who are applying to join the naval service not for trolls.

Why does there always have to be a pedantic of semantics in every thread. If you watch all three online episodes you will indeed see various tasks that naval personnel carry out on a day to day basis. I posted this video for people who are applying to join the naval service not for trolls.
    I'm far from a troll in this regard. I know well what life at sea is like. I was saying that some of the scenes in the documentary were staged.

ruserious wrote: »
    I'm far from a troll in this regard. I know well what life at sea is like. I was saying that some of the scenes in the documentary were staged.

Of course, it's obvious that some of the scenes were staged; however it gives a clearer idea to applicants of what's involved than just them imagining what life would be like at sea.

Life at sea depends on your division.

If your a Seaman your treated like sh1te and do every know crap job, toilet cleaner, scrubbing decks at 0400, painting, general crap. Believe me you get F8ck all action of any type and your a general dogs body.

If you in Comms, a Tel you do F*ck all and is indeed a hand number.

If your a Steward your a glorified waiter for the ponses that are the officers.

If your a mech, again another filthy job but much more handy that being a seaman.

The Naval Service is a crap career unless your one of the mavericks from Cobh that have nothing else.

My advice join the army or go to the UK or US if you can get a green card and join a proper army with proper chances of advancement !

If you go South to that kip you will regret it, it may have changed since I was there but Seamen are still treated like filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭alan86

Just wondering lads if anyone knows what the run is like in haulbowline is it all on flat ground or is it up hill and what would be a good time.

Life at sea depends on your division.

If your a Seaman your treated like sh1te and do every know crap job, toilet cleaner, scrubbing decks at 0400, painting, general crap. Believe me you get F8ck all action of any type and your a general dogs body.

If you in Comms, a Tel you do F*ck all and is indeed a hand number.

If your a Steward your a glorified waiter for the ponses that are the officers.

If your a mech, again another filthy job but much more handy that being a seaman.

The Naval Service is a crap career unless your one of the mavericks from Cobh that have nothing else.

My advice join the army or go to the UK or US if you can get a green card and join a proper army with proper chances of advancement !

If you go South to that kip you will regret it, it may have changed since I was there but Seamen are still treated like filth.

Ignore all the above. Salvation hasn't a clue. He/she tried the NS, failed, and continues to be bitter at his/her own shortcomings, and is convinced it is someone elses fault.
    Move on kid.

alan86 wrote: »
    Just wondering lads if anyone knows what the run is like in haulbowline is it all on flat ground or is it up hill and what would be a good time.

Its over what was once the longest bridge in ireland. Out and back. There is a slight incline from the barrier to the crematorium, gentle downhill after that. This means the return journey has a gentle climb to the midpoint, and a nice downhill run to the finish.
    navla_service_home_459_03.jpg

That bridge, there.

Starts at the NCO's Mess, then as Goldie said and back to the mess.

Ignore all the above. Salvation hasn't a clue. He/she tried the NS, failed, and continues to be bitter at his/her own shortcomings, and is convinced it is someone elses fault.
    Move on kid.

Really obviously your one of the mavericks from below...

Also from your posts your were never in, I did my time obviously your another walter that could never hack it...

As they say in the UK jog on...again an armchair expert...

• Advertisement

By the way I think it is more apt that you post here aswell :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1008

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭alan86

Its over what was once the longest bridge in ireland. Out and back. There is a slight incline from the barrier to the crematorium, gentle downhill after that. This means the return journey has a gentle climb to the midpoint, and a nice downhill run to the finish.
    navla_service_home_459_03.jpg

That bridge, there.

Lovly stuff lad thanks.

Really obviously your one of the mavericks from below...

Also from your posts your were never in, I did my time obviously your another walter that could never hack it...

As they say in the UK jog on...again an armchair expert...

By "time" I take it you mean basic training up to a week before everyone else in your class passed out.
    Not a Mav, but possibly more familiar with the naval service of the 21st century than you are.
    Delighted to see I have unsettled you that you feel the need to try to throw attempts at insults.

By "time" I take it you mean basic training up to a week before everyone else in your class passed out.
    Not a Mav, but possibly more familiar with the naval service of the 21st century than you are.
    Delighted to see I have unsettled you that you feel the need to try to throw attempts at insults.

Good lad as it can be clearly seen a person who couldnt get in, I wont comment any further due to the fact that you are scorned that you could'nt get past the gates, I love these arm chair warriors.

All talk, I've seen plenty of your kind going back on the launch and then the train out of cobh.

Getting back on subject for the people who want to go south.. Dont, simple as that, go to the army or air corp as going down to the kip that is Haulbowline is a waste of your life..

Again leave it to the mavericks down there as they deserve it.

ENDEX!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Give it over you two.

Back on topic.

Have been very busy so have not had the chance to post by but my god Salvation you are really bitter.

I'm real sorry that the navy was such a drag for you, I how your happier in the army.

But I am going to have to say that the navy is not a waste of your life, my life or anylife.

It has changed and is changing, it is getting better and it a rewarding job, it is a different job and it can be furstrating but then cant all jobs be.

The navy you left was going through a period of great change and resistance but the dinosaurs are alomost out of there and there is a better vibe to the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

military.ie states that the upper age limit for consideration of a cadetship is 27, is there any leeway on that?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭lisao80

I finished shortly after my friend got murdered so around 2002.
    in.

after spending years in the navy myself find everything your saying about the place a bit harsh. I'm not there anymore and glad I'm not but wouldn't try and turn people against it either.,,just cause your bitter you didn't get on down there etc doesn't mean other people won't enjoy a career in the Irish navy.

Ps I think I have a fair idea who you are and think you should stop going on about Brian, alot of us lost a good friend and we all know what happened was awful but don't think it needs to be brought back up 11 years later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Eoin_Minnock

sorry guys just a quick question on what recruit training is like?

ill appreciate solid answers from people who have earned the beret not arm chair warriors,
    i understand it is hard but just an indication of how recruit training varies throughout the branches or is it standardised across the board?

Advertisement