Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I remember being told that when checking the old stationary boxes a lot of the checks use to be for fire engines and police cars etc although one day a car went by so fast that it had half cleared the picture. There was still enough for the picture. But dead centre of the picture there was a man on a push bike.

Something like this?:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Daegerty wrote: »
    Great news, how many of the shaggers are left?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 the wallet

Tool,lets hope none of your family are ever set on fire,d man is just doing a job in that van,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Dartz

the wallet wrote: »
    Tool,lets hope none of your family are ever set on fire,d man is just doing a job in that van,

History has shown time and again that "I was only following orders," or "I was just doing my job," is not a valid excuse...

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Dartz wrote: »
    History has shown time and again that "I was only following orders," or "I was just doing my job," is not a valid excuse...

What sort of an answer is that??

At the end of the day the person in that van IS only doing a job, he or she does not go out with the intention of being burned to death!!!! And I think it's only a matter of time before it happens, you have a real attitude of ah well it's only a van and it's another one off the road but the people burning these vans out will hurt or kill someone.

Anyway another point is if we as a nation were safer drivers and killing each other on the roads we would not need these vans on the road and the money spent could be spent in another sector.

I think you really need to have a think about what you have said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Dartz

Irish Fire wrote: »
    What sort of an answer is that??

At the end of the day the person in that van IS only doing a job, he or she does not go out with the intention of being burned to death!!!! And I think it's only a matter of time before it happens, you have a real attitude of ah well it's only a van and it's another one off the road but the people burning these vans out will hurt or kill someone.

Anyway another point is if we as a nation were safer drivers and killing each other on the roads we would not need these vans on the road and the money spent could be spent in another sector.

I think you really need to have a think about what you have said

I think somebody left their sense of humour in the boot. I mean seriously, did you really think yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

C4Kid wrote: »
    It's National , they seem to have the majority up by this stage.
    Not where Im from.Few extra quid to be made I suppose:mad:All in the name of safety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 the wallet

Dartz wrote: »
    what?its clear you have no life anyway by the amount of posts u have.so that lad should be burned cos he went out to earn a few quid working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

the wallet wrote: »

Everyone's just doing their job (making a life a misery for everyone else)

The world would be a lot better if certain people stopped doing their job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Well apart from the burned out ones I've seen one which was rear ended on a recovery truck last week looked like it got a good slap too.

I noticed recently they all have extra survielance cameras front and rear to catch people sneaking up with petrol bombs, although I did find it funny though as if the van went up in flames surely the recording from the cameras would go with it too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Everyone's just doing their job (making a life a misery for everyone else)

The world would be a lot better if certain people stopped doing their job
    How have they made your life a misery?
    Did they catch you speeding? Was it their fault that you got caught?
    Don't try to justify attempted murder purely because you got caught breaking the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭buzzwell

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's a €16 million annual contract for GoSafe to run the cameras for the state. In order for it to be revenue neutral they'd need to catch 200,000 people speeding. For some reason I can't find the stats for speeding offences:(.

Yeah I noticed that. There's regularly a GoSafe van at the Topaz on the N81. When it started I checked the website and there wasn't any speed collision zone there. After I spotted the van I checked the web and sure enough there's a speed collision zone there now. Never seen any collisions there between launch and now. So what suddenly got so deadly about that area?

Its a "Deadly" revenue earner:D.

I think its a real shame that the deal has been broken regarding the absolute promises given in the media by those promoting these things that they were not going to be blatant money-spinners for all involved.

They were originally promised for dangerous stretches of road where fatal accidents occur, if my memory serves me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

buzzwell wrote: »
    I think its a real shame that the deal has been broken regarding the absolute promises given in the media by those promoting these things that they were not going to be blatant money-spinners for all involved.
    My main recollection was that they would spend a minimum number of hours, etc. Is it their fault that a number of people pass them at a speed over the limit?
    buzzwell wrote: »
    They were originally promised for dangerous stretches of road where fatal accidents occur, if my memory serves me.
    Where have they been where a fatality hasn't occurred?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's a €16 million annual contract for GoSafe to run the cameras for the state. In order for it to be revenue neutral they'd need to catch 200,000 people speeding. For some reason I can't find the stats for speeding offences:(.

Yeah I noticed that. There's regularly a GoSafe van at the Topaz on the N81. When it started I checked the website and there wasn't any speed collision zone there. After I spotted the van I checked the web and sure enough there's a speed collision zone there now. Never seen any collisions there between launch and now. So what suddenly got so deadly about that area?

Figure it out I can't http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Our-Research/Penalty-Point-Statistics/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭buzzwell

kbannon wrote: »
    My main recollection was that they would spend a minimum number of hours, etc. Is it their fault that a number of people pass them at a speed over the limit?
    Where have they been where a fatality hasn't occurred?

Fair enough too. Every road has had at least one fatality I suppose.
    I just get the hump with them trying to persuade us to accept them as "Safety Cameras!".

A zero tolerance approach to speed limits will now have to be prioritised, by the driver. I dont have a problem with that at all, I would however feel a bit hard done by, if caught a few kph just inside a zone where the limit has dropped.
    Then again, I'm also a big enough now to take my medicine if I am. NOT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd found that, but couldn't figure it out. Talk about hiding information in plain sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

I was on the N4 last night in Lucan. at 6.30 pm. One of those vans tore past me doing at least 95kph in an 80kph zone. I am so annoyed. I just wish I had got the reg. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

born2bwild wrote: »
    I was on the N4 last night in Lucan. at 6.30 pm. One of those vans tore past me doing at least 95kph in an 80kph zone. I am so annoyed. I just wish I had got the reg. :mad:

"Do as I say, not do as I do."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 conorb101

Hi guys, just wondering if there is a camera in the front of the speed van. I was driving on the N11 heading south just before the Beehive. The van was parked facing north, so I was coming against it. I couldn't see any cameras in the font, so I dont know if it can get me? I was doing probably about 110 in a 100. :S

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

conorb101 wrote: »
    Hi guys, just wondering if there is a camera in the front of the speed van. I was driving on the N11 heading south just before the Beehive. The van was parked facing north, so I was coming against it. I couldn't see any cameras in the font, so I dont know if it can get me? I was doing probably about 110 in a 100. :S

All the gear is in the back of the van, you can see it on the back window generally. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I was coming back from Killarney last night driving at my ease. This clown came up behind me about 2 inches from my bumper and would not overtake even on a straight.

I slowed right down to pisx him of and he passed out doing well over the 100 as he was gone out of sight in seconds!!!. I passed a go safe van a few hunderd yards up the road. It brought a smile to my face.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

Sully wrote: »
    All the gear is in the back of the van, you can see it on the back window generally. :)

The photo is taken from the rear of the van, but radar is omnidirectional ;). If they have it set (depending on the road), they can pick up cars travelling both directions. If you were close by the time you saw it, unfortunately the chances are pretty good it picked you up before that. However, with 110 on the speedo the chances are also pretty good that the van didn't register you as being over the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kilmac1

No florescent stripe on the rear of the van.
    what happens if you crash into the back of it? claim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Kilmac1 wrote: »
    what happens if you crash into the back of it? claim?

What happens if you crash into the back of anyone??

You think every car on the road should have reflective stripes on the back so you know who to crash into and who not to?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kilmac1

-Chris- wrote: »
    What happens if you crash into the back of anyone??

You think every car on the road should have reflective stripes on the back so you know who to crash into and who not to?

but in the dark most cars have lights on were as these vans have no lights on or reflective strips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

but in the dark most cars have lights on were as these vans have no lights on or reflective strips.

If you can't stop in the distance you can see to be clear, you're going too fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

The ones I've seen have sidelights on and have fully reflective liveries. They also have rear-facing red reflectors the same as every other car does, by law. And they're parked off the road.

Would you be complaining if it was a regular white van parked up without a reflective battenburg pattern on the rear doors? I've seen cars (and vans) far more obnoxiously parked at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladysarastro

Hey. My partner was driving down the green road yesterday and i seen a man (garda i'm assuming) resting something on one arm. There was a flash so i'm guessing it was a speed gum. Do the handheld speed guns have a camera actually attached to them? Or would we have been pulled over straight away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

Reply from NPO:
    Please note that this vehicle was depicted as being over 3500kg in weight, therefore there is a restricted speed allocated to this vehicle. Please refer to the Rules of the Road, Section 8 (page 93).

If this vehicle is 3500kg or less, please forward a copy of the logbook confirming same. Upon receipt of same further consideration will be given to your query.

Nice of them to give consideration... :rolleyes:

To say it one more time, vehicle is NOT HGV. Vehicle is UNDER 3,500kg. Logbook details have been submitted to them to prove this so we'll see if they bother to consider that.

So I guess we let these guys in the van choose what is or isn't a HGV?

I would've assumed the registration would supply them with that information but obviously not.

They also go on to state in their response that I have x amount of days to follow this up.

Advertisement