Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Max: Fury Road

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭brevity

Ya, looks nuts! Some ropey CGI but should be good craic. Heavily influenced by Borderlands, which itself was probably influenced by Mad Max so its all good :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's a much superior trailer to the previous one; full of maniacal energy and those action scenes look absolutely spectacular. I recall a mention in passing by someone involved in the shoot that Fury Road was basically one big car chase, and it's easy to believe that by the looks of that promo.

I still think there's far too much of Charlize Theron in what's supposed to be a Mad Max film, but hopefully that's just the trailer capitalising on the more famous name. Hopefully.
    brevity wrote: »
    Ya, looks nuts! Some ropey CGI but should be good craic. Heavily influenced by Borderlands, which itself was probably influenced by Mad Max so its all good :)

The dust-storm's clearly CGI, how could it not be, but I didn't spot anything else that was overtly CGI, maybe it's cos I didn't yet watch the trailer full-screen. Nothing wrong with CGI anyway if it's conjunction with physical stunt car carnage. And by god the film suggests there'll be plenty of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Hard to judge from a trailer of course, but it at least appears that they've gotten the balance between CGI and actual stunt work right. This has jumped up quite a few places in my "what films I'm excited about for summer 2015" list. And yes, the name of the list needs work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

That looks like it's going to be some fun to watch in the cinema, definitely got that nutty Mad Max feel to it. Looks to be some great shots and art design in that trailer.

Hell, I'd make a poster out of this shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Looks amazing, is it Mad Max though? Reminded me more of the Borderlands games. Only other downside is you dont replace Mel Gibson with Blandy McBland, Tom Hardy.

• Advertisement

• Oak76 wrote: »
    Hard to judge from a trailer of course, but it at least appears that they've gotten the balance between CGI and actual stunt work right. This has jumped up quite a few places in my "what films I'm excited about for summer 2015" list. And yes, the name of the list needs work.

Just "Thar be filums"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭fluke

Thargor wrote: »
    Looks amazing, is it Mad Max though? Reminded me more of the Borderlands games. Only other downside is you dont replace Mel Gibson with Blandy McBland, Tom Hardy.

Seriously, you trolling bro?

• fluke wrote: »
    Seriously, you trolling bro?

Theatricality and deception are powerful agents to the uninitiated....

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

One thing Hardy is not is bland

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

pixelburp wrote: »
    That's a much superior trailer to the previous one; full of maniacal energy and those action scenes look absolutely spectacular. I recall a mention in passing by someone involved in the shoot that Fury Road was basically one big car chase, and it's easy to believe that by the looks of that promo.

I still think there's far too much of Charlize Theron in what's supposed to be a Mad Max film, but hopefully that's just the trailer capitalising on the more famous name. Hopefully.

The dust-storm's clearly CGI, how could it not be, but I didn't spot anything else that was overtly CGI, maybe it's cos I didn't yet watch the trailer full-screen. Nothing wrong with CGI anyway if it's conjunction with physical stunt car carnage. And by god the film suggests there'll be plenty of that

Someone on reddit has posted a comparison of the teaser trailer shown at comic-con and this trailer:

300fn05.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Thargor wrote: »

tumblr_mx3brf95wq1sxerwdo1_500.gif

• Someone on reddit has posted a comparison of the teaser trailer shown at comic-con and this trailer:

300fn05.jpg

I really really hope that the second image is a work in progress or a (bad) joke

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I really really hope that the second image is a work in progress or a (bad) joke

Why?

• Look at the texture and detail stripped both from the ground and the flames. The flames look alive in the unaltered yet some fool has decided to tinker with the colour of the flames and they are over saturated.

The also just seem to have been superimposed with no thought to the original image. Look at the flame in the bottom right of both pics

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Look at the texture and detail stripped both from the ground and the flames. The flames look alive in the unaltered yet some fool has decided to tinker with the colour of the flames and they are over saturated.

The also just seem to have been superimposed with no thought to the original image. Look at the flame in the bottom right of both pics

That's not CGI though, or at least not in the way most would be thinking of: that's just 'simple' colour correction, boosting the saturation for the sake of the visual aesthetic. tbh I think the newer shot looks more alive and bursting with colour.

Yeah they superimposed a few more vehicles into the scene, but so what? All the vehicles are still real, the stunts are still real, the only difference is some FX was used to composite all the separate vehicle action together. Makes total sense to me.

• pixelburp wrote: »
    That's not CGI though, or at least not in the way most would be thinking of: that's just 'simple' colour correction, boosting the saturation for the sake of the visual aesthetic. tbh I think the newer shot looks more alive and bursting with colour.

Yeah they superimposed a few more vehicles into the scene, but so what? All the vehicles are still real, the stunts are still real, the only difference is some FX was used to composite all the separate vehicle action together. Makes total sense to me.

It's oversaturated and the detail has gone, for me and I am not complaining about CGI. I think that it just looks lazy

It's oversaturated and the detail has gone, for me and I am not complaining about CGI. I think that it just looks lazy

Sorry was more in response to JohnFalstaff who posted the original image, comparing the obvious insertion of new elements in the shot: I wouldn't call colour correction as lazy tbh, or really see that much detail lost; and if nothing else it's fairly consistent with what was seen in the rest of the trailer - the bright saturation kinda matches the comicbook tone the film looks to be channeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

After seeing the second trailer I have to say I'm very much looking forward to this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

After seeing the second trailer I have to say I'm very much looking forward to this!!

it's a lovely day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

I hope Hugh Keys-Byrne has a big part in this movie, great for all us hardcore fans of of the first one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

I could have swore I read that the director said that 80% of the stunts contain no CGI whatsoever, and that after reviewing the movie, the producers felt that it was great and actually gave them MORE money for reshoots, including purchasing a "Vehicle Launcher", so I can only imagine that a decent bit has changed since the teaser trailer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

New trailer is all kinds of awesome

Is that Mel Gibson at 131 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

This took awhile to come fruition (Hardy was only able to do tdkr because Fury Road was delayed) but it looks to be worth the wait.

Looks absolutely off the wall with intriguing characters. Could easily go wrong and be a mess but for now I'm excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭KilOit

Isn't this going to be PG-13?
    The original was very gritty and didn't hold back on violence, can't see it working with PG rating. Cut out most of that tacky CGI for a smaller budget and make a proper Mad Max movie that'll do the original justice

Hated all the recent PG-13 remakes, the worst was Robocop :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I'm pretty sure Miller insisted he was creating an R rated film, whether it stays that way is another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I'm pretty sure Miller insisted he was creating an R rated film, whether it stays that way is another thing.

besides have you seen George Miller's kids films?

They can be very dark at points

He's one of the few directors who I'd trust to still pull off some clever dark stuff even if he was forced to get a universal rating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

KilOit wrote: »
    Isn't this going to be PG-13?
    The original was very gritty and didn't hold back on violence, can't see it working with PG rating. Cut out most of that tacky CGI for a smaller budget and make a proper Mad Max movie that'll do the original justice

Hated all the recent PG-13 remakes, the worst was Robocop :(

You haven't even seen the movie and you're already labeling the CGI as tacky, there's barely any in the movie as a whole.

Perhaps wait till it comes out before you review it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭KilOit

You haven't even seen the movie and you're already labeling the CGI as tacky, there's barely any in the movie as a whole.

Perhaps wait till it comes out before you review it!

End of that trailer looked silly, like something out of the star wars prequels. I'll wait and see of course but the from what I seen its very loud and flashy. Original mad max was quite slow and character driven, if the trailer showed all the action and CGI parts I'd be happy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Even if most of the stunts are real, based on the trailer the film has clearly undergone a lot of digital manipulation of the environments compared to say Interstellar where Nolan often chose to forgo scientific accuracy in favour of leaving the shots as digitally untouched as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

New trailer from Japan with some more eye candy:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement