Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How big is too big?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I think too many women are too quick to make excuses for the fact that they are heavy, and just eat too much unhealthy food.

thanks for that mate....best laugh i've had all day.

so you mean to say that if we all stop eating too much unhealthy food the weight will drop off and we'll all be size tens?? wow! i'm amazed nobody came up with this before! :rolleyes:

obviously, yes there are people out there who are overweight because they are unhealthy....but thats not applicable to everyone.

there are people who are a size 14 and are not overweight....due to their build. you dont seem to be getting the point that not everyone above a size ten is overweight.

one of my closest friends is a size 14 and is in no way fat. she is very tall and has a fantastic figure.

there is life beyond the size ten and its not one full of fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

What I was trying to say was that, it's all fine and grand if your personal taste is a liking for people who are overweight but if, like me, you think that girls/women these days are a bit too comfortable accepting fat that that's not a valid opinion, I know that might offend people but I've read posts on this thread saying people find skinny girls v unattractive, so what's the diff??? I think too many women are too quick to make excuses for the fact that they are heavy, and just eat too much unhealthy food. I know there are a lot of unattainable ideals in the media..in fairness most of these women are far smaller than a 10 anyway.

I'm sorry, but this is just total garbage. You seem to be blurting out the opinion that anything over size 10 is automatically "Overweight" or "Heavy" or that if a girl doesn't stick to said size its just letting themselves go.

You are simply talking ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Aurther Hugh

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    I find skinny women so unattractive - for me curves are essential.
    [/I]

I find fat women unattractive- for me a size ten or less is essential

How is my opinon different from the one quoted?? And I do think that girls in general should take a bit better care of themselves instead of eating like men in some kind of femenist statement.

Whatever happened to BLOKES doing similar?

Your whole focus is on womens sizes, what about men?!
    That's a fair point but men's weight is not as central to their self-image, lets face it.... it's not such an issue

I find fat women unattractive- for me a size ten or less is essential

How is my opinon different from the one quoted?? And I do think that girls in general should take a bit better care of themselves instead of eating like men in some kind of femenist statement.

Your opinion is different from the one quoted because you are maintaining some garbled illusion that anything above size 10 is obese.

• Advertisement

Your opinion is different from the one quoted because you are maintaining some garbled illusion that anything above size 10 is obese.
    Obesity was never mentioned, just that a lot of girls are bigger than they should be! And I'm not sure that it differs from the "garbled illusion" that all girls should be curvy or bosomy.

Obesity was never mentioned, just that a lot of girls are bigger than they should be! And I'm not sure that it differs from the "garbled illusion" that all girls should be curvy or bosomy.

This is bordering on sheer stupidity.

How is this statement:
    girls should stick to the size ten

Comparable to this opinion/personal preferance:
    I find skinny women so unattractive - for me curves are essential.

Is it that hard for you to differentiate between a person saying what they personally would prefer, and making a statement that "a lot of girls are bigger than they should be"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭paulcr

A stone is equivalent to how pounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭maccydoodies

14 pounds = 1 stone.

1kg = 2.2 pounds

BTW I failed maths in my leaving!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

14 pounds.

And Aurther Hugh do you think that bones are attractive are you one of those people who thinks that ribs that stick out and no tits is attractive?

Personally give me a girl who is curvy and has everything in proportion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭paulcr

Thank you for the conversion table.

OK where I live most of the women are around 7 to 9 stone range. How does that compare with the women there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

BTW I failed maths in my leaving!!!

Honours or Pass Maths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

And Aurther Hugh do you think that bones are attractive are you one of those people who thinks that ribs that stick out and no tits is attractive?

ugh!

Aurther Hugh - do you find famine victims attractive?

btw - for me curves are essential. Just personal preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Jekell

Aurthur Hugh likes skinnier, other people prefer more curves.

What's the big deal? Some people like blondes, some brunettes

I personally like bigger, bulkier guys - no offence to all the skinny guys! :)

Jekell wrote:
    Aurthur Hugh likes skinnier, other people prefer more curves.

What's the big deal? Some people like blondes, some brunettes

I personally like bigger, bulkier guys - no offence to all the skinny guys! :)

Jesus...thanks! That's what I'm trying to say!! Famine victims...size ten ?!? Not sure what kind of a famine they fell victim to. I just think that a 10 is an ideal...my ideal. That's all!

BTW...someone in the range of 7-9 stone would prob be at the very very most a size 10 if they're an average heigth, say 5'6 or there abouts.

14 pounds.

Personally give me a girl who is curvy and has everything in proportion.

So what if I do?! I don't think that bones are attractive but dont think that big fat curves are either. I don't know why this is proving offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

7 stone at 5' 6" should be in hospital.
    Do you have any idea just how thin an adult would have to be to be 7 stone?

There is a reason why you cannot donate blood if you are under 8 stone - because under that is rarely a healthy weight for an adult.

paulcr - you are in the US surrounded by people who weigh 7 to 9 stone? I'm amazed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Jekell

BTW...someone in the range of 7-9 stone would prob be at the very very most a size 10 if they're an average heigth, say 5'6 or there abouts.

mmm, have to disagree with you there though...
    I am 5'1, 8 stone and a size 8
    If I was 5'6 and 7 stone I would be a skeleton :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

go here to calculate BMI's - http://www.weightwatchers.ie/WWI_Wrapper.aspx?SiteId=12&Page=1017842

if you were to be 5'6 and 7 stone, even 8 stone, you would be underweight, someone 5'6 should be about 10 stone to be in the middle healthy range...

Now in saying that, Aurther Hugh is quite entitled to like skinny girls, some people think that skinny is gross, other's think that fat is gross, it is a matter of personal opinion at the end of the day.

We don't have the right to say that a skinny person is ugly if we are not a size 10 or less ourselves... But then just because you don't like something yourself should mean that you can dismiss someone elses opinion.

Of course there are exceptions, if the person is genuinely ugly though! heh heh!

tbh the BMI index is pretty messed up it was created by insurance companies and takes no account of muscle. It is rough idea but i wouldn't take it as gospel some of the rugby players in my school are technically obese according to that. so yeah

• Advertisement

Jekell wrote:
    mmm, have to disagree with you there though...
    I am 5'1, 8 stone and a size 8
    If I was 5'6 and 7 stone I would be a skeleton :)

If you read the post correctly I think you'll find that what you're saying is agreeing with what I said.

According to that if you are any less than 9 stone at 5'6" then you are underweight 9stones brings you exactly to a BMI of 20 so i would expect the gierl to be at least 9 stone if not more4 like 10

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

a lot of girls are bigger than they should be!

Is what they *should* be the same as what you'd like them to be? Or is it something completely objective?

And I'm not sure that it differs from the "garbled illusion" that all girls should be curvy or bosomy.

Most girls are Naturally Curvy and Bosomy.....curves are there because of a)Wide hips for childbearing and b)Fat that settles on said hips for insulation. There are planty of women out there who are curvy w/o being fat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Feminine curves are one thing and while there are plenty of women out there who are curvy without being fat, there are an increasing amount of women(and men) that are just plain fat. Lack of exercise and bad diet are 90% to blame.

There was a good article in new scientist a few months back that detailed the changing body shape of humanity in the last 50yrs. Basically much less women now have the curvy hourglass figure of the past. Nowadays they're more likely to be apple shaped and collect excess fat around the belly. This is more unhealthy for the heart and more mirrors the male pot belly(which is just as unattractive IMO). If it was just in the genes we wouldn't be seeing changes this big.

I agree that relying on clothes sizes is silly. I know some women at size 14/16 that look more "sexy" than others who are size 10. I seem to remember that there's a hip/waist ratio of .7 (I think) that makes a woman more sexually atractive regardless of her overall weight. Kate moss and marilyn monroe had the same ratio and they were very different weights.

For me I find a smaller waist and wider hip a lot more appealing than either a skinny or fat woman with a waist and hip the same size. Bring back waists. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

ive read most of the posts here and to be honest i find it quite disturbing the mentions of only a size 10!?!?! when is the world going to stop all this crap??? have u ever actually seen how attitudes are practically killing ppl these days!?! and as for the question "how fat is fat?" its personal taste really but im 5"8 and a size 18/20 and ive never had any complaints!! and to all those girls over a size 10!?! be proud that ur not trying to be just another supermodel!!! who disappears in behind all the rest!! be yourself and stand out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Your a curious character KittenKiller, what with your poll on how many people youve slept with..
    Anywho, the only clearcut way of determining if someone is fat, or for arguments sake obese, is to do a bmi test on the person....
    In terms of personal taste, well that boils down to the person doesn't it..
    If you dig fat chicks/dudes then fair play to you, different horses etc.
    I myself like a nice bit of meat, something to hold onto as they say, but not too much, on the other foot stick insects dont do it for me...
    curves rock, flab hanging out over jeans is disgusting...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

tbh the BMI index is pretty messed up it was created by insurance companies and takes no account of muscle. It is rough idea but i wouldn't take it as gospel some of the rugby players in my school are technically obese according to that. so yeah

Fat people always say this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It is down to personal taste and I've found most men find overly skinny women a turn off. It's the same when it comes to overly fat women too though.

For me anything over 14/16 (depending on height) would be a bit too much of a good thing, especially the "flab hanging over jeans" scenario described by Keyzer. A belly on a woman is nice, a gut isn't.

If you can't see your knees without leaning forward, it's time for a rethink on the amount and quality of food you're eating. I'm sorry, but when you see what was once called middle aged spread on people in their early 20's you have to wonder. An average curvy body looks healthy. An overly skinny or fat one doesn't.

Early onset heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and arthritus. These are the things that make that kind of fat unattractive to me.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Sangre wrote:
    Fat people always say this.

Thin people too. According to the BMI, I'm underweight yet I eat what I want and function perfectly. To get into the BMI's "normal" range, I'd have to stuff myself with junk constantly and never move - hardly healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

simu wrote:
    Thin people too. According to the BMI, I'm underweight yet I eat what I want and function perfectly. To get into the BMI's "normal" range, I'd have to stuff myself with junk constantly and never move - hardly healthy.

The BMI you calculate yourself isn't true BMI.

In order to calculate your true BMI a variety of things need to be measured. Physically for instance, you'd need to measure pelvic width, shoulder width and in cases of women, cup size.

Advertisement