Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MBP spillage! :(

• 21-08-2011 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭

I am so angry with myself right now! :mad:

So long story short... I came home last night quite late and decided that I wanted to quickly check my emails before I went to bed. So I opened my MacBook Pro and went searching. Before I knew it I had spilled a quarter of a glass of water on the keyboard of my MBP.

I felt like crying right then and there!

I did all the steps (dried it quickly, powered down, turned it over and left it for a day). I went back to it about a day later and all seemed ok. It powered on fine and I was presented with my password screen. I decided to take that opportunity to check all the keys to see if they worked... Got about half way through and my machine froze. I decided to turn off my machine and leave it until I got home from work. However when the machine powered down, it turned itself back on with out me doing anything. This went on for about 3/4 times before I decided to carry out a manual shut-down.

I went back to my device tonight and... nothing :mad::mad::mad:

The adaptor says that it is taking a charge, however the power button isn't working and the battery checker on the side is also showing no lights.

I have wrapped it up in a towel and I am going to leave it in the hot-press for a day or two before I go back to it again. If it fails after that then I will be forced to bring it to Back-from-the-Future for a diagnostic and quote.

I have a strong suspicion that I am now the not-so-proud owner of the worlds most expensive paper weight!

Its so annoying to me that when I originally got the device, I was so protective of it and now 1 year down the line... it is me that has f**ked it all up.

If any of you have any advise then I am all ears...

I can say now that I have learned my lesson the expensive way. No more food or drink anywhere near my device

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

"turned it over and left it for a day"
    129096215067414226.jpg

You leave it, in the hotpress, FOR A WEEK MINIMUM.

What happens is you dry it as you have detailed, and get 95% of the moisture out. You then boot it, and it works, but at some point that little tiny droplet sitting in the side of the case dislodges and shorts the MOBO. By by device.

You have no option to send it back for repair(and spend the guts of its retail value on a repair(new mobo likely)) or buy a new laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I know... huge mistake on my part. I guess I can see where this months wage is going! I will be very surprised if I haven't fecked up the MOBO already! I think at this stage the result from this will be that I will be forced to go and get a new laptop.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Dry it out for *days* in a hot press. And take the battery out immediately! Ideally you'd get as much rice as possible, fill a box/container and when you have dried the laptop as much as possible pop it in the middle of the container.

Your hard drive may still be okay, i wouldn't go spending a tonne of money on recovery when all it might need is a hard drive enclosure which costs a tenner, and a screw driver to take apart the MBP.

Should I be concerned about the fact that it wouldn't turn on when I tried it today and that there was no light coming from the battery indicator? Is it already too late?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Should I be concerned about the fact that it wouldn't turn on when I tried it today and that there was no light coming from the battery indicator? Is it already too late?

Unplug all power from it and leave it for a few days. That's all you can do at this stage. After 3/4 days give it a go. Other than that there's not much you can do to be honest.

At this stage I would probably take it apart as much as possible too, but it's not really necessary.

• Advertisement

I think I got off lightly with this one!

Checked my laptop yesterday after 5 days drying out and there was still no sign of life. Brought it to "Back from the Future" and within a day they had repaired it.

Turned out that I had fecked up my logic keyboard and power button. They replaced these parts and charged me €110 for the job. Sound lads in there. Did a great job... Feels like a new laptop.

Thanks for you help guys on the thread.
    Gav

Advertisement