Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Allergies

Options
  • 08-01-2011 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering how many people have an allergy or even an intolerance to something. If you do tell us what it is.

I've developed an allergy to something since November, and am trying to figure out what it is. It's got me curious as to how many people deal with allergies.

Do you have an allergy? 81 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    67% 55 votes
    I have an intolerance
    32% 26 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

not allergic to anything
    but very intolerant of a lot of things people

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I saw a documentary about allergies in some remote island in the phillippines or somewhere. Basically, there was 2 sets of people. The ones who lived near the beach, and had some sort of western influenced civilisation, and the other group were tribal and lived in the middle of the island up in the forest.

The people living in the tribes had absolutely no allergies. 0%!
    The people living in the more civilised areas, with their washing detergent and proper sanitation and stuff, had a good few allergies.

They concluded allergies were developed when your immune system is bored basically. For example, it has no germs or dirt or anything to attack, so it just attacks itself!

So, let that be a lesson to ya! Stop showering and your allergies will go away!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Used to get hayfever when I was younger but have grown out of it, thank ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I get terrible hayfever every summer, I always have to carry my tablets with me and if I forget them I have to turn back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Used to get hayfever when I was younger but have grown out of it, thank ****.

I hope this happens to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

My sister developed hayfever after having her first child. how weird is that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

I hope this happens to me.
    Collect loads of pollen and start doing heroic lines of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Hay fever, but that's all, and I never suffer too badly with it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I'm one of the few in my family that doesn't have serious allergies. Am allergic to some washing powders, and have a bit of a dairy intolerance and that's bout it. Oh and am allergic to them rub on tattoos you used to get in bubble gum years ago. But not like i use them anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I had an annaphylactic shock reaction to a spice, 3 years later they're still investigating what caused it. I have 3 anapens and anti-histimines at the ready and just before christmas i ended up in hospital for 4 days with erythema nodosum, which is an autoimmune response to something in the body,(basically allergic to myself:D:rolleyes:) anything from pregnancy to a viral infection to lukemia.. will have results on tuesday to see what caused that.. but the older i'm getting the more allergies i'm getting, so far in order it paracetamol, adhesive on plasters, latex a random spice, and i'm dairy intolerant.

My husband thinks i should be put down, it'd be cheaper :pac:
    And here's a bit of useless information about allergies.... you can develop them at any stage in your life and they can disappear ramdomly too...:eek:

• Advertisement

Feck cbyrd!

maybe you should be put down! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I'm intolerant to intolerance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

cbyrd wrote: »
    paracetamol, adhesive on plasters, latex a random spice, and i'm dairy intolerant.

My husband thinks i should be put down, it'd be cheaper :pac:
    And here's a bit of useless information about allergies.... you can develop them at any stage in your life and they can disappear ramdomly too...:eek:

Good lord, you sound like me :eek:

I am allergic to:
    trees
    grass
    hay
    pollen
    dander
    feathers
    any animal with fur/hair
    dustmites
    mold
    bees
    latex
    the adhesive on bandages
    aspirin

My husband says I should just live in a bubble :o

jujibee wrote: »
    Good lord, you sound like me :eek:

I am allergic to:
    trees
    grass
    hay
    pollen
    dander
    feathers
    any animal with fur/hair
    dustmites
    mold
    bees
    latex
    the adhesive on bandages
    aspirin

My husband says I should just live in a bubble :o

how did you figure out all of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

If heat rash is an allergic reaction, then yes.

Your gp can refer you for testing in hospital that specialize.. either Beaumont or Mater Private, you get skin tests done and if these are inconclusive then they do it by bloods. this takes longer, i'm so allergic that i can't have the skin testing on the spice, hence i'm a lot of years getting through them.. the skin testing takes about an hour in total.;)

Your gp can refer you for testing in hospital that specialize.. either Beaumont or Mater Private, you get skin tests done and if these are inconclusive then they do it by bloods. this takes longer, i'm so allergic that i can't have the skin testing on the spice, hence i'm a lot of years getting through them.. the skin testing takes about an hour in total.;)

i'm waiting on an appointment with an immunologist, just have no idea when it's going to be :rolleyes: meanwhile i think my anti histamine is having less and less effect on the allergy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Nowt.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

pollen
    dust
    cats
    other peoples dogs (this is important, my dog had v short hair and im fine with her :P)

and msg

Id love a good takeaway :(

i'm waiting on an appointment with an immunologist, just have no idea when it's going to be :rolleyes: meanwhile i think my anti histamine is having less and less effect on the allergy.

Its really a process of elimination, even with the testing. You have to go back to the day it started and list everything you ate, wore drank, places you were products you used it all contributes..
    How is it manifesting?? rash or swellings?? :)

• Advertisement

Its really a process of elimination, even with the testing. You have to go back to the day it started and list everything you ate, wore drank, places you were products you used it all contributes..
    How is it manifesting?? rash or swellings?? :)

Ah feck i thought they'd do tests and then i'd know.

It's both. starts off with a rash and itching like mad, though where varies. and if it goes on too long my urine turns brown, lips swell and my chest gets wheezy.

Hope i dont' get into trouble for this, it sounds like anaphylaxis my hands and feet get mad itchy and i'd nearly be ripping the skin off myself and the swelling too, i was lucky when it happened to me my airways didn't swell, i was just going into heartfailure :eek:my bp dropped to 57 over 27 luckily i was in A and E at this stage.

The only way i found out what it even might be was to list everything i ate and used that day. i was able to eliminate a lot of things by eating them again. But as soon as i had a homemade curry it happened again, although not as severe.It was about 6 months after the first reaction. So i had my list of ingredients to work off. I was originally tested in the Mater Private, It cost me €78 and i was able to get an appointment within a week or 2. They were inconclusive. So i attend Beaumont, its public cos no private appointments available now, so it takes 6 months between visits.
    I'm surprised your GP is letting you wait so long if it's so severe? do you have any idea what triggers it ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

just lactose intolerant

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Nuts
    Grass
    Tree Pollen
    Duck Feathers
    Dog Hait
    Cat Hair
    Onions
    Goose Feathers
    Dustmites

think thats about it. The nut one is mental though i can't even talk to someone that has eaten a nut cause the smell off their breath can trigger a reaction.

Have no idea what's causing it. it's constant. or well would be without my telfast. though there is some variance in how long the telfast holds it off for.

don't worry i'm not taking advice here or looking for a diagnosis. I was a little scared yesterday my throat was going to close up, but hasn't happened yet. have a doctors appointment tuesday and so i'll talk to her about how bad it is then. I was on steroids a couple of times there too.

never knew an allergy could be so bad. well I suppose I never expected to have one.

Have no idea what's causing it. it's constant. or well would be without my telfast. though there is some variance in how long the telfast holds it off for.

don't worry i'm not taking advice here or looking for a diagnosis. I was a little scared yesterday my throat was going to close up, but hasn't happened yet. have a doctors appointment tuesday and so i'll talk to her about how bad it is then. I was on steroids a couple of times there too.

never knew an allergy could be so bad. well I suppose I never expected to have one.

It can be very frustrating and very scary at times, but the longer you have it the less you worry, it does give you some prespective on life though, you just never know the day or the hour.. my attitude to life now is " Here for a good time not a long time" :pac: I hope you get some results soon and if you need unburden to someone who's in the know feel free to PM ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Gluten and dairy intolerant. Found out mainly by trial and error.Hope you get sorted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No known allergies at the moment meself.

How do you manage with a dairy allergy.... can't imagine it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

How do you manage with a dairy allergy.... can't imagine it

one of my mates can't drink beer cause he's allergic to wheat

Advertisement