Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Monday

<snipping the whinging wussiness>

I have another tough turbo tonight and i have Fight Club Sufferfest video lined up for that.
    Not going to work for you - its going to pi$$ the absolute sh1t out of you as the music and scenes won't be in sync with your session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

was there an option 'Would you like regular insults with your training plans?' in your coaching application form JB ? You appear to be getting your money's worth. ;)

Best of luck with the training (to you both) over the next couple of months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »
    *cough* biatch............. Oh no I am sick. You wussed out in barcelona cause of a rash on the back of your left hand. I hope you don't get something in your eye on the plane to Germany and drop out of Roth.

I have just re read my post there Mr Dandy and i do sound like a whiney biatch, you must be rubbing off on me:)
    Not going to work for you - its going to pi$$ the absolute sh1t out of you as the music and scenes won't be in sync with your session.

Probably just stick to Hell hath on Fury one so.
    interested wrote: »
    was there an option 'Would you like regular insults with your training plans?' in your coaching application form JB ? You appear to be getting your money's worth. ;)

Best of luck with the training (to you both) over the next couple of months.

Ah its all good banter, think of the sh1t he will have to listen to on the plane home.
    So Mr Dandy why did you not break 11hrs
    Why did you nearly drown at the aid stations drinking from a cup
    Did it really take you 4.5 hours to complete the marathon
    Why did you sh1t yourself
    Are you giving up the sport now

And so on:)

I have just re read my post there Mr Dandy and i do sound like a whiney biatch, you must be rubbing off on me:)

Probably just stick to Hell hath on Fury one so.

Yip - 2x20 in HHNF

Plus its women in lycra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Ah its all good banter, think of the sh1t he will have to listen to on the plane home.
    So Mr Dandy why did you not break 11hrs
    Why did you nearly drown at the aid stations drinking from a cup
    Did it really take you 4.5 hours to complete the marathon
    Why did you sh1t yourself
    Are you giving up the sport now

And so on:)

Its seriously entertaining, im just sorry it cant be you-tubed for the masses - would make an incredible 'Little-triathlon' stylee vid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Now the music on Fight Club is proper music-none of this 2 Unlimited stuff ;)

catweazle wrote: »
    Now the music on Fight Club is proper music-none of this 2 Unlimited stuff ;)

What I really want is to be able to load a YouTube playlist into Golden Cheetah and have that play music videos while it controls your ERG sessions.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

I had full winter gear on tights included...anything to practice the heat in Roth:p

Is it not too soon for heat acclimation for Roth :confused: Or will you be 'heat training' constantly until then? Is this just intended to get you used to hydrating more or is there other benefits at this stage? Or does your Coach just like to make you sweat ;)
    (p.s. you might also enquire from him about that Austria tips post he mentioned he was going to post :))

RedB wrote: »
    Is it not too soon for heat acclimation for Roth :confused: Or will you be 'heat training' constantly until then? Is this just intended to get you used to hydrating more or is there other benefits at this stage? Or does your Coach just like to make you sweat ;)
    (p.s. you might also enquire from him about that Austria tips post he mentioned he was going to post :))

I know I've not started my heat acclimatisation for Roth yet as its far too early. I'd imagine Fran just got the notion into his head to do it. I'm sure when its time his coach will tell him to do it and how.

Getting your sweat rate up and familiarity being the main gains from it.

RedB wrote: »
    I know I've not started my heat acclimatisation for Roth yet as its far too early. I'd imagine Fran just got the notion into his head to do it. I'm sure when its time his coach will tell him to do it and how.

Getting your sweat rate up and familiarity being the main gains from it.

Yeah as Tunney suggested i got the notion in my head:). The opportunity presented itself as i had to do my long bike indoors so i got suited and booted for the turbo. I can tell you the session took a decent whack out of me and i took a lot of fluids on board although i was still able to run a fast pace off the bike for an easy effort which was good.
    Most of us Irish do not race well in the heat and it was very evident from the training i done over in Turkey that you need to adapt to biking and running in those warm conditions. Is it to early? probably but i know it will stand to me on the day and lets be honest we are not likely to have many days of the sun splitting the trees.
    Hydration will be so important in Roth and for you in Austria for similar conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey solid effort on the 10k. You can never tel hothat will go i the middle of IM training so pointless trying to skim anything fom it of value. Just a good tempo run.

Now messing is over, Roth game face on!

Tuesday
    60min turbo with 2x20mins @100% FTP
    I stupidly got greedy with this tonight. Hit the first one nicely just over my FTP at 285w and got thoughts of greatness for the second one. Off i tore into the second one and was averaging 325w, power was gradually dropping though to 320w, then 315w though and i was hurting a lot. I had to abort about 12 mins in as i was fvked. In retrospect i was stupid attempting this with the head cold and only my second real threshold session in a good few weeks. Lesson learnt stick to the plan next time.
    Time:60mins, Dist:37.8kms, Power: AP252/NP264, Cad:75, TSS:109
    Hey solid effort on the 10k. You can never tel hothat will go i the middle of IM training so pointless trying to skim anything fom it of value. Just a good tempo run.

Now messing is over, Roth game face on!

Yeah Mike myself and coach knew not to expect much from it, a bit of fun but very much back to Roth focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Enough of the messing now Fran, with the premature hot weather sim. and last nights stunt, time to get back on the carefully planned track ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Enough of the messing now Fran, with the premature hot weather sim. and last nights stunt, time to get back on the carefully planned track ;)

+1

and I'm saying this from painful experience too. Stick to the plan! You took on a Coach for a reason, the sessions are planned for a reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

+1 on the above,

your first rep was perfect, excellent pacing.

I know I know:o I got carried away chasing another 20w on to my FTP in the second rep and paid for it!!

Hit the first one nicely just over my FTP at 285w and got thoughts of greatness for the second one. Off i tore into the second one and was averaging 325w
    I know I know:o I got carried away chasing another 20w on to my FTP in the second rep and paid for it!!

325-285 = 20???

325-285 = 20???

I meant a 20w improvement on FTP rather than actual wattage.
    Current FTP 284w, i was holding around 320/5w starting off so .95 would have been around 304w and a 20w improvement on FTP but hey i was a bit of a gimp:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Based on the 2x20 method would the first rep not also need to be at 325watts?

The idea is you do two 20 minute all out... not one at old FTP and one all out?

mloc123 wrote: »

+1

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »

I read the testing protocols before but cannot recall is the 2x20 method both balls out and .95 of that? I know the T5+T20 has you going balls out for the 5min portion to help deplete the use and recruitment of your fast twitch muscles which could skew the 20min FTP test. Need to remember this was not a test and more me being a gimp to see what i could do on the second one:o

Wednesday
    Swim
    Total set was 3400mtrs mixed with some b+b work and a mix of 200, 150, 100 and some fast 50s. I am not sure what is going on with my swimming since coming back from Turkey but i have lost my feel for the water and my swimming is going backwards. Technique is gone sloppy and i feel like i am swimming like a brick, times are a good 10/15secs down per 100 to previous.
    Hopefully its a temporary glitch but its rocked the confidence a little. I just need one real good swim session to recover the swim mojo a little. I have a bit set tomorrow so hopefully it goes well.
    Time:1:17, Dist:3400mtrs

Late Run
    I did not get out until very late by the time i had dinner made, kids homework done and kids off to bed. Ended up nodding off for half an hour after doing bedtime stories:rolleyes:
    Anyways, out into the pissing rain and wind for just an ok run. Aim was to run progressively faster which i done starting out at 5min km pace down to 4min km pace. The last 1.5km was easy home up the hill. Effort felt easy up to around km 6 and shifted into steady effort after.
    Time:49:42, Dist:10.81kms, Pace:4.36km, TSS:93

Thursday
    75min easy turbo
    Up at 6am and on the turbo for 6.15am. 75mins of easy spinning watching the team time trial for the Giro. Took me about 20mins to fully wake up.
    Time:1:15, Dist:42.4kms, Power:AP204/NP205, Cad:83, TSS:82, KJ:917

Short/easy lunchtime run
    Ended up on the dreadmill as did not fancy another soaking at lunchtime. 30minutes of bordedom at a very slow almost recovery 4.55km pace.
    Time:30mins, Dist:6.11kms, Pace:4.55km

I have two social events to attend on Fri/Sat and i know if i drink at one or both it will fvk my weekend training up so the plan is to stay dry for both. Training takes priority and the beer will have to wait until after Roth.

Friday
    Swim and a run done, cannot be a$$ed loading stats. At least swim was decent enough and I slowed everything down. I feel i swim very well with the buoy stuck between the legs.

Saturday
    A long bike cut short after 2hrs and 67kms as i broke a spoke on the back wheel and it was badly warped rubbing off the frame. Probably just as well as i should have been in my bed not out cycling. Waited two hours to be collected and was a shivering mess when i got home.
    Never have i hated so much being on a bike and Michelle gave out fvk to me when i got home "told you so" and she was right. We went out on the Sat night at a 30th and i hit the hotel leaba early....far too many you don't look well comments, doing too much blah blah blah.....head wrecked.

Sunday
    Nada, in bed all day shivering/sweating, a good 15hr sleep interval session if that counts as training. In a jock.

Monday
    Another day missed, still not 100% right

I have a pain in my rocks not being able to train properly. I also look like i have been frequenting the working girls in Leeson St with cold sores on my mouth. I am also sick and tired of picking up far too many viruses/bugs, contemplating staying in my Mothers in the week leading up to Roth:rolleyes:
    Overall a poor 11hr week put down.
    Staying off the logs for a while until i get back up and running properly. #endrant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I hear you Fran. Frustrating as hell. Just ignore the comments and try to recover as best you can. Stay positive and focus on getting healthy and back training.

I've just been told not to come home tonight because I've just got another cold sore, 1 day after getting rid of the last one. 10 weeks of cold sores now. Driving me cracked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Sorry JB, at least its now and not in 9 weeks time.

I have been plagued with cold sores myself and started taking Super 1 formula (or something like that) from Holland and Barrett, its a multi vitamin which contains Lysine, which is a natural supplement and supposed to help.

haven't had one since and should have gotten one after the marathon, felt i was due one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

BennyMul wrote: »
    I have been plagued with cold sores myself and started taking Super 1 formula (or something like that) from Holland and Barrett, its a multi vitamin which contains Lysine, which is a natural supplement and supposed to help.

haven't had one since and should have gotten one after the marathon, felt i was due one :(

Yes I've heard good things about Lysine too.
    Anyway head up lad. This is just a little blip

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I know it doesn't help AT ALL when others who are training tell you it will all be ok, but just want to sympathise anyway. Getting sick is pants. Hope you get back on form in good time.

We all have our own personal nutritional lucky charm, mine is manuka honey, if you feel like trying it.

I've been taking 1000mg of Lysine daily for the last few weeks. It ain't worth jack!!! :mad:

1 swim, a bike and 2 runs all done easy and garminless. Its really only on this mornings run i felt i was coming back to normal from whatever i had. This week will be put down as an easy/recovery one. I was bit like those recent Snickers tv ads......i don't cope well when i cannot train:rolleyes:
    I got a good bit of perspective from the missus and my coach, its not my living, i am not a pro and above all it's my hobby and one which should be enjoyed. Perhaps i was putting too much pressure on for Roth and lost sight of actually enjoying my training.
    Still learning that this game is not all about just getting out and doing the training its about using the brain and dealing with the training lows from time to time and when to let go of sessions.
    Hopefully back up and running properly for next week.

• Advertisement

Good to hear you're returning to full health.

I'm not sure it's anything to do with it being a hobby. I think your body starts to crave the endorphins that exercise generates and when you stop it's like cold turkey and can cause crankiness, etc.

I had a similar rollicking a few days ago and was told "I'd never thought I'd say but I wish to fcuk you could start back training". Never nice to hear, especially when you think you're not being a grouch :(

Advertisement