Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oasis split

• 28-08-2009 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭

Sad news - is this finally the end for Oasis? I know they "split" in the past, but looks like that's that for Noel and he's finished.

http://www.oasisinet.com/NewsArticle.aspx?n=773
    A STATEMENT FROM NOEL

28 August 2009

"It's with some sadness and great relief to tell you that I quit Oasis tonight. People will write and say what they like, but I simply could not go on working with Liam a day longer.

"Apologies to all the people who bought tickets for the shows in Paris, Konstanz and Milan."
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭The_Joker

Finally some good news for the weekend

I suppose they'll do a massive reformation gig like 90% of the other bands!

Tossers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Hopefully now Noel will release a solo album now. I can't listen to Liam's shhhhhiiiiiiiiitttttttteeee voice anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Meh...seen this all before...they'll be back together next week.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sockpuppets

in fairness they should have split after whats the story, everything they have done since then has been well below par

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fingerbob

in fairness they should have split after whats the story, everything they have done since then has been well below par

No band has topped Morning Glory or Definitely maybe since and they still produced great music since then, its hard to beat perfection. Didn't think they actually would split, Nicole Appleton in the sun yesterday sayin they would go on till they're old men. I doubt never means never with the gallagher brothers though.

• Advertisement

fingerbob wrote: »
    No band has topped Morning Glory or Definitely maybe since and they still produced great music since then, its hard to beat perfection. Didn't think they actually would split, Nicole Appleton in the sun yesterday sayin they would go on till they're old men. I doubt never means never with the gallagher brothers though.

Ah come on now, id hardly call either of those albums perfection, they were very good but far from perfection, and noels songwriting has been on the wane ever since. Im just saying if they had split then, they would be cult legends, even more so then the stone roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Seemingly the two brothers had a major fight backstage tonight, then their tour manager went onstage to tell the crowd (in Paris) that the show was cancelled, only minutes before it was due to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Honestly I would much rather see an acoustic Noel show than a full oasis show, especially with some of the **** they have put with the last few albums. I'm sure this sentiment is shared by a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fingerbob

Ah come on now, id hardly call either of those albums perfection, they were very good but far from perfection, and noels songwriting has been on the wane ever since. Im just saying if they had split then, they would be cult legends, even more so then the stone roses.

What your saying is true but they are legends as it is and Noel's back catalogue of songs that don't include songs from either of those albums is amazing. Even some of Liam's songs are up there. Even they're b sides are great, all you have to do is listen to the masterplan album to realise that. They're still capable of writing great songs and performing great gigs. Slane this year was the best gig I've ever been too and for once Liam's voice was spot on. Had a feeling that it was the last time I was seeing them but they'll have a reunion tour without a doubt after Noel dicks around for a few years with a solo career.

fingerbob wrote: »
    What your saying is true but they are legends as it is and Noel's back catalogue of songs that don't include songs from either of those albums is amazing. Even some of Liam's songs are up there. Even they're b sides are great, all you have to do is listen to the masterplan album to realise that. They're still capable of writing great songs and performing great gigs. Slane this year was the best gig I've ever been too and for once Liam's voice was spot on. Had a feeling that it was the last time I was seeing them but they'll have a reunion tour without a doubt after Noel dicks around for a few years with a solo career.

actually i do have to agree with you about the b-sides, they had some good ones alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Excellent news.

If you had broken this new to me ten years ago I would have been a lickle bit sad. But really, who gives a toss now. They were great back in the day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

woo hoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

so gutted, really liked 'dig out your soul' and was anticipating their next album :( such a shame

at least i got to see them at slane before they split

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Gutted

One of my big regrets is not getting to see them live.

Don't think any band has a collection of b sides as good as 'The Masterplan'

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭goddevil

The best news i've heard all week....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

They were well past their sell by date! Made some great albums but leave it be fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

It's about time they split. Got old fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

It was bound to happen though in fairness, one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Definitely Maybe is one of the greatest debut albums by any band ever, Whats the Story is an absolute classic and Heathen Chemistry has to be one of the most underrated albums of the last 20 years, it really is a cracking little album. Thats not even mentioning the Masterplan which is a collection of b-sides that sh1ts all over 90% of most bands A material. Thats not a bad legacy for a band imo....and they were incredible live.

Their other stuff is dodgy. Ive still always given them the benefit of the doubt and defended Be Here Now and Standing on the Shoulder but it has to be said, even as a fanboy, dont believe the truth was poor and their latest album was absolutely awful. Dig out your soul was a huge disapointment and by far the worst thing they have ever done.

Still a sad day for me as Im a huge fan. They were a lot better than they are often given credit for these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Ok guys well done so far and let's keep ot civil from here on in. So far i'll let people say they are happy to hear Oasis have split as long as it does not go any further than a post, if you continually keep bashing on about it there will be bannings.

I'll also ask Oasis fans to not take any bait laid and report any posts they do not like.

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Definitely Maybe is one of the greatest debut albums by any band ever, Whats the Story is an absolute classic and Heathen Chemistry has to be one of the most underrated albums of the last 20 years, it really is a cracking little album. Thats not even mentioning the Masterplan which is a collection of b-sides that sh1ts all over 90% of most bands A material. Thats not a bad legacy for a band imo....and they were incredible live.

Their other stuff is dodgy. Ive still always given them the benefit of the doubt and defended Be Here Now and Standing on the Shoulder but it has to be said, even as a fanboy, dont believe the truth was poor and their latest album was absolutely awful. Dig out your soul was a huge disapointment and by far the worst thing they have ever done.

Still a sad day for me as Im a huge fan. They were a lot better than they are often given credit for these days.

I quite enjoyed DOYS actually,Ive always been a huge fan of theirs.
    Saw them a month ago in Camden at an intimate gig..you could definitely feel the tension between the 2 of them,but alas they are brothers.

I feel a day of Oasis music coming on

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Sad news indeed. One of the truly great and iconic British bands. I'm sure there'll be solo albums which will be interesting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Sad news indeed. One of the truly great and iconic British bands. I'm sure there'll be solo albums which will be interesting..

I dunno, I see it more as a hiatus.....we might see a long awaited Noel solo album now, which I think might be very good.

And I dont buy in to this "Oasis havent done anything good since 1995" bull****, plenty brilliant songs on their albums since then to make a mockery of that comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Terrible shame.:(

Gotta say i love the last two albums.
    I feel that it was on the middle three albums where they really lost their way and earned their reputation amongst many as being uninspired,pub rock etc...

I suspect if Noel gets a taste of a solo career there will be no chance of him ever going back to Oasis...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭3DataModem

A great band whose best days were definitely behind them.

Saw them in the Tivoli, Point and supporting REM in Slaine and they kicked ass.

Maybe Gem will reform heavy stereo? ;)

If you had broken this new to me ten years ago I would have been a lickle bit sad. But really, who gives a toss now. They were great back in the day though.

wow - i don't even remember leaving this post :o

I don't even agree with my own statement! It is sad news, my teenage years were spent singing along to Oasis, not a big fan of their newer stuff but I would still be sitting fingers on buzzers waiting for their tickets to go on sale when they are doing a gig here. Saw them three times, most recently at slane, where, even though it was a great gig, they had lost some of their chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Wow,Ive always hated the Bloc Party, but what a muppet

jackncoke wrote: »

what a d*ck??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

jackncoke wrote: »

ha, I hate bloc party but that did make me laugh

Advertisement