Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric cars (bewbs inside)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,580 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

^ And taken to its next logical conclusion: Wireless car charging

http://gizmodo.com/5727569/watch-a-tesla-roadster-get-charged-wirelessly

Whats to say we couldn't in theory build a motorway that would charge-up electrics while they were on the highway? It would be an excellent way to extend the range of the electric vehicle, considering that for most extended range drives you'll wind up on a highway of some sort, you don't have to power every road, just the major ones. In the US for example you're never that far from the Interstate.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

meh , until bmw make an electric equivalent of a 760il or ford make an electric f350 that have the same performance, price and dont look like a space ship for male hair stylists I have no interest in an electric car

also

http://amgmercedes.info/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/AMG-engine6.jpg this is a 6.2l v12 bi-turbo engine that mercedes built , I am doubtful any electric engine could ever sound as nice or be half as cool

meh , until bmw make an electric equivalent of a 760il or ford make an electric f350 that have the same performance, price and dont look like a space ship for male hair stylists I have no interest in an electric car

also

http://amgmercedes.info/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/AMG-engine6.jpg this is a 6.2l v12 bi-turbo engine that mercedes built , I am doubtful any electric engine could ever sound as nice or be half as cool

When steam power was giving way to the internal combustion engine, there were many that said things comparable to the above. The definition of "cool" can change. It's certainly possible to make fast electric cars (tesla roadster), in fact electric motors can be made up to ten times more powerful than an internal combustion engine of similar size.

It's the comparitevely limited range that will be the hardest problem to overcome.

When steam power was giving way to the internal combustion engine, there were many that said things comparable to the above. The definition of "cool" can change. It's certainly possible to make fast electric cars (tesla roadster), in fact electric motors can be made up to ten times more powerful than an internal combustion engine of similar size.

It's the comparitevely limited range that will be the hardest problem to overcome.

I still think steam trains are cool :D but internal combustion engines bested steam in every way , electric cars as youve said have a range problem , the only way to fix it is new battery technology and I dont think well be seeing the advances in my lifetime to be able to match the s65amg merc or the 760il bmw on speed, price, range and servicing cost

my biggest problem with electric cars is that nobody can make one that doesnt look like an electric car, the prius looks like something stevie wonder designed

An Electric F350... I think your expectations are still a bit high. High performance vehicles, like F350s, 18-Wheelers, Tanks, Ferarris, 787s, Rocket Boosters, These will all still require the chemical power fuel provides for some time yet. That's no reason to ignore the hundreds of millions sedans on the road that can all benefit from it now and truth be told, we need to conserve those fuels for things that will matter later, like space exploration. The daily commute or the milk run are not exactly things that require fuel.
    internal combustion engines bested steam in every way
    Im sure they weren't nearly at the same price point, as you list as one of your unrealistic expectations for planetary alignment switching to electric. Servicing cost will definitely go down. I imgagine there are a lot more parts and technical expertise and routine parts and labor required to maintain a V8 than there is a Voltec.
    my biggest problem with electric cars is that nobody can make one that doesnt look like an electric car, the prius looks like something stevie wonder designed
    As opposed to cars that looked like they had internal combustion engines?

http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Pontiac/1957_Pontiac_Pathfinder_4-door_Sedan.jpg

Car designs improve.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Car designs improve.

touché on that last point , but still , I suppose your right we do need fuel for important things, like my f350 :D

different tastes, some people would consider electric because theyre coming from 1.4 hatchbacks etc and at the moment (with the exception of price , servicing and range) electric is a viable alternative for them

for people like me (i still think my 3 litre d-max is too small) I dont think theyll make an electric car for me in my lifetime

I still think steam trains are cool :D but internal combustion engines bested steam in every way , electric cars as youve said have a range problem , the only way to fix it is new battery technology and I dont think well be seeing the advances in my lifetime to be able to match the s65amg merc or the 760il bmw on speed, price, range and servicing cost

Certainly, a lot of work remains to be done before electric cars can realistically compete with petrol/diesel in terms of practicality/range, but when you look at how far they've come in the past 10 years it's not unreasonable to think that in the next 10 years they might start to come into their own.

As for the Prius, it's not electric, it's a hybrid, and yes I agree it's pig ugly, but so are plenty of petrol cars (cover your eyes).

Check this out if you think all electric cars are slow, boring and ugly:

...truth be told, we need to conserve those fuels for things that will matter later, like space exploration. The daily commute or the milk run are not exactly things that require fuel.

Absolutley agree with this, and think that this is the message that should be put out viz a viz energy conservation. Plenty of people remain unconvinced by the global warming argument (including me, kinda) but nobody can deny that fossil fuels are a finite resource.

Whenever peak oil comes, we'll be kicking ourselves for needlessly wasting so much of that miracle fuel driving SUVs half a mile down the road to the shop.

touché on that last point , but still , I suppose your right we do need fuel for important things, like my f350 :D
    Unless you're regularly carrying around a metric ton of cargo, why in the hell do you need an F350? You better be a tradesman.

Unless you're regularly carrying around a metric ton of cargo, why in the hell do you need an F350? You better be a tradesman.

I am indeed, theres always machines and tools in the back of my truck, I dont just drive a pickup/4x4 for a laugh, an f350 would be above my needs but I just love massive cars

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭NeedaNewName

I've driven a modern electric car and they are very good. Has anyone else who is commenting?

They are currently designed for low mileage users and their inception and use is more an education thing for drivers really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

OP failed to deliver bewbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

RTE News wrote: »
    I've driven a modern electric car and they are very good. Has anyone else who is commenting?

They are currently designed for low mileage users and their inception and use is more an education thing for drivers really.

Anne Doyle is that you? Can you show us yer bewbs and complete the thread please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭NeedaNewName

Absurdum wrote: »
    Anne Doyle is that you? Can you show us yer bewbs and complete the thread please?

Yeah.

It is a bit like comparing a netbook for surfing the net and basic stuff to having an XPS Gamer Rig.

If you have the latest and best'est Rig for gaming, moaning about how useless net books are, is pretty much the same as comparing current cars and what they can do compared with electric cars, and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

OP failed to deliver bewbs
    BEWBS?

:eek: Pass me the eye bleach, quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

:eek: Pass me the eye bleach, quick!
    Did you crack one off to it and spew yourself in the eye :pac::pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

An Electric F350... I think your expectations are still a bit high. High performance vehicles, like F350s, 18-Wheelers, Tanks, Ferarris, 787s, Rocket Boosters, These will all still require the chemical power fuel provides for some time yet. That's no reason to ignore the hundreds of millions sedans on the road that can all benefit from it now and truth be told, we need to conserve those fuels for things that will matter later, like space exploration. The daily commute or the milk run are not exactly things that require fuel.Im sure they weren't nearly at the same price point, as you list as one of your unrealistic expectations for planetary alignment switching to electric. Servicing cost will definitely go down. I imgagine there are a lot more parts and technical expertise and routine parts and labor required to maintain a V8 than there is a Voltec.As opposed to cars that looked like they had internal combustion engines?

http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Pontiac/1957_Pontiac_Pathfinder_4-door_Sedan.jpg

Car designs improve.

Car designs change according to the culture and technology of the time, they don't neccessarily improve. Have you ever really looked at modern cars, see how they are basically tiny variations of the same design. Really boring in my eyes. Could you tell most cars apart without looking at their logos? The dimensions are set, they have to follow safety standards which is good, but it makes them all very similar in reality. Sure one might have a fuel injection, another might have a spoiler, another have anti brake system, one has a bit bigger engine..but that's it really.
    Older cars had more variation and individuality!

As for electric cars looking a certain way, maybe that will be fashionable soon...fashion changes all the time.

RTE News wrote: »
    Yeah.

It is a bit like comparing a netbook for surfing the net and basic stuff to having an XPS Gamer Rig.

If you have the latest and best'est Rig for gaming, moaning about how useless net books are, is pretty much the same as comparing current cars and what they can do compared with electric cars, and what not.

It also depends what you want to do with it. The netbook version of an electric car would be great if it cost the same to run as a scooter and you only used it for getting around town. The gamer version would be great for going on weekend trips but you'd have to splash out more cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jesmed

Horny feckers aren't yee!
    in fairness it was a pair of well covered bewbs:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Electric cars are not the way foward. Hydrogen powered vehicles are :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Never mind electric cars

WonKavision!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

State your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

People who buy electric cars thinking they are saving the environment are only kidding themselves.

Sure, the cars themselves aren't emitting carbon gases but the electricity plants that generate the electricity powering them are.

PLUS... no electric car will ever sound as good a V8 :D

People will buy electric cars for one real reason, they will be much cheaper to run! Oil is predicted to go to 100 USD+ barrel next year, it's not going to be cheap again with China/India and others getting industrialised.

As for electric cars not being cleaner, I beg to differ. At least they are not spewing concentrated exhaust on the streets you are walking on and in the city, they are definitely better than current petrol/diesel driven cars.

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Electric cars are not the way foward. Hydrogen powered vehicles are :rolleyes:
    And will likely take the form of a Hydrogen Fuel Cell to power a voltec-type powertrain. Hydrogen and electric power are symbiotic.

Once battery technology improves two or three times then there is absolutely no need for hydrogen (in the future) or most petrol cars. Even now electric cars can meet most people's daily transportation needs. You have to purify Hydrogen from natural gas or create it from water using electrolysis, then ship it around and use expensive fuel cells to power the car, it doesn't make any sense, just use natural gas is you want to use gas!
    To create hydrogen from dirty sources like water would not be efficient, from natural gas would also take more power...then you would have to liquify it etc.

Advertisement