Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-03-2014, 08:03   #3181
How Strange

Red fraggle something is causing your little lad to feed inefficiently so yes perhaps it's a lactose intolerance. Try cutting out dairy for a few days and see if there's an improvement.

However you have to clear the blockage or it could become an abscess which you definitely don't want to happen. Keep doing the hot bath and massage but perhaps pump after every feed and compress the breast/massage it towards the nipple as you're doing it. It will be sore but you have to persevere.
Advertisement
06-03-2014, 08:50   #3182
red fraggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by How Strange View Post
Red fraggle something is causing your little lad to feed inefficiently so yes perhaps it's a lactose intolerance. Try cutting out dairy for a few days and see if there's an improvement.

However you have to csound ar the blockage or it could become an abscess which you definitely don't want to happen. Keep doing the hot bath and massage but perhaps pump after every feed and compress the breast/massage it towards the nipple as you're doing it. It will be sore but you have to persevere.
That's what I've been doing. But nothing is coming out or very little. I've massaged to the point of tears and nothing. I've done an extra express the same. Plus everytime I put pressure on to massage the pump breaks suction!! I feel hard sound lumps and one big mass or somethin.
06-03-2014, 09:31   #3183
wicklori

Quote:
Originally Posted by red fraggle View Post
Thanks a mill! I'm thinking of doing that. What did you have to do with the remedy? I've never gone to a homeopath but I will!! He screamed in pain while farting today. Break your heart. Did the remedy really work? What age was your baby? Sorry for all the questions!!!!
http://www.downtoearth.ie/products/W...odium-30c.html

That is a link to a shop in dublin which distributes Homeopathic remedies. We are big fans of homeopathy in our house-not cos it's hippy dippy but because we have seen it actually work! The situation with our little fella is a great example- I dissolved one little pillule in a glass (around 200ml) of cool boiled water. Then I gave him a little drop (a dose in homeopathy is not strictly measured) and usually after the first drop he would give a huge burp and immediately relax. Sometimes we had to repeat the dose, and sometimes I would hear these massive gurgles coming from his tummy and inevitably he improved. For me this speaks for itself-we didn't intellectually explain to him that these drops might make him better or a placebo effect might make him feel better :-)
It might be a great idea to consult a homeopath as there are a couple of remedies for similar complaints. Our fella felt better if you kept pressure on his tummy- this is a classic symptom for that remedy.
This is getting very long winded! I think our fella was a few weeks old when we worked out the lactose thing and the remedy then around the same time. The remedy works great for times when I have eaten something unwittingly or now that he is on solids (he's 11 months now) sometimes other things don't agree with him and they work great still. He knows now when he is getting his drops and opens his mouth like a little bird
Thanks from:
06-03-2014, 09:33   #3184
How Strange

You poor thing. I think you need to get it seen to before it gets to the stage of an abscess. Perhaps look up contact details for an ibclc lactation consultant on the friends of breastfeeding website. I found Sue Jameson to be very helpful when I rang her a couple of times after my daughter was born.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound stern. It must be the mammy in me :S
(2) thanks from:
06-03-2014, 09:43   #3185
wicklori

I can't contribute to the blocked duct situation other than to say some great advice above and just keep a big eye on it as you DO NOT NEED the dreaded mastitis. Try not to stress about it. You are doing the most natural thing in the world and giving you baby the very best start you can- all will be well. You'll get over this small hump in the road and you won't know yourself-you'll just get a in a groove and forget this ever happened.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-03-2014, 13:48   #3186
How Strange

I've also heard about ultrasound being used to break down hard lump. It's worth considering so perhaps see if your gp has an ultrasound machine (if that's the right word!)
Thanks from:
06-03-2014, 19:50   #3187
red fraggle

Thanks for all the advice guys. I had a huge rant/breakdown in parent and toddler group today. I got a number for breastfeedin consultant who was lovely and I can Ring her back anytime. Waitin for my health nurse to return my call so I can ask her to check it and I'll know more then. It's the lack of info that got to me. And being terrified of it getting worse!!

On another note. I'm bringing j to a homeopath tomorrow. I'm so hoping it helps him. Are they once off visits? I hope so as its very expensive but if it works I'll be so happy.
(2) thanks from:
06-03-2014, 20:17   #3188
Soooky

Hi ladies! I have just finished reading the whole 213 pages of this thread - started reading before my baba arrived 12 weeks ago! I have to say the info I have gotten from this thread has been amazing and has helped me to stay exclusively breastfeeding for so long - my first target was 6 weeks and now I feel I will keep going for a long time !!

Thanks to all the mamas who have contributed to this thread!! And well done us
(4) thanks from:
06-03-2014, 20:48   #3189
wicklori

Quote:
Originally Posted by red fraggle View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys. I had a huge rant/breakdown in parent and toddler group today. I got a number for breastfeedin consultant who was lovely and I can Ring her back anytime. Waitin for my health nurse to return my call so I can ask her to check it and I'll know more then. It's the lack of info that got to me. And being terrified of it getting worse!!

On another note. I'm bringing j to a homeopath tomorrow. I'm so hoping it helps him. Are they once off visits? I hope so as its very expensive but if it works I'll be so happy.
Good woman- have a good rant- nothing like it! Good to hear you found a good LC too...
My husband and I go every month to homeopath which might sound excessive- it's hard to quantify but both of us started off with complaints conventional medicine couldn't fix so now neither of us have been to a doctor since I can't remember when- obviously I went as required when I was pregnant. But my homeopath also treated me throughout my pregnancy too.
Little fella is a year next week. Never had an antibiotic. Rarely takes calpol etc- even though he has 9 teeth; and is exclusively breastfed- apart from solids obviously.
I put a lot of this down to homeopathy. I hope we are always in a position to attend our homeopath as necessary. She will also text us which remedy to use if we get sick between visit- I have a kit.
Advertisement
06-03-2014, 21:39   #3190
How Strange

That's great news red fraggle. Hopefully you get it sorted soon.

Congrats Soooky. You're about to enter the post 3 month stage where you reap the rewards for all your hard work. Breastfeeding just keeps getting easier and easier. I'm working full time and exclusively breastfeeding a 10 month old which I wouldn't be doing if it wasn't super easy.
(3) thanks from:
08-03-2014, 19:44   #3191
red fraggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicklori View Post
Good woman- have a good rant- nothing like it! Good to hear you found a good LC too...
My husband and I go every month to homeopath which might sound excessive- it's hard to quantify but both of us started off with complaints conventional medicine couldn't fix so now neither of us have beeandn to a doctor since I can't remember when- obviously I went as required when I was pregnant. But my homeopath also treated me throughout my pregnancy too.
Little fella is a year next week. Never had an antibiotic. Rarely takes calpol etc- even though he has 9 teeth; and is exclusively breastfed- apart from solids obviously.
I put a lot of this down to homeopathy. I hope we are always in a position to attend our homeopath as necessary. She will also text us which remedy to use if we get sick between visit- I have a kit.
The homeopath was lovely! Have me stuff to use for 3 or 4 days and then he he gets blocked up or windy again. So far he is managing to get up some wind. I haven't heard him burp in so long!! Also got remedy for when his teething is bad. She said I can buy my own kit and do it myself. A basic one like. Where would I get a kit? I don't know much about it but I thought she was great and he this works it's great! Seems to be so fingers crossed!

On the mastitis side of things i'm much better but still tired. The lump is still there but I think it's shrinking. .healt nurse said wait til antibiotics are gone then go back if lump is still there. She said everyone is different.
Thanks from:
08-03-2014, 19:44   #3192
red fraggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicklori View Post
My husband and I go every month to homeopath which might sound excessive- it's hard to quantify but both of us started off with complaints conventional medicine couldn't fix so now neither of us have beeandn to a doctor since I can't remember when- obviously I went as required when I was pregnant. But my homeopath also treated me throughout my pregnancy too.
The homeopath was lovely! Have me stuff to use for 3 or 4 days and then he he gets blocked up or windy again. So far he is managing to get up some wind. I haven't heard him burp in so long!! Also got remedy for when his teething is bad. She said I can buy my own kit and do it myself. A basic one like. Where would I get a kit? I don't know much about it but I thought she was great and he this works it's great! Seems to be so fingers crossed!

On the mastitis side of things i'm much better but still tired. The lump is still there but I think it's shrinking. .healt nurse said wait til antibiotics are gone then go back if lump is still there. She said everyone is different.
08-03-2014, 21:13   #3193
galah

Question for the gals who are feeding but also have another child: do you have any sort of techniques or methods to keep a toddler out of trouble while you're attached to baby? Had the parenting day from hell today, and only narrowly escaped several trips to a&e simply cause my 2 year old knows that I can't react as well when I'm feeding the little one. All the parenting/discipline sites say to remove a toddler from the source of danger if they're being bold, but with baby latched on that's impossible, at least if a quick reaction is required (we're talking toddler climbing on chair to jump on the cat, that kind of stuff)! I also don't want to be the shouty mum, but at the moment that's all I can think of...short of stopping breastfeeding as a bottle is easier to put down.

Any tips, tricks, strategies? Timeouts etc are all very well, after, but don't work in the heat of the moment as I can't put him into it....help please!
08-03-2014, 22:00   #3194
lmullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by galah View Post
Question for the gals who are feeding but also have another child: do you have any sort of techniques or methods to keep a toddler out of trouble while you're attached to baby? Had the parenting day from hell today, and only narrowly escaped several trips to a&e simply cause my 2 year old knows that I can't react as well when I'm feeding the little one. All the parenting/discipline sites say to remove a toddler from the source of danger if they're being bold, but with baby latched on that's impossible, at least if a quick reaction is required (we're talking toddler climbing on chair to jump on the cat, that kind of stuff)! I also don't want to be the shouty mum, but at the moment that's all I can think of...short of stopping breastfeeding as a bottle is easier to put down.

Any tips, tricks, strategies? Timeouts etc are all very well, after, but don't work in the heat of the moment as I can't put him into it....help please!
Distraction of some kinds works best for my 20 month old girl. If she's doing something she shouldn't be I ask her to do something else that she enjoys - she'll get her dolly put it in the buggy and go for a walk. She also loves colouring/scribbling so I'll take colours and paper out before feeding. She'll also beside me for a story. If they don't work cartoons!!
08-03-2014, 22:36   #3195
cyning

Galah I've been wondering that myself: due next week and my 20 month old is exceptionally good at climbing and fast and thinks of the most random things to do! I'm really hoping a combination if colouring, reading, dollies and barney if all else fails works. I've gotten a stretchy style close sling too so hoping I can master feeding on the go in it too. Obviously this is all hoping on my part

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion