Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

War Thunder

• 05-03-2015 12:22pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I havent seen a thread on this in PC Gaming forum and search isnt throwing up anything.

Anyone playing it?
    A couple of gaming buddies who play world of tanks recommended me to try it.
    I played the planes part a couple of years back but seemed to forget about it until a few weeks back.
    Really enjoying the ground forces in particular,it offers a more realistic slant on the genre than WOT.
    Slowly making my way through the tiers,decided to go with German tanks first, really want to get the Tiger :P

The planes too are great fun, definitely a lot more polished than the last time i played them.

Feel free to add Cully to friends list :)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I didn't even know they had added ground combat. I briefly played it a while ago as well, and while it was great, i never really got stuck into it. Might give it a go later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

I am on it all the time really enjoy the tanks its seems fairly polished for a f2p game. Planes are good fun too.

The tiger is good fun. only problem is at that level the game turns to a sniping contest not many agressive tiger drivers ha ha.

A few of us on most nights on the gaellords ts if ya wanna pop on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I just got into the tanks recently and it is good fun. Still prefer planes though. If they could just fix the hit detection...

If you are willing to spend some money on it i recommend either a bundle that gives you a premium account and tank as well as golden eagles too. Otherwise going through the ranks can take its time. You can get em on steam or through the warthunder shop.

I got the steam mega pack when it was like 35 euro on steam got a few premiums and about 18000 golden eagles with like 4 months premium account made it soo much quicker havent spent anything else so far ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Patser

Was addicted to it for the last year. Continuously distracting me from my other games, that I'd sworn I'd finish.

Had to reinstall the Mass Effect trilogy to break the habit......

If we get an Irish squadron I'm so back in. Have a Tiger - prefer my Panther, love my Spitfires

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

A good game but once I got to a certain level I found that it got too difficult as you could get taken out too easily. I spent 15-20 euros on it but definitely got my money's worth out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Status Offline

Few of us playing it the last while, started of a Squadron called Gamers Respawn or GRES if ya fancy joining in. There's almost always some one playing every night but we have a weekly get together on Fridays if you fancy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Do the planes still handle like s**t with a joystick?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

started a thread about this before i saw this but ya a good few of us play it on Gaellords

anyone who wants to join is more than welcome , we play it pretty much every day , just join the teamspeak and see whats what ;)

join teamspeak : WWW.GAELLORDS.COM

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

heh

there's been a few threads across a few forums (and I've posted in most)

http://warthunder.com/en/community/userinfo/?nick=DeKrieg

level 100

era V in four of the five nations (era IV with russia)

era V in german tanks, era IV in russian and american tanks
    Do the planes still handle like s**t with a joystick?

They've improved it 2 patches ago. Still not perfect and needs a bit of tweaking in your settings but vastly improved

If you've not tried it, go try the events Realistic combined/simulator combined

by far the best modes in the game.

both modes turn off target icons on enemy tanks (and on map) which makes the tank combat really intense as it requires you to spot via eyeball which leads to some excellent gameplay.

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    heh

there's been a few threads across a few forums (and I've posted in most)

http://warthunder.com/en/community/userinfo/?nick=DeKrieg

level 100

era V in four of the five nations (era IV with russia)

era V in german tanks, era IV in russian and american tanks

They've improved it 2 patches ago. Still not perfect and needs a bit of tweaking in your settings but vastly improved

If you've not tried it, go try the events Realistic combined/simulator combined

by far the best modes in the game.

both modes turn off target icons on enemy tanks (and on map) which makes the tank combat really intense as it requires you to spot via eyeball which leads to some excellent gameplay.

agree i love the realistic and simulator battles especially in the higher tier vehicles . i also agree with Dcully this does not belong in the WOT forum it is the eqiuivelant as he says of putting a COD thread in a battlefield forum , the reason i posted i a seperate thread about it is i wouldnt have thopught to look in here for a war thunder thread .

jaysus dekrieg you must play nothing else to be a rank 100 :P

i have a good few hundred hours in war thunder and im only Level 73 (Commodore)
    have

American (all rank 5 tanks +all rank 3 planes ,some rank 4 planes)
    German ( All rank 5 Tanks +all rank 3 planes ,some rank 4 planes)
    Ussr ( All but 1 rank 5 Tanks +all rank 3 planes ,some rank 4 planes)
    Britain (all rank 4 and some rank 5 planes unlocked )
    Japan (all rank 4 planes)

Feel free to add me my user name is Fianoglach_Airm

it definately need the thread title changed at least maybe to Military Sim Games or Air land and Sea combat games or something like that

jaysus dekrieg you must play nothing else to be a rank 100

Yeah this has been my top played game of the year 3 years running now. Started in early march 2013 and only reached level 100 about 2 or so months back.

I've played other games (did a big binge in arma 3 altis life last september - october, but like Dayz before it, alarm bells went off over how much time that consumes doing *nothing* especially if you play a cop on an altis life server where you spend literally hours doing what even police in real life consider boring paperwork.)

But War Thunder ticks all the boxes for me, its visually satisfying (I love a detailed plane model or tank model, its the same appeal that made me love the original counter strike initially, really good (for the time) gun models) its gameplay is organic and dynamic, easy to pick up, difficult to master. And it has a genuine love for world war 2 planes and they come with a feel of genuine weight.

This is digital crack cocaine for me.

No the depressing habit I have is the need to spade (unlock every upgrade) all my planes as much as I can

With my germans I have spaded every plane tier 1-4 and most of 5. tanks 1-3 and most of 4. thats 109 vehicles out of the 126 i've unlocked for them.

That takes up a lot of time and demands a lot of patience (especially the later ones)

Also its a great game for easing someone into flight simulators

lets be honest flight simulators have downright f*cking dreadful tutorials, I think they are up there with turn based strategy games and the windows help button for being actually useless at helping someone.

War Thunder going from arcade to simulator you can learn strengths and weaknesses of planes and different styles of combat before you have to deal with the headache of wrestling the controls.

I've picked up Il2 battle of stalingrad, not because i liked 1946 or cliffs of dover but because War thunder made me enjoy flight sims again and I wanted to diversify.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

That trailer is freaking amazing and makes me want to play game again, but I know that I will play few games, get frustrated by complete RNG and feck off again.

nah its about learning the game more so . if you know the ammo your using ,and the gun its being fired from and the angle you will impact from and where to hit on the tank you will get a kill nearly every time .( sounds like a lot to learn but it really isnt)

at this stage i know exactly the weak spot on most tanks . you hit there with a High exlposive armor piercing round and its good night .

of coures if you have HEAT or HE or composite rigid or ballistic capped or Sabot or just plain armour piercing rounds it will require you to hit in a different place . the game ha a lot to learn in it if you want to kill every time but it comes from experience of using them

Yeah

has been my top played game of the year 3 years running now. Started in early march 2013 and only reached level 100 about 2 or so months back.

I've played other games (did a big binge in arma 3 altis life last september - october, but like Dayz before it, alarm bells went off over how much time that consumes doing *nothing* especially if you play a cop on an altis life server where you spend literally hours doing what even police in real life consider boring paperwork.)

But War Thunder ticks all the boxes for me, its visually satisfying (I love a detailed plane model or tank model, its the same appeal that made me love the original counter strike initially, really good (for the time) gun models) its gameplay is organic and dynamic, easy to pick up, difficult to master. And it has a genuine love for world war 2 planes and they come with a feel of genuine weight.

This is digital crack cocaine for me.

No the depressing habit I have is the need to spade (unlock every upgrade) all my planes as much as I can

With my germans I have spaded every plane tier 1-4 and most of 5. tanks 1-3 and most of 4. thats 109 vehicles out of the 126 i've unlocked for them.

That takes up a lot of time and demands a lot of patience (especially the later ones)

Also its a great game for easing someone into flight simulators

lets be honest flight simulators have downright f*cking dreadful tutorials, I think they are up there with turn based strategy games and the windows help button for being actually useless at helping someone.

War Thunder going from arcade to simulator you can learn strengths and weaknesses of planes and different styles of combat before you have to deal with the headache of wrestling the controls.

I've picked up Il2 battle of stalingrad, not because i liked 1946 or cliffs of dover but because War thunder made me enjoy flight sims again and I wanted to diversify.

Il2 and cliffs of dover are excellent, battle of Stalingrad is a piece of crap from my brief foray into it

Bambi wrote: »
    Il2 and cliffs of dover are excellent, battle of Stalingrad is a piece of crap from my brief foray into it

1946 is a classic but cliffs of Dover you really need to mod it out extensively to make it worthwhile, vanilla its a bit meh.

But all 3 have dreadful tutorials

1946 is a classic but cliffs of Dover you really need to mod it out extensively to make it worthwhile, vanilla its a bit meh.

But all 3 have dreadful tutorials

cliffs was dreadful on launch but you could see the potential, same with il2 way back in the day, it was really unpolished on launch but you could see it had serious legs on it.

With BOS you hop in a plane and just shake your head at how nasty it all is

Maybe I'm biased because 777 studios always come across as a bunch of chancers

The time it takes to research tier 5 tanks is mental i have one for usa 2/3 through a second one havent even started the tier 5 russians or germans yet.
    Only half way through tier 4 planes on britian and 3 on usa and japan. Havent even started the german or russian planes.
    Probably cost about 11k euro worth of golden eagles to pay the way through so not an option ha ha

Man this game is under a lot of flak by its community this week.

They are making a lot of changes to try and improve the game and to say to made a balls releasing the update would be an understatement

1. They've removed the spotting system from both RB and from the map on SB so now there is no more spotting in either mode

2. They've stopped matchmaking for SB, instead turning it over to an event only system

3. They've updated mouse aim

All big mechanical changes, no fluff of new toys to hide behind

and they made a balls of all 3.

The updated mouse aim had to be removed after a few hourse due to reports from players in arcade that it outright broke the game for them. Making it impossible to keep control of their planes, I missed it, but supposedly it was hilarious to see

The simulator events set up has been fumbled badly, firstly despite announcements a month ago they were going to do this, on the website, in the game on the forum etc, there was a big influx of players to the forums complaining about this change.

this was made worse because part of what they promised was to ensure no one felt left out there would be multiple events running all the time across all the tiers so players wouldnt feel like they couldnt level up in simulator

but that wasnt delivered, instead there was only 1 event.

On top of that there's a very vocal sense of anger with the fact that SB is now combined arms again.

and one feature in SB planes that has been working very well that was introduced recently which was the extended join in progress was broken by the new patch.

And then the no markers RB for tanks has had mixed reaction because Gaijin have mostly kept mum on the issue with its graphic engines at different levels and thats a topic that is just seething over with anger at this stage. Turning off markers in RB has just made that issue front and centre.

So not a good week.

personnally

I dont play arcade so the mouse aim issue didnt bother me

SB going events only wont bother me if they deliver on the promise of a wide variety of events parallel, in fact it might be better if it allows us to avoid the dreaded BR system. But if they drag their heels on that I'll be joining the anger brigade

and I've always been mixed on the whole graphics issue because i think its more of a map issue then the actual graphics because I've looked into it and the differences between maps on the same setting indicates its an issue that just needs some major overhaul on some of the earlier maps rather then threatening to kick everyone below a certain hardware threshold off the game.

• Advertisement

They are on a roll for kicking themselves in the groin, today's update has caused a massive backlash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Is there a boards.ie squadron?

Sheeps wrote: »
    Is there a boards.ie squadron?

If there is not much has been said about it, what exactly does the squadron tuff entail?

nothing beyond having a tag in front of your name and the ability to enter squadron battles when they are up and compete on the squadron points table.

Not worth it unless A) there are a lot of us squading up chatting on a teamspeak

or B) enough of us are good enough to actually compete in the points table/squad battles (no there are not)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CD8ED

I'd be interested in joining the squad if there was to be one set up :pac:

i would have thought that was a common enough event ? have shot down loads of planes with tanks. bombers and figher bombers especially easy . cause bombers are slow and fighter bombers head straight for you . it is a great feeling though :D

i would have thought that was a common enough event ? have shot down loads of planes with tanks. bombers and figher bombers especially easy . cause bombers are slow and fighter bombers head straight for you . it is a great feeling though :D

Happened once in world war 2, Otto Carius' gunner got cheesed off with russian airplanes machine gunning them and managed to knock one down with a cannon shot

haha ive shot down loads of bombers with the cannon . annoys the nuts off me when i hit them and it does little damage or i only get an assist though . and as you said the coax . especially on the higher tier russian tanks rips planes apart and some light tanks :D

its a great feeling though to hit them with the cannon isnt it ? you can just imagine what the pilot is thinking :P

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭KeshFM93

Anyone playing this on Ps4 ? Started playing it a couple of weeks ago , brilliant game ... Haven't went near the tanks yet , I'm sticking to the planes for now . So if there's someone playing it on Ps4 let me know, sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CD8ED

Its cross platform Kesh, so PS4, PC and MAC I believe can all play together, I'm PC, Subjectb5 if ya wanna add me.

Advertisement