Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gregory Deal-Was it ever implemented?

• 17-01-2015 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

Just got to thinking about this having seen the last episode of Charlie, which mentioned the negotiations between Gregory (Elmo) and Charlie (John Boy) and also having seen Michael Healy-Rae on the Late Late whinging about why nobody criticised Gregory for putting the screws on the government for a casting vote but EVERYBODY slagged off his dad for doing the same.

As Haughey did the deal with Gregory in early 1982 to win the election for Taoiseach in March 1982, and his government then collapsed in early November of the same year sending him and Fianna Fail to the opposition benches for the next five years, did he ever get the opportunity to implement the deal for inner city Dublin?

Or was only a small part of it delivered?

To what extent would its implementation have been binding on the subsequent coalitiion Government?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Wow! Tumbleweed question!!!

Does nobody know the answer?

I genuinely don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Just got to thinking about this having seen the last episode of Charlie, which mentioned the negotiations between Gregory (Elmo) and Charlie (John Boy) and also having seen Michael Healy-Rae on the Late Late whinging about why nobody criticised Gregory for putting the screws on the government for a casting vote but EVERYBODY slagged off his dad for doing the same.

As Haughey did the deal with Gregory in early 1982 to win the election for Taoiseach in March 1982, and his government then collapsed in early November of the same year sending him and Fianna Fail to the opposition benches for the next five years, did he ever get the opportunity to implement the deal for inner city Dublin?

Or was only a small part of it delivered?

To what extent would its implementation have been binding on the subsequent coalitiion Government?

I'm pretty sure only some of the deal was delivered. Haughey and Gregory made the deal in Feb 1982. However, the Haughey government was inherently unstable and there was another election in November 1982 that saw FG-Labour back in power. The Haughey government hadn't enough time to implement the deal. Given the nature of FF and Haughey whether they ever would have done so if they had lasted longer in power is of course questionable.

Gregory had been harshly criticised by FG for making the deal in the first place (parish pump politics, not in the national interest, etc., etc., blah, blah) as it had stopped them forming a new government. Therefore, they ignored much of the deal when they got into power.

There was a great biography of Tony Gregory released a few years back written by Robert Gilligan. It's well worth getting your hands on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

The clearing of large chunk of Georgian Dublin in north inner city (parts of Gardiner Street, Sean McDermott Street, Cathal Brugha street) were connected in somes way to it, if memory serves me, of course I might be wrong in that regards.

Though Summerhill was under demolition in 1981 (I think for "inner tangent road scheme")

U2%2B1981%2Bin%2BDublin%2Bcity415.jpg

Some interesting before/after photo's can be seen here:
    http://www.dublin1850.com/old_and_new.html

As noted I believed that some of demolition/"renewal" work was to do with Gregory deal (again could be wrong)

• Advertisement
Advertisement