Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Searching for historical court case outcome

Options
  • 08-05-2014 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I'm looking to find out the outcome of a specific court case that would have been heard locally.

I have the names of both parties involved (who have since passed away), but the trouble is that I'm operating on an extremely wide time-span, as nobody seems to know any exact details of the case like the date, year or even decade, or whether it was circuit or district court etc.

It was a civil case, and I know the subject of the dispute.

I've tried a brief search of local paper archives, but that requires a subscription before being able to view any kind of page detail.

I've also contacted the National Archives who have said that even if I narrow the time span to a decade, it's still gonna be a two-day job to search relevant records, with no guarantee of success.

Any advice???? :-(

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

A good starting point would be : http://www.bailii.org/.
    This has numerous judgments and a fairly decent search function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

Try narrow down the time frame by speaking to locals who may have known the participants. If you are not willing to pay, try the National Library. Pretty sure there is some kind of database of newspapers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Might be worth your while to take a sub out for the Irish Times online as they are sure to have covered it. You could then search their historical database.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

maringo wrote: »
    Might be worth your while to take a sub out for the Irish Times online as they are sure to have covered it. You could then search their historical database.

IT's coverage of court cases is extremely limited. At a local level they cover a tiny amount if crime and not much more. Local newspapers are a far better resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭fun.bobby1981

Thanks all for the info and help,

I've managed to narrow it down to a period of 15 years between the 1930s/40s and found the solicitor that represented one of the parties, but they no longer exist under that name and the associated practice doesn't have access to records that far back.

I'm hoping we can avoid a trip to the national archives as it's a two day job at a minimum between getting a reader pass and requesting documents and then reviewing them.

No interest in paying for a newspaper archive subscription because there's simply no guarantee that I will get the information I want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement