Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Normally you'd think Meath v Galway would be first pick of the qualifiers, but TV3 chose Laois v Kildare instead. And after Galway's pathetic showing against Mayo who can blame them. It just shows how far our football stock has fallen.

Right now the hurling is not scheduled for TV either. I'm hoping that it might still be a webcast as I can't make it to Limerick on Saturday, but no indication yet as to whether it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

The hurling will be on the web i heard a few people saying,its not been offically announced yet though.I'll be stuck in work otherwise i'd definitely be at the game so im praying i can at least see it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AndyK1986

any word yet on whether or not we can catch it online?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AndyK1986

i've seen those links knocking around to watch it but to be honest i wont know until i see a throw in. will there even be tv cameras at the match? apart from rte/tv3 but i presume that would be solely for highlights?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

The football team for Saturday has been named. It shows a good few changes.

1 Adrian Faherty
    2 Johnny Duane
    3 Finian Hanley
    4 Colin Forde
    5 Gareth Bradshaw
    6 Diarmuid Blake
    7 Gary Sice
    8 Joe Bergin
    9 Fintan Ó Curraoin
    10 Thomas Flynn
    11 Mark Hehir
    12 Matthew Clancy
    13 Michael Meehan
    14 Padraig Joyce
    15 Cormac Bane

Largely I'd be happy with it. At least more of the players are playing in their familiar positions. Hanley restored to full back, Blake to CB, Bradshaw to wing back. He's using the game also to blood some young midfielders. It'll be a learning curve for them. Not sure Meehan is match fit though. Also have doubts over M Clancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Most promising team he's put out all year, looks like he finally realised that shít had hit the fan and he grew a pair. Don't agree with Clancy being on it, I'd probably have stuck with Concannon but it's definitely interested me enough to seriously think about a trip to Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

Only very middling. Wouldn't call the HF line too promising; 2 unproven U-21s and a very average aging servant. Meehan cannot be too fit. At least Concannon is dropped. What must Bergin be doing in training to hold his place? The FB line doesn't look bad but various managers' fixations with Corofin defenders still continues. I'd have left Blake at CHF for a bit of power. You don't want to be going into the lions (Lyons?) den that is Navan with all these imponderables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Don't know about ye but I'm delighted to see O Curraoin in midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Don't know about ye but I'm delighted to see O Curraoin in midfield.

Big time, and Thomas Flynn. They're seriously young though so it'll be interesting to see how they cope. At least Fahartaigh realised they were getting nowhere in midfield and made changes, looks like there'll be three in the middle now. I'd say Clancy is in there to add some experience to a very young midfield and half-forward line.
    Defence looks more solid as well, Bradshaw back where he belongs, Blake is generally reliable, Sice is... well, hit and miss is an understatement but hopefully he has a good game. Full back line should play well again, especially if they actually get some support from the half-backs this time. Forde and Duane have arguably been our best players in the last few games.

Don't expect a win but really hoping for a big performance.

• Advertisement

MfMan wrote: »
    Only very middling. Wouldn't call the HF line too promising; 2 unproven U-21s and a very average aging servant. Meehan cannot be too fit. At least Concannon is dropped. What must Bergin be doing in training to hold his place? The FB line doesn't look bad but various managers' fixations with Corofin defenders still continues. I'd have left Blake at CHF for a bit of power. You don't want to be going into the lions (Lyons?) den that is Navan with all these imponderables.

My attitude would be throw them in, even though it is the deep end. Regardless of what team we throw out I don't see it winning. You might disagree with my stance but I'd be inclined to throw caution to the wind. There's no point playing the same players that have failed us in the last few years. The game against Meath will stand to some of the younger players. They'll learn from it.

I would'nt be gone on Clancy myself, he won't last. But at least he is player who has an ability to win breaking ball.

I think Blake might do alright if he's up against Joe Sheridan at CB. Long term I'd be looking towards a younger player like Duane. I don't think Sice is that bad. I can't think of anyone who would be a better option there? He's certainly miles ahead of Gary O'Donnell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Very excited about the team. Flynn is a serious talent, and we might see good things from O'Currain and Hehir too. The back line actually looks fairly solid too. The only iffy decision is playing Clancy but I don't have a problem with it. For the first time this year I say kudos to O'Flaharta

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Very excited about the team. Flynn is a serious talent, and we might see good things from O'Currain and Hehir too. The back line actually looks fairly solid too. The only iffy decision is playing Clancy but I don't have a problem with it. For the first time this year I say kudos to O'Flaharta

Clancy the only one?..... I'd put that second to Bergin still starting.
    Apart from catching(and this isn't saying much) two or three balls against Kerry in the 1/4 a few years ago he hasn't done much else.
    He had another bad game against Mayo, his fielding is poor and his kicking and ball retention are below of what's required for the business end of the championship.

At least Clancy has shown a bit more.

Mind saying that I wouldn't start him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

The footballers team looks to make more sense than the last day - Hanley's best position is number 3 and Blake is our best option at centre-back. I still think we will have it all on to win against Meath, the showing the last day was nothing short of diabolical. Maybe they could take a leaf out of the hurlers book and follow a shíte performance with a good display the next day.

I wonder would Joyce consider packing it in if Galway loose?

Clancy the only one?..... I'd put that second to Bergin still starting.
    Apart from catching(and this isn't saying much) two or three balls against Kerry in the 1/4 a few years ago he hasn't done much else.
    He had another bad game against Mayo, his fielding is poor and his kicking and ball retention are below of what's required for the business end of the championship.

At least Clancy has shown a bit more.

Mind saying that I wouldn't start him either.

At the end of the day, Bergin is still essential. There is no choice but to play him. Coleman is gone, cullinane was never a footballer. He can't put the 2 young lads in there on their own at ages 18 and 19. People keep putting forward the names of average club footballers who are obviously not good enough. Everything has been done to sort Galways middle and managers keep coming back to the conclusion that Bergin is the best we have.

Your being a little unfair to him there. He has had a few great days in a Galway shirt such as most of 01, mayo in 03, 07 (iirc) and 09, tyrone in a few league games, the Kerry one you mentioned etc. He is sometimes good, but when he's bad he's terrible. Somebody needs to drill it into his head to get the ball and give it, rather than stupid solo runs and bad attempts at goal. Still though, I really can't think of any better midfielder at the moment. Maybe that's just what we're left with until Flynn and O'Currain get older

At the end of the day, Bergin is still essential. There is no choice but to play him. Coleman is gone, cullinane was never a footballer. He can't put the 2 young lads in there on their own at ages 18 and 19. People keep putting forward the names of average club footballers who are obviously not good enough. Everything has been done to sort Galways middle and managers keep coming back to the conclusion that Bergin is the best we have.

Your being a little unfair to him there. He has had a few great days in a Galway shirt such as most of 01, mayo in 03, 07 (iirc) and 09, tyrone in a few league games, the Kerry one you mentioned etc. He is sometimes good, but when he's bad he's terrible. Somebody needs to drill it into his head to get the ball and give it, rather than stupid solo runs and bad attempts at goal. Still though, I really can't think of any better midfielder at the moment. Maybe that's just what we're left with until Flynn and O'Currain get older

I'd pretty much agree with that. Hopefully we get a performance today, even if we do end up on the loosing side.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Back of the net CD, 2-10 to 1-13

2-20 there starie!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Realt11

2-20 there starie!

'Hon the tribesmen! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Well done Galway,a well deserved win for ye.

• Advertisement

Good performance from Galway today after a shakey start. There was shades of Tullamore in the first ten minutes. But Corks goal was an absolute gift.
    Galway were very good for the second quarter. They could do no wrong. The forwards started winning ball, mainly because we were sending in the right kind of ball. They kicked on nicely in the second half after an even enough first ten minutes. The Galway forwards really started opening up the Cork defence and Cyril Donnellan scoring with literally his first touch in the game. They'd another fine goal disallowed, when it was called up for an easy free. Of the forwards I was most impressed with Damien Hayes, hats off to him he's really lifted it since the Dublin game. He took his marker to the cleaners. Ger Farragher was great at times, some of the vision and the scores in particular were very impressive. JC had one of his quieter games. He was playing an awful lot out the field especially in the second half. Some of his free taking was a bit off, but he still had a good game and took some great scores and frees all the same. A bit more shooting practice and he'll be better.
    I honestly though David Burke was immense today, he really shone for me. He got through a mountain of work and ball and he like Farragher has great vision and skill.
    The half back line were brilliant today. Cullinane in particular improved immensely. Tony Og was as solid as always. Some questions were asked of the full back line and they had a few hairy moments, but once they got to the pace of the game they played well.
    All in all I'm happy with the performance, they are going in the right direction. However, they would'nt want to get too carried away ahead of an All Ireland Quarter Final. Cork were really poor at times, and are a shadow of their former glory, still a very good win overall and they'll have nothing to fear in the quarter final.

As for the footballers they sounded to be really struggling at times and if not for Meaths wayward shooting they would have been well beaten. However, Galway still managed to finish strongly and could have won in the end even if undeservedly. They by no means shamed us, especially the young players. They'll hopefully learn from their experience.

That was probably Padraic Joyces last game. :( One of Galways best ever players and is sure to go down in Galway focklore. One of the greats. Hopefully we see him in dugout some time in the future. I doubt he'll stay another year, but it'll be his decision in th end.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I wonder is there a clip of Canning's ridiculous back flick with his hand in the second half. We were over that side of the pitch and we were left gob smacked with the vision and execution of it. It was outstanding!

It's amazing what the lads can do when they get going.

i was slightly disappointed with Kerins today. He wasn't really in the game and was floating around a lot with no real aim. Donnellan was brilliant when he came on.

Anyone else think the ref was atrocious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

mars bar wrote: »
    I wonder is there a clip of Canning's ridiculous back flick with his hand in the second half. We were over that side of the pitch and we were left gob smacked with the vision and execution of it. It was outstanding!

It's amazing what the lads can do when they get going.

i was slightly disappointed with Kerins today. He wasn't really in the game and was floating around a lot with no real aim. Donnellan was brilliant when he came on.

Who reffed it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The hurlers seriously amazed me tonight. They played with a confidence I've never seen before the Clare match. Iarla Tannion worked his cock off today and I feel he deserves a lot of the credit. Big Joe was great. Damien Hayes was brilliant. The backs were sturdy for the most part.

James McGrath was an awful ref. A goal ruled out. Dónal óg should have been given the red but luckily for him Hayes buried the ball in the net.

Couldn't have asked for anymore. Great showing and McIntyre deserves credit for turning a disgraceful side against Dublin to a team that destroyed Cork and Clare.

Nothing needs to be said about the footballers. Its been said to death.

For some bizarre reason I managed to miss that. I remember the big chear and going what happened? :o Hopefully I see it on the Sunday Game tomorrow.

I think Kerins is probably the one player who's likely to be demoted. I don't think he has it in the legs anymore but he tried hard. He could have been put in for a goal at one stage. It may have changed the game for him.

Bringing on Donnellan was a real case of horses for courses. The Cork backs were getting heavy legged and gaps were opening up. Donnellan is great for putting the head down and going on solo runs (sometimes to the teams detriment). A potentially good impact sub.

Ref was'nt great. I don't know if he affected this but we certainly gave away very few frees. I don't remember them scoring too many anyway. One thing I will say for the ref is that he tried to let the game flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ladybike

Galway hurling were very good today, better than expected really. I thought the good performance last week was due to Clare being terrible, and possibly we saw a Cork team today at the end of an era in regards some players, like Niall McCarthy and the O'Connors. But Galway were genuinely good, they played as a unit, and (almost) everyone had a good game!

After Skehill's calamity in the 1st minute :p he had a reasonable game, puck outs weren't bad, although I would rather have Colm Callanan in goal, he isn't as prone to mistakes as Skehill. Collins was outstanding in his corner, Fergal Moore was solid, and after the first 10 minutes, Kavanagh handled O'Sullivan well, and the majority of 1-3 wasn't Kavanaghs fault.

Regan was brilliant, Cullinane likewise, and although I don't think Barry should be playing, he did fine.

Burke = Unreal performance :D. Smith was good aswell, don't know why he was taken off.

Tannian on the surface did a lot of bad things, shot a few bad wides and gave away a few possesions. But his hurling brain is great, he reads the game so well, movement is excellent and it is fair to say John Gardiner didn't have much of an impact on the game. The good outweighed the bad! Farragher was the same, few bad things mixed with some good, 0-4 is a good return. Gantley caught a lot of ball, good player I think, finally living up to club form.

Hayes was brilliant, for such a small man! Unreal pace, and took his goal well. Big Joe was patchy, some poor frees at the start, but he really picked up. 0-5 from play I think, not bad :) Alan Kerins battles hard, contributed in breaking balls to the other forwards but not really a scoring threat.

One other thing: Joe Canning's no-look behind-the-back pass to David Burke and point was just incredible, people were on their feet for that point, probably up there with the greatest scores I've ever seen!

I'd like to see Galway play Limerick, but I'm not sure if thats possible? We cant play Dublin, and presuming Waterford lose tomorrow, its either them or boys in green, and I know which one I'd prefer.

If I was to pick a team, which of course I won't be :p , it would be

1) C.Callanan
    2) Moore
    3) Kavanagh
    4) Collins
    5) Lee (needs to lose weight and cop on!! :mad: )
    6) Regan
    7) Cullinane
    8) Burke
    9) Smith
    10) Gantley
    11) Tannian
    12) A.Callanan
    13) Hayes
    14) Canning
    15) Farragher

Joyce, Barry, Daly, Donnellan, Kerins, Harte are 6 good subs to have I think? Hopefully the good form continues and we get to a Semi-Final at least.

Hope Eoin Forde continues to play with the difficulties he has at the moment, his performance in the club final was exceptional and I wouldn't mind him as a impact sub.

As for the football, I think letting Alan Mulholland have a chance with the seniors would be great, and hopefully he would be playing the majority of the u21s, we have to realise the current guys aren't up to the job, so we might as well build for the future? :confused:

ladybike wrote: »
    Galway hurling were very good today, better than expected really. I thought the good performance last week was due to Clare being terrible, and possibly we saw a Cork team today at the end of an era in regards some players, like Niall McCarthy and the O'Connors. But Galway were genuinely good, they played as a unit, and (almost) everyone had a good game!

After Skehill's calamity in the 1st minute :p he had a reasonable game, puck outs weren't bad, although I would rather have Colm Callanan in goal, he isn't as prone to mistakes as Skehill. Collins was outstanding in his corner, Fergal Moore was solid, and after the first 10 minutes, Kavanagh handled O'Sullivan well, and the majority of 1-3 wasn't Kavanaghs fault.

Regan was brilliant, Cullinane likewise, and although I don't think Barry should be playing, he did fine.

Burke = Unreal performance :D. Smith was good aswell, don't know why he was taken off.

Tannian on the surface did a lot of bad things, shot a few bad wides and gave away a few possesions. But his hurling brain is great, he reads the game so well, movement is excellent and it is fair to say John Gardiner didn't have much of an impact on the game. The good outweighed the bad! Farragher was the same, few bad things mixed with some good, 0-4 is a good return. Gantley caught a lot of ball, good player I think, finally living up to club form.

Hayes was brilliant, for such a small man! Unreal pace, and took his goal well. Big Joe was patchy, some poor frees at the start, but he really picked up. 0-5 from play I think, not bad :) Alan Kerins battles hard, contributed in breaking balls to the other forwards but not really a scoring threat.

One other thing: Joe Canning's no-look behind-the-back pass to David Burke and point was just incredible, people were on their feet for that point, probably up there with the greatest scores I've ever seen!

I'd like to see Galway play Limerick, but I'm not sure if thats possible? We cant play Dublin, and presuming Waterford lose tomorrow, its either them or boys in green, and I know which one I'd prefer.

If I was to pick a team, which of course I won't be :p , it would be

1) C.Callanan
    2) Moore
    3) Kavanagh
    4) Collins
    5) Lee (needs to lose weight and cop on!! :mad: )
    6) Regan
    7) Cullinane
    8) Burke
    9) Smith
    10) Gantley
    11) Tannian
    12) A.Callanan
    13) Hayes
    14) Canning
    15) Farragher

Joyce, Barry, Daly, Donnellan, Kerins, Harte are 6 good subs to have I think? Hopefully the good form continues and we get to a Semi-Final at least.

Hope Eoin Forde continues to play with the difficulties he has at the moment, his performance in the club final was exceptional and I wouldn't mind him as a impact sub.

As for the football, I think letting Alan Mulholland have a chance with the seniors would be great, and hopefully he would be playing the majority of the u21s, we have to realise the current guys aren't up to the job, so we might as well build for the future? :confused:

Good summation. Only thing is I would disagree with your team selection, I think it is pretty much picking itself I would'nt bring in players like Callanan and Lee who have no form behind them.

We can only play Waterford or Tipperary. We cannot play Limerick until at least a final. :D Limerick are playing Dublin.

Your dead right about the footballers. Some of the young lads, Curran, Flynn, Hehir, Duane will learn from this and hopefully come back stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

As Cork man I wish ye the very best of luck for rest the hurling championship. Best team(by mile) won today...

Ye be tough to beat if ye play to potential.

• Advertisement

Good summation. Only thing is I would disagree with your team selection, I think it is pretty much picking itself I would'nt bring in players like Callanan and Lee who have no form behind them.

We can only play Waterford or Tipperary. We cannot play Limerick until at least a final. :D Limerick are playing Dublin.

Wouldn't bring them in now, don't change the winning formula, but in a "perfect" world :p

And why exactly can we not play Limerick can someone explain??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement