Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

j1 2015 ?

• 07-09-2014 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Okay so anybody thinking of a j1 ? Or anybody returning from one ?

Me and a few of my associates (first year college) are thinking of going but would like some input from others :)

•is NYC really expensive and hard to get a job ?
    •is the west coast an option ?
    •ocean city Maryland looks fun has anyone looked at it ?
    •would it be sh×t not being 21 ?
    •is accomadation hard to come by ?
    •and anything else you'd like to say :)

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Well this is rather humorous

• Registered Users Posts: 2 losername

racso1975 wrote: »
    Well this is rather humorous

So is a 39 year old man reading college students thoughts on a j1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Your posting in the wrong forum

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I laughed, then I cried. For the OP, of curse (sic).

@OP, double extra wrong thread. Hope you have a great time somewhere, there, where. Your now mates may not be your future mates. Live and learn and all that...

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Just a heads up, being Irish is not nearly as cool as you think it would be over there. Irish people grow up thinking they are the be all and end all in America, on the west coast, you will find loads of people who barely know it exists, then in some places they are so used to J1ers that they hate the Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Apt Username ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Marie_P95

Hey losername,

went on my first J1 this summer just gone by (2014). It was absolutely incredible.
    Me and a group of 15 friends went to Montauk, Long Island just a 2 hour train outside NYC. We stayed in a place called 'Ann Breyers Cottages' where there are 10 cottages, which they only rent to irish J1 students, it makes it so easy to make friends and the drinking sessions are class cos everyone drinks out in the courtyard. But because there are only 10 cottages you would need to book them in early/mid january. There are 4, 5, and 6 person cottages. Theyre absolutely tiny but hilarious to live in. We were all 19/20 years old and had NO problem getting into bars and nightclubs, just make sure you have a reasonably ok 21s ID with you. All the bouncers in the town know that irish kids are allowed drink at 21 so they aren't that strict, but we made friends with one of the bouncers so he always let us in :) Jobs wise, there are SOOO many restaurants, bars, and shops around. But if you wanna make good money make sure you work in a restaurant or bar, that way you'll get loads of good tips. Try to avoid working in clothes shops or take-away restaurants. Its the most gorgeous, laid back place on earth. The whole town is surrounded by beaches. The working season doesnt really start to get busy until the last week in June but by the time 4th of July comes around its packed, and you'll earn such good tips because everyone from NYC comes down for the weekend. Transport wise a bus comes outside the cottages 3 times a day and brings you into the town, taxis are really easily available and are like $4 minimum. Its kinda expensive to live over there but the money you earn is so good. My rent from $200 a week but including your tips and wages i was earning like $800-$900 a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I don't get it . . .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Look beyond the usual NY, Boston, Chicago and San Francisco. There is a good Irish society in Denver Colorado, If you are in to Irish music, GAA etc check out the Emerald Society. They will be delighted to line up some employment opportunities for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

still waiting for the punchline ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Ironically enough this is the funniest thread in here in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Zubap64

Anyone thinking of heading to chicago? myself and 2 friends heading over at the end of may if anyone looking to house share to cut costs let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

I hear Chicago is a windy city. I would look for a strong house built of brick, those wood and straw houses are notorious for their poor wind-withstanding capabilities.

Oh and the Great lakes? They're good lakes, not great lakes Bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

The zombie thread that keeps on giving. Major disappoint at level of humour though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 erooney1

can anyone help

heading to santa cruz June 1st and cannot seem to get any accommodation at all!!!

6 heading altogether and the hostel is fully booked

any help from anyone over there or anyone who has been would be really really helpful

thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Heading to Santa Cruz! No one told me. Bring some black pudding

• Registered Users Posts: 2 erooney1

ha so i have been told!

any ideas what summer work/accommodation is like?

thanks

Advertisement