Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broadband coverage maap

• 16-01-2013 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

We in IoffL are providing a "Can I get broadband?" map. We aim to launch this officially within the next few months.

At this point this is purely beta and we are looking for feedback and perhaps assistance.

If you would like to help please get in touch. If you are a broadband provider also feel free to get in touch and we'd love to add your coverage details to the map.

http://irelandoffline.org/map/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭IrelandOffline_

Broadband coverage MAP updated...(not maap)

All comments and suggestions welcome as ever

• Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Excellent, well done to all involved, it's a great app.

How far along is it?

Excellent, well done to all involved, it's a great app.

How far along is it?

The "global view" implementation is coming along and should be ready soon.

The volunteer who came up with the idea and did all the background work has done a fantastic job and shown the value of the data we've collected from various public sources down through the years. Well done to "he who shall remain nameless".

This is one way very good of visualizing the data.

Here's an alternative implementation which we call the "what's around me" tool:

http://ioffl.eu.pn/

All comments are welcome, as both tools are in beta

Some WISP (wireless providers) data now available in the "What's around me" map (still in beta)

If your data/coverage is not on the map please feel free to contact us at the usual email address...

As ever feedback is most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Great Idea, and thanks for the efforts in putting it together.

I was looking at the map at http://metaphor.serveftp.org/mapping/ , it seems a bit hard to isolate the providers.

Our little scheme here in orange is blocked by another provider and there is also another provider underneath that cannot be seen either, It would be nice to be able to peel back the layers and see who is who.

I can also tell you that some of the providers coverage (In my area anyhow) is greatly over estimated

20_02_2013_08_23_41.jpg

• Advertisement

Big Lar wrote: »

I was looking at the map at http://metaphor.serveftp.org/mapping/ , it seems a bit hard to isolate the providers.

Our little scheme here in orange is blocked by another provider and there is also another provider underneath that cannot be seen either, It would be nice to be able to peel back the layers and see who is who.

I can also tell you that some of the providers coverage (In my area anyhow) is greatly over estimated

Basically if you look on the right side you get a list of the providers in the area, if you click on one you can see the coverage for that provider. Perhaps not very intuitive but we're always open to suggestions.

We can only go on publicly available data sources so yes the coverage areas are probably way over estimated...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭clohamon

Big Lar wrote: »

There are discussions going on about the overlap issue, and grouping/layering is one solution that is possible. With regard to overstatement of areas, it's in nobody's interest to lead potential customers up the garden path only to disappoint in the end, but the incentive to overstate is undeniable. Any ideas on that?

241834.jpg

clohamon wrote: »
    There are discussions going on about the overlap issue, and grouping/layering is one solution that is possible. With regard to overstatement of areas, it's in nobody's interest to lead potential customers up the garden path only to disappoint in the end, but the incentive to overstate is undeniable. Any ideas on that?

Its one of those cannot be avoided I guess, unless one heads off out canvassing houses in every area in the country to see what provider they are with but thats not going to happen for several reasons.
    But in thinking about it there is a positive side to also to overstating the territory, if a provider gets a certain number calls from an area that they claim to cover but presently are not then that provider may see fit to provide cover in that area ;)

I wonder if you could tie in ratemyisp.ie information with the map?

Basically if you look on the right side you get a list of the providers in the area, if you click on one you can see the coverage for that provider. Perhaps not very intuitive but we're always open to suggestions.

Ah, I see the link now on the RHS, that's all good.
    It's a little bit complicated for the first time user a little tutorial slide show/video would be a nice idea me thinks, I could volunteer a bit of time to that if ye thought it was a good idea.

P.S. That should be West Waterford Community Broadband rather than West Waterford Broadband, the community is important to us.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

clohamon wrote: »
    With regard to overstatement of areas, it's in nobody's interest to lead potential customers up the garden path only to disappoint in the end, but the incentive to overstate is undeniable.
    The other consideration is just how hard a problem it is to reliably predict coverage. There are free coverage prediction tools and expensive ones; there are free sources of terrain data and expensive ones. And none of them can tell you about the tree that's strategically placed between Aunty Maureen's house and the one high site she would otherwise be able to see.

Speaking for myself, I run prediction models with a few different variables, and examine the generated coverage maps to compare with my knowledge of what coverage is actually like. When I find a model that seems reasonably accurate for a few high sites, I let it run for our whole network.

I end up having to make a decision on whether to over- or underestimate coverage. Sure, I don't want to disappoint someone who calls, but - from a commercial perspective - it's better than having someone not bother calling because we've effectively told them that we won't be able to help them.

tl;dr: coverage prediction is hard, cut us some slack. :)

oscarBravo wrote: »
    tl;dr: coverage prediction is hard, cut us some slack. :)

I have no doubt that Maureen's big bush as scuppered a lot of people along the way :) and I understand that there is an acceptable tolerance but then there is just pure outrageous, I see one national provider marked on the map supposedly covering an area (Clashmore) and they have never been there as a matter of fact they scaled down there operation and retracted back within 15mls of the area about three years ago.

Its one of those things I guess, the information on the map will never be perfect but at least the map one major step in the right direction to giving some indication of whats available..

• Advertisement

Major gui update to "can I get broadband" website, also coverage maps for various wisps are now included, click on the various WISP names in the list on the right to get an overlay of coverage, at the moment we only have details for a few WISPs, notably WestNet,Digital Forge and Kerry Broadband (thanks guys).
    If you want your coverage included please let us know.

A lot of data cleanup,checking and collating was also done. (Thanks ever so much to those contributors too)

Comments and observations, as always are most welcome

There website has 2 temporary homes:
    http://ioffl.dlinkddns.com/
    http://metaphor.serveftp.org/mapping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Some of the wireless providers coverage doesn't seem entirely accurate but I guess that is impossible.

For example, we tried getting wireless broadband from an operator that says they offer it in our area and they came out and did a site survey but said they couldn't get line of sight due to trees etc...

If this isn't taken into account then maybe some kind of note can be put on the map as a lot of wireless providers charge for the site survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭bealtine

thebman wrote: »
    Some of the wireless providers coverage doesn't seem entirely accurate but I guess that is impossible.

For example, we tried getting wireless broadband from an operator that says they offer it in our area and they came out and did a site survey but said they couldn't get line of sight due to trees etc...

If this isn't taken into account then maybe some kind of note can be put on the map as a lot of wireless providers charge for the site survey.

Well trees in the way doesn't mean there isn't coverage in that area although it does mean that the user can't get wireless service at that particular location which sucks big time for the punter:(

I suppose a note saying wireless coverage is indicative and you should check with the provider if they can service your particular location is probably in order...I'll make the suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭josip

data we've collected from various public sources down through the years.

Well done on the great map. What are the public sources you use (comreg?) and how up to date are they? How soon after an operator rolls out a new site or decomissions an old one, will it be updated on the map?

josip wrote: »
    Well done on the great map. What are the public sources you use (comreg?) and how up to date are they? How soon after an operator rolls out a new site or decomissions an old one, will it be updated on the map?

Some of the sites the data is based on are no longer with us: infrastructure.ie and broadband.gov. The base data was sourced from these sites and changes and additions were either crowd-sourced or cross checked on various types of streetview sites (GMaps and bing)

The underlying idea is to prod the various providers to keep the data up to date and provide a good service to the end-user and as a resource showing where broadband is available.

Some providers have agreed (in principle) to keep us updated, others don't seem to give a damn about their consumers (they know who they are). We do have to thank the providers that agree that a central resource outlining broadband options across the country is really a good thing.

Furthermore any provider that wants to be included should get in touch with us.
    So to answer your question : some of the data is out of date but at full launch we do hope more providers will be on-board...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Comreg of course ought to have been doing this for the last 10 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭bealtine

watty wrote: »
    Comreg of course ought to have been doing this for the last 10 years!

haha since when did comreg give a damn about consumers?

According to their "mission statement" thingy on web site ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

Thurles exchange is missing. We have UPC well over 10 years in Thurles and yet most people are still with Eircom it's unbelievable how stupid most people are not to switch to upc just because they are with Eircom since it was P&T Telecom Éireann :/

To add Premier Broadband is missing www.premierbroadband.net serves parts of North/South Tipperary

chris2008x wrote: »
    Thurles exchange is missing. We have UPC well over 10 years in Thurles and yet most people are still with Eircom it's unbelievable how stupid most people are not to switch to upc just because they are with Eircom since it was P&T Telecom Éireann :/

To add Premier Broadband is missing www.premierbroadband.net serves parts of North/South Tipperary

yes we have the wrong co-ordinates for the exchange...do you happen to know where it is and could mark it on a map?

We contacted all the wisps and very few of them were interested so unless they give us coverage maps there's not a lot we can do...

• Advertisement

yes we have the wrong co-ordinates for the exchange...do you happen to know where it is and could mark it on a map?

Found it...map updated...

map updated

Now with added VDSL cabinets (eFibre)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭dartup

it should mention what speed because eircoms i1mb is only 700k slow

dartup wrote: »
    it should mention what speed because eircoms i1mb is only 700k slow

eh wut?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

map updated

Now with added VDSL cabinets (eFibre)

Thanks - that was fast!

Can you clarify one thing - are those eFibre cabinets shown on your map what will be launched on Monday only, or is it the full list of cabinets to be eFibre'd?

If it's the former, is there a list of planned cabinets?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Thanks - that was fast!

Can you clarify one thing - are those eFibre cabinets shown on your map what will be launched on Monday only, or is it the full list of cabinets to be eFibre'd?

If it's the former, is there a list of planned cabinets?

And there should be a circle of 1Km around the cabinets, because Eircom have stated that they will not enable anyone 1Km or more from their nearest cabinet.

Map (still in beta, must be the longest beta on the planet) updated...

Now with lots of wisp coverage details and some other minor improvements.

Slight change of temporary addresses:

http://ioffl.dlinkddns.com/

alternate address : http://metaphor.zapto.org/mapping/
    This is the working site, ideas tester and newer features

Soon to be given a permanent home...

Questions and observations are always welcome.

Thanks

I get a blank main window on both those, just the sidebar on left. All scripts allowed. A popup asks me if I want to share location and I click no.

It only shows a Map if I click yes to share location. Surely if you click no it should load anyway with centre of Ireland.

Besides Geoloaction could be mad wrong or Work rather than home, or a cyber cafe and you want to find out about home or a new house?

Or am I holding it wrong? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I get a blank main window on both those, just the sidebar on left. All scripts allowed. A popup asks me if I want to share location and I click no.
    Assuming you're using Firefox, it's because the browser never times out when asking for permission. I've added a work around, which needs to be reviewed. Should be available shortly.which is now up on irelandoffline.org/map/
    Surely if you click no it should load anyway with centre of Ireland.
    It should, and does in other browsers (incl. mobile)
    Besides Geoloaction could be mad wrong or Work rather than home, or a cyber cafe and you want to find out about home or a new house?
    We have to start somewhere. Right now, if you don't want to tell us where you are, we start in Athlone. If you do want to tell us where you are, we start there. We can't second guess where you live (!), and starting in Athlone/Birr/etc. is a poor user experience (given that the vast majority of users won't be from there). So, it's not perfect (as no such solution exists), but it's a good start. Most people are more likely to live closer to their work, than Athlone; so it's not a big deal (for most users).
    Yes; of course!

• Advertisement

It only shows a Map if I click yes to share location. Surely if you click no it should load anyway with centre of Ireland.

I can only assume you are using firefox and this issue is reported as a bug in Mozilla but marked as wont fix...silly firefox.

Works ok in IE but is a bit slow. Works great in Chrome....and on my mobile (chrome too)

Advertisement