Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Breast Feeding in Restaurant

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Didn't realise people weren't entitled to their own opinion on Boards.
    Of course they are and everyone else is clearly of the opinion that your opinion is beyond ridiculous. Are they not supposed to express that?
    Breast feed elsewhere, not a restaurant.

The law is very, very clear on this. The woman in question was acting within the law. You very possibly were in breach of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Didn't realise people weren't entitled to their own opinion on Boards.

Some of you would want to relax. Especially you Dudess with the foul language.

Breast feed elsewhere, not a restaurant.

A restaurant is a place to go to, to eat food. I can't think of a place more suitable. Is she supposed to feed her baby in the jacks or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The claim about everyone else looking shocked is no doubt made up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I wonder if the majority of people feel this way.
    Some of you would want to relax. Especially you Dudess with the foul language.

OP asks for people's opinion.

Then gets annoyed when they respond.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Is she supposed to feed her baby in the jacks or something?

Nah the op would probably think that is no the place either. Maybe the mother should go out the back and sit by the bins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Dudess wrote: »
    Maybe I'm being sexist, but it's particularly gear-grinding when a woman has this attitude.
    OP, I'm assuming her breasts were covered up as much as possible, and only the nipple in the baby's mouth wasn't? That is usually how public breastfeeding goes. Therefore, those who are offended by tits out (but it's ok on page 3) are actually imagining things.
    The reason some women do this is because their babies won't take bottle-feeds, and they can't limit feeds to just private places - because the baby could start getting very hungry in public. And something tells me you wouldn't be tolerant of a baby screaming with hunger in public either.

Firstly, I wasn't "offended".

Secondly, I'm not trolling. I genuinely don't understand why she couldn't have done this in her car, in the bathroom, somewhere more private, but a restaurant?

And I know I'm not the only one who feels this way, the people I were with said they found it shocking too. And no, they're not "morons" for feeling this way. It's a matter of opinion and I'm entitled to it, just because you guys don't agree doesn't make me a "troll".

iguana wrote: »
    The law is very, very clear on this. The woman in question was acting within the law. You very possibly were in breach of it.

Can someone who is eating in the restaurant be fined for it? I would've thought it would only apply to people operating the restaurant.

Dudess wrote: »
    The claim about everyone else looking shocked is no doubt made up.

They were possibly shocked and disgusted by the way the OP reacted. Whenever I see someone react like that to a breastfeeding mother I ask the management to have a word with them. Or in cases where I was the management I told them to stop it or leave. It's a disgraceful way to carry on and illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

The restaurant should charge the baby imo.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Going by people's facial expressions in the restaurant they weren't too impressed.

Fúck them.

What is your problem? From your username I'd guess you're a young woman? Are you actually repulsed by another young woman feeding her baby? What the Hell are you gawping at her for in the first place? I would expect that sort of attitude from some prudish old man tbh.

I think your gripe says more about you and your fellow diners than it does about the poor girl trying to feed her baby.. Did she stand on the table and pull her boobs out under a spotlight? I seriously doubt it.. infact I'll bet she did it as discretely as she possible could.. but not discretely enough for you unfortunately..

Get a life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

WTF?
    Anytime I've ever seen this in public it's been so discrete I'd barely have even noticed it. :confused:
    Why do you consider it offensive? I'd much rather someone was breast feeding than have to listen to the kid screaming because it's hungry.

Can someone who is eating in the restaurant be fined for it? I would've thought it would only apply to people operating the restaurant.

No only the restaurant but they are required to stop the person or make them leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP must be trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I'm sorry everyone but I'm with the OP on this one ignorant or not I would prefer if it did not happen in the restaurant but then again kids in restaurants tend to annoy me anyway.
    Having said that I'm sure she was discreet about it but I also think she could have gone to a private location to feed the baby or fed the baby before she went to the restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Firstly, I wasn't "offended".

Secondly, I'm not trolling. I genuinely don't understand why she couldn't have done this in her car, in the bathroom, somewhere more private, but a restaurant?

And I know I'm not the only one who feels this way, the people I were with said they found it shocking too. And no, they're not "morons" for feeling this way. It's a matter of opinion and I'm entitled to it, just because you guys don't agree doesn't make me a "troll".

the bathroom? do you eat in your one at home? oh no because thats disgusting and full of germs.

its your problem you find something so natural shocking, grow up and get over it.

kincsem wrote: »
    The restaurant should charge the baby imo.

Like corkage or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Like corkage or something?

boobage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I would have offered to taste the produce to make sure it was of sufficient quality to be fit for consumption because, you know, I'm nice like that. I like to think I'm offering a public service, it's my calling, so to speak.

I genuinely don't understand why she couldn't have done this in her car, in the bathroom, somewhere more private, but a restaurant?
    It has been explained why. You should therefore be a bit more enlightened.
    And I know I'm not the only one who feels this way, the people I were with said they found it shocking too. And no, they're not "morons" for feeling this way.
    They are, because their view is completely close-minded. They are entitled to their opinion - and others are entitled to be of the opinion that their opinion is stupid. She would have hidden her tits. She/her baby can't be blamed for some people thinking tits are only sexual and dirty and that some people imagined a pair of explosed diddies were presented before them when they weren't...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

hondasam wrote: »
    I'm sorry everyone but I'm with the OP on this one ignorant or not I would prefer if it did not happen in the restaurant but then again kids in restaurants tend to annoy me anyway.
    Having said that I'm sure she was discreet about it but I also think she could have gone to a private location to feed the baby or fed the baby before she went to the restaurant.

Exactly, I never once said it was "disgusting" of the mother, but I do think she could have done it elsewhere. Not in a restaurant.

You all seem very annoyed. I didn't mean to cause offence. A debate more so as it's an interesting discussion. :o

• Advertisement

Pretty disgusting to say a nursing woman should leave a premises in which she's paying money too.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killed By Death

:( I think I'll hide this thread. It's depressing.

hondasam wrote: »

But if the woman is out and about with her baby for a couple of hours and the baby begins to get hungry, where in a busy town, village or town is private?

:( I think I'll hide this thread. It's depressing.

It's not that bad. The majority of people on it are sensible. There are just a couple of people with odd, selfish ideas.

Exactly, I never once said it was "disgusting" of the mother, but I do think she could have done it elsewhere. Not in a restaurant.

You all seem very annoyed. I didn't mean to cause offence. A debate more so as it's an interesting discussion. :o

You could have worded your op a bit better, you did have a go at the mother, not everyone would be happy to see a mother breastfeeding in a restaurant but as others have pointed out it's their problem not the mother's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

If this was tomorrow I would think it is an Aprils Fool prank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

So did she yanoo have a nice pair of round perky ones?

Is she supposed to do it in the middle of a shop floor?
    Perhaps down an allyway?

I can't think of anywhere more suitable for breastfeeding than a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭elainerut

I currently feed my baby he's my 3rd and he's 9 months now. I ALWAYS feed him where ever and whenever he wants it and am so very proud to do so. I have never experienced any such reaction in all my yrs feeding any of my 3 kids. Always get nice smiles from people. Shame on u. . Its with attitudes like urs tgat people choose to not breastfeed.

• Advertisement

ilovesleep wrote: »
    But if the woman is out and about with her baby for a couple of hours and the baby begins to get hungry, where in a busy town, village or town is private?

Babies do not just get hungry,mothers have a good idea when the next feed is due and plan accordingly. If the mother had just got to the restaurant she would have known the baby was due a feed.
    Maybe she could have tried to give the baby a drink from a bottle first, maybe she did try this I dunno.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement