Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News: March 2011 is the last intake

• 09-03-2011 10:16pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hi everyone.

Here is some news from some of the people who recently attended SID for the March 2011 intake:

The head of HR was there in person and said that this was going to be the last intake for at least a year and a half to possibly two years. This was reinforced a number of times by different people throughout the course of the day. They were informed not to get injured during training as there would be no incoming squad under them that they could be back-squadded into. (No pressure lads!)

They are the last under the Patten recommendations but this does not mean that 50/50 is over. There were hints that 50/50 would continue in some form when recruitment picked up again.

Another person in authority suggested that they could very well be the last intake in Garnerville, and the next one being in Desertcreat. They did their best to make this intake as big as possible for this reason, and the figures I've been quoted would certainly make this a big intake.

The rest of the information is not suitable for this forum for security reasons.

Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sharan

i think it ryhmes with clucking bell....so what happens to everyone on the c16 list is it dear Johns or a two year odd wait? Might suit my circumstances actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

:eek::(:(:(

Depressing news!!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I'm guessing it'll be "Dear John" letters because they'd have to do medicals and vetting all over again. My understanding is that these are only valid for a year in any one campaign. In other words, anyone who has been successful from Campaign 16 has now been informed - the rest have not been successful this time around. That is my interpretation of things as they stand which may not be 100% correct, but on balance is more likely to be true than false.
    sharan wrote: »
    i think it ryhmes with clucking bell....so what happens to everyone on the c16 list is it dear Johns or a two year odd wait? Might suit my circumstances actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mal4893

I agree as this is where everything is pointing! As much as I want to stay positive I thing the chances are running out fast! If I was a betting man (which I'm not!) I could put a fair wack that this will be the case! But I'll be happy to say I'm wrong if they decide to recruit another 200 out of this campaign! (wishful thinking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Thanks for that info psni , disappointing though this news is at least it brings a degree of certainty ( insofar as there ever can be any certainty in the PSNI recruitment process :rolleyes: ).
    I would agree that it it is likely some sort of ' positive discrimination ' will continue into future recruitment.

We can only speculate on what the future may bring but it does look that those of us who didn't get the call for March have reached the end of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Ash1008

Thanks for the news PSNI.

I was quietly living in hope there for a bit. With no job apart from part time retail work at the moment, at little invite for a medical and some vetting forms would have been most welcome...

They better at least send out a Dear John letter after all this waiting!

On reflection, I wish they'd just told me at the end of last year when they were telling everyone else. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

psni wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

Here is some news from some of the people who recently attended SID for the March 2011 intake:

The head of HR was there in person and said that this was going to be the last intake for at least a year and a half to possibly two years. This was reinforced a number of times by different people throughout the course of the day. They were informed not to get injured during training as there would be no incoming squad under them that they could be back-squadded into. (No pressure lads!)

They are the last under the Patten recommendations but this does not mean that 50/50 is over. There were hints that 50/50 would continue in some form when recruitment picked up again.

Another person in authority suggested that they could very well be the last intake in Garnerville, and the next one being in Desertcreat. They did their best to make this intake as big as possible for this reason, and the figures I've been quoted would certainly make this a big intake.

The rest of the information is not suitable for this forum for security reasons.

Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news.

Any idea why they are doing up the rooms at G'ville as we speak then if they wont be used?:rolleyes:

TBH I will wait until I get official news, ie a Dear John letter, before I give up all hope. As I said in the rumour thread I had heard there will be another one or two in takes in the summer, so I will keep my fingers crossed until then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Gee-22 wrote: »
    Any idea why they are doing up the rooms at G'ville as we speak then if they wont be used?:rolleyes:

TBH I will wait until I get official news, ie a Dear John letter, before I give up all hope. As I said in the rumour thread I had heard there will be another one or two in takes in the summer, so I will keep my fingers crossed until then :)

I will wait with you on this one - looking more like it, but it aint over till they say it is - assuming they have someone to make that call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

Thanks PSNI for the news - I've been hawking the BBC NewsNI site the last week or so waiting on news; I should have known you'd post it here first ;)

To all the people who were dreading this and to whom it appears to be the end of the road for C16 I do feel for you all and wish you all the very best for the future, no one can question your dedication, loyality or commitment, and for this reason I hope you apply again - I certainly will.

I imagine these parts will now be fairly quiet for the forseeable future and although I will still keep checking 'the boards' I wanted to take the opportunity while you're all still here to thank Boards.ie for providing us such an invaluable format for all to virtually get together and share our moments of doubt, of worry, of sorrow and of joy - I know it has kept me hanging on the good side sanity (just about) for two campaigns. The nature of the job does not afford us an opportunity to get together in the 'real world' so this forum has been particulary benefical, to me at least. Of course, where would we all be without the hard work and dedication of the Moderators past and present - we owe you all a debt of gratitude for your never ending hard work, the tolerance you have shown and the advice you have offered.

That said, I must end my post lest the temptation to use 'text speak' one last time gets the better of me :D

- tv

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Not sure why the "rolleyes" was used because there's a perfectly good explanation. Garnerville will be used for training other people now that it's quiet, not just the PSNI, and not just Student Officers. For example, did you know that the Isle of Man police trained in Garnerville in the past? Other stages of Probationer training may now be done in Garnerville as well.

Hope that answers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

psni wrote: »
    Not sure why the "rolleyes" was used because there's a perfectly good explanation. Garnerville will be used for training other people now that it's quiet, not just the PSNI, and not just Student Officers. For example, did you know that the Isle of Man police trained in Garnerville in the past? Other stages of Probationer training may now be done in Garnerville as well.

Hope that answers.

I think you have read too much into my smilie. Simply looking up at your post.

Given that it seems there will be no recruitment for some time I would love to know what the additional funding recently granted will be spent on ?
    Perhaps serving officers can look forward to lots of overtime :)

I think you have read too much into my smilie.

The "rolleyes" smilie is what it is. If you hover the mouse over it, you'll see the words "Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)". In absence of anything to help me understand why it was there, it looked like you were displeased at something I had written.
    Simply looking up at your post.

Thanks for clearing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭thebakerboy

This news is not what we hoped for but, think we knew it was coming.

I found out from vetting that my vetting hasn't even been looked at. It would appear that they are/were still working off priority lists from External Appointments. I had emailed to ask about a business opportunity that had come up, and wondered would they require information about it. This is the reply I received.

We are currently completing vetting for people named on priority lists from our External Appointments branch. Your name has not been included on these lists and at this time your vetting is not been being processed. I will add the attached information to your file and should it become necessary to continue with your vetting process at a later date the information will be taken into consideration at that time.

I was totally gutted when reading this, but time to put my feet up and wait on what the will future bring. Good luck to everyone for the future, maybe we will meet at Desertcreat.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

This news is quite disapointing but its something that ive been building myself up for over the past month anyway. I think that the right thing for recruitment to do now is just let us know formally as soon as possible so that we can get on with the rest of our lives for a couple of years.

I think I heard some where that they would be spending cash on a new helicopter or upgrading curent ones? not sure where this came from though.

Totally agree with TV- boards serves well as a mental health repair centre.cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 SJAG

Well this does look like dissapointing news. However I am still clinging onto whatever little hope there is still left. I have put it to some 'insiders' as to what the plan would seem to be with regards to future recruitment and the above news. I seem to be getting a consistent response of 'they really do not have the ability to male definitive decisions, and are as likely to go against the news as to follow what it suggests.'
    Also still waiting to a friend who is in the March intake.

Chin up til the dear john lands.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

I would be surprised if there is no recruitment for 2 years - mostly because a certain 'well known' high level police officer told me recently that they had just been told they are getting more money and will be recruiting again very soon (this was before the xtra money was in the news). Under the circumstances in which I met this individual I would be very very surprised if what he said was not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Have to say I am gutted over this latest development & as much as wish it was not true, PSNI is rarely wrong, all though no offence I hope you are this time :D. I would ask 2 questions, firstly, will any outstanding vetting being completed or will it all just stop where it is now? So, will someone who many have failed vetting actually just get the dear john, then apply again, only to fail vetting then. I think this would be terribly cruel on the person & also, a gross waste of resources.

Secondly, if this does not pose a security risk, what is the current rate of serving officers retiring, resigning or leaving the PSNI at present? I only ask to see if the intakes which has started since the last year will cover the amount of officers leaving this year or last year for that matter.

I would also like to echo what has been said previously, many thanks to everyone on this forum for all the help & advice through this process, it would have been ten times harder without. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Tinkerbell2003

I can confirm that all probation training is moving to G'ville in the next few months. I recived an email yeasterday with the date the move happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mal4893

I was speaking to a serving officer last nite and as far as he knows there is 300 FTR leaving this month! So the intakes this year doesnt even cover that never mind natural wastage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sharan

Funnily enough I spoke to a good friend who serves and he done a bit of digging and yeah it right there is a lot leaving as their contracts aren't being renewed. Wonder if this intake is a lot higher to compensate though?

Can anyone confirm how many have been selected from this campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Buzz35

If what PSNI says is correct (which it probably is) I would say we are looking at the start of a new campaign in early 2012 which would mean the next intakes being about 1.5 to 2 years away. By that time after the FTRs are gone, and retirements etc, you would think that at least a few hundred recruits would be required?

1967J wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm how many have been selected from this campaign
    I think you'd need to stick in an FOI request to get the exact figure. I don't even think the figures would be finalised yet.

Buzz35 wrote: »
    By that time after the FTRs are gone, and retirements etc, you would think that at least a few hundred recruits would be required?
    Absolutely. At least!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Has any details about the new college been released yet? The reason I ask would it be possible that the freeze on recruitment leads to a shortfall in personal & the new college would be able to take larger intakes, so hence any shortfall would be quickly fixed with the opening of the college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 dixie33

Buzz35 wrote: »
    If what PSNI says is correct (which it probably is) I would say we are looking at the start of a new campaign in early 2012 which would mean the next intakes being about 1.5 to 2 years away. By that time after the FTRs are gone, and retirements etc, you would think that at least a few hundred recruits would be required?

my thoughts exactly.

I think i can handle a year without recruitment, the only thing i'm worried about is that when recruitment does come about again then competition may be fierce. Think about all the people who would now be eligible for recruitment (e.g. because they are now old enough to apply etc) and add that onto the number of people who have been applying for a multiple campaigns but have not been successful, plus people who will be first time appliers (like myself)

Surely the numbers for a new campaign would be higher than average ?

You could argue that the number of people who are now not eligible to apply would maybe balance this out (because of age or convictions or whatever) but i doubt that number will make a significant impact. Perhaps more large or simply just more intakes would combat this?

anyone else any thoughts on this? :)

dixie33 wrote: »
    my thoughts exactly.

I think i can handle a year without recruitment, the only thing i'm worried about is that when recruitment does come about again then competition may be fierce. Think about all the people who would now be eligible for recruitment (e.g. because they are now old enough to apply etc) and add that onto the number of people who have been applying for a multiple campaigns but have not been successful, plus people who will be first time appliers (like myself)

You could argue that the number of people who are now not eligible to apply would maybe balance this out (because of age or convictions or whatever) but i doubt that number will make a significant impact. Perhaps more large or simply just more intakes would combat this?

Think the numbers would stay about the same - popular job to apply for think C16 saw over 10k apply for the limited places available - in the interim you may also wish to factor in the political situation - if it improves then more may apply alternatively if it were to get worse this may put a few off applying - swings and roundabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 20 wannabecop

just went on to joinpsni.co.uk and in the news it confirms no 2011 recruitment not sure if u knew this but looks like if psni right at least a 1 and a half years before any intakes

• Advertisement

dixie33 wrote: »
    my thoughts exactly.

There are a number of variables that would impact the number of applicants to a future campaign.
    The existence of a freeze by AGS in the Republic would probably see more candidates from south of the border , similarly with freezes widespread in England and Wales it would be reasonable to expect more applications from ' across the water ' , factor in an expected reduction in other Public Service job opportunities in Northern Ireland and the ingredients exist to make for an exceptionally competitive process.

Having said that , there are one or 2 unknowns that could have a significant effect on the numbers applying - first and foremost is the Dissident threat - a high level of activity by terrorists would likely deter many applicants . The retention / abolition of 50/50 may also prove important to would-be candidates.

It's worth noting that while we all think 10,000 people going for 400 places is stiff competition spare a thought for the English force ( South Yorkshire I think ) who I understand , when they launched a drive with less than 100 positions attracted on the first day alone some 20,000 applications !!

Advertisement