Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coin Dealers in Dublin

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Hi guys,

I am in a process of buying a collection of coins, but I am a bit stock with the offer, had a look around, cant really find any relevant info. The collection is mainly silver and bronze hammered coins, some 1622, 1623 and 1624.

Any advice would be very helpful.
    Thanks!!

Bring them to a dealer who can see them and value them as your question is too vague to get any other answers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 PokerBonusMine

Blade wrote: »
    Bring them to a dealer who can see them and value them as your question is too vague to get any other answers here.

Okay, to be more specific:
    27x Hammered silver coins including three short cross pennies, a Charles 1st Shilling and a very hard to find Henry IV silver penny with anulet on breast, 1399 - 1413, York mint.

14 European silver coins, 11x 1 1/2 Grossus, Sigismund III, 1622, 1623 and 1624. 1x Austrian Hammered 3 Kreuzer Coin, Charles II, 1589. Archduke of Austria. 1x Rare Polish Silver 6 Groschen, Johann Casimir, 1666. 1x Hammered Silver Dinar, Ferdinand I, King of Hungary, 1528.

9x Roman Silver coins 7x Denarius and 2x Antoninianus.

63 Roman bronze coins, all have great detail and will clean up beautifully, this includes 3 Sestertius, one of which is quite rare (Vespasian AE Sestertius, 71AD) and one dupondius which is very fine.

14 George 2nd half pennies 1730's - 1750's

any advice would be much apreciated :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Hi guys,

I am in a process of buying a collection of coins, but I am a bit stock with the offer, had a look around, cant really find any relevant info. The collection is mainly silver and bronze hammered coins, some 1622, 1623 and 1624.

Any advice would be very helpful.
    Thanks!!

Really without seeing them it's impossible to value them as it's impossible to tell exactly what most of them are from your descriptions and more importantly their condition. It's all about condition with coins! We can only take a wild guess based on their lowest possible value. What's the deal here? Were you asked to make an offer on the whole lot? You should try and get some indication of what the seller has in mind and work from there. They might give you a figure that's a no-brainer and save you a lot of hassle trying to get individual evaluations. If you want to discuss figures by PM feel free to message me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Do any of the dealers mentioned on page 1 of the thread sell old Irish banknotes? Specifically i'm looking at getting the 'B' Series of notes (£1-£50) and i've a few in my watch list on ebay but if any of the dealers in Dublin sell them i might take a spin into town tomorrow to have a look. I'm not after mint condition or uncirculated notes,just want them to frame for nostalgia reasons.

Any help greatly appreciated.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

lord lucan - the only thing that I can tell you from the 1st post is that Bygones in the Market Arcade in Sth.Great Georges Street is gone. I would say fairs or eBay are your best bet. I'm still fighting the urge to buy coins and banknotes on eBay as I really have enough mind numbing dross already! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

lord lucan - the only thing that I can tell you from the 1st post is that Bygones in the Market Arcade in Sth.Great Georges Street is gone. I would say fairs or eBay are your best bet. I'm still fighting the urge to buy coins and banknotes on eBay as I really have enough mind numbing dross already! :D

Decided i'm gonna take a spin out to Blackrock tomorrow and check out the Collectors Corner. God help me,i'll go in for notes and come home with all manner of tat. I can't help myself sometimes!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

lord lucan I was thinking since, Antiques Fairs Ireland run fairs at various venues in the Greater Dublin Area as well as in Trim, Drogheda etc. and usually have stands with banknotes/coins etc., and might be of interest to you. Details here: http://www.vintageireland.eu/antiques-fairs.html
    also info on forthcoming collectors fairs can be found here: www.collectireland.blogspot.com

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

While tidying up the other day I discovered a 1986 Ireland's Coinage...one in a green catalogue presuming to launch the 20p as it has th horse in front...has this a good valuation?

I also found a boxed 50p - 988-1988 and a boxed €10 to mark Rowan Hamilton year of science.

Any info on these?

Thanks.

suitseir wrote: »
    While tidying up the other day I discovered a 1986 Ireland's Coinage...one in a green catalogue presuming to launch the 20p as it has th horse in front...has this a good valuation?

Around 500 Euro
    suitseir wrote: »
    I also found a boxed 50p - 988-1988 and a boxed €10 to mark Rowan Hamilton year of science.

20 and 30 Euro respectively

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Thanks Blade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

whats the fairest coin dealer in Dublin to go to(I have coins to sell)? Is the place in Georges St arcade ok?

whats the fairest coin dealer in Dublin to go to(I have coins to sell)? Is the place in Georges St arcade ok?

You'd really need to know the values yourself before going in, they'd usually ask you how much you are looking for them, rather than giving you a valuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

If you can knock across Andrew Auld from wicklow somewhere you'll find him the fairest, very good to deal with and ive never heard of him trying to rip anyone off

If you can knock across Andrew Auld from wicklow somewhere you'll find him the fairest, very good to deal with and ive never heard of him trying to rip anyone off

Agreed about Andrew Auld, I've dealt with him lots of times but for coins you'll only find him at the RDS coin fairs. I wouldn't send someone to him otherwise unless there was a large amount involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RobNewe

I have recently received a 1942 Irish Halfcrown in mint condition, does anyone know the value of this coin now?

RobNewe wrote: »
    I have recently received a 1942 Irish Halfcrown in mint condition, does anyone know the value of this coin now?

Anything up to 50 Euro if it is indeed UNC with original lustre. I'm always wary however when people use the term "mint condition" as it's not used to grade coins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sharpshooter murphy

Hi everyone,
    I have a coin its a 1664 charles ii guinea. could anyone tell me if its valuable?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cathalod

I have 4 full sovereign coins and 16 half soverign coins.. does anyone know a dealer in Dublin who will pay over spot value for them... Cheers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 redaxium

Whytes
    30 Marlborough Street, Dublin 1, Eire
    Tel: 3531-8746161 Fax 3531-8746020

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 macco777

Hi All, My mother was clearing out the attic of her father's house the other day and has come across a "1766 George 4th gold sovereign" which I can find NO information about on the internet. Now I would love to find out more about this coin however when I search for it I keep hearing that George the 3rd was reigning at the time that this coin was supposedly issued and if I take out the year I can still find no information on any gold sovereigns minted during George 4th reign. Has she come across a rare coin or a very good hoax? I haven't as of yet seen the coin but have been told it isn't in great condition but is definitely gold. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 akeady

macco777 wrote: »
    Hi All, My mother was clearing out the attic of her father's house the other day and has come across a "1766 George 4th gold sovereign" which I can find NO information about on the internet. Now I would love to find out more about this coin however when I search for it I keep hearing that George the 3rd was reigning at the time that this coin was supposedly issued and if I take out the year I can still find no information on any gold sovereigns minted during George 4th reign. Has she come across a rare coin or a very good hoax? I haven't as of yet seen the coin but have been told it isn't in great condition but is definitely gold. :confused:

As you say, George III was king in 1766 as his reign was from 1760 to 1820. Furthermore, the gold coin of the era was the guinea; the sovereign was introduced in 1817 (still George III). Sovereigns for George IV were minted between 1821 and 1830. A genuine 1766 gold coin (of George III) could only be a guinea or half guinea. Without a picture or description of the coin, it's impossible to say what it is. A battered guinea or half-guinea mightn't be worth more than its bullion value.

ATB,
    Aidan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shazros

do u no hw much a 1955 Irish Halfcrown in mint condition wud be now?

shazros wrote: »
    do u no hw much a 1955 Irish Halfcrown in mint condition wud be now?

You'll find price estimates on this useful site:

http://www.irishcoinage.com/

ATB,
    Aidan.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Rollercoaster

I am doing some research for a friend and am not having much success!

Could any one tell me where could I get an accurate list of the current market value for all the Irish Euro coin sets and specials issued since the start of the Euro in 2002?

All coins would be in UNC condition and in original presentation folders or boxes as dispatched from the Central Bank of Ireland.

I am doing some research for a friend and am not having much success!

Could any one tell me where could I get an accurate list of the current market value for all the Irish Euro coin sets and specials issued since the start of the Euro in 2002?

All coins would be in UNC condition and in original presentation folders or boxes as dispatched from the Central Bank of Ireland.

The annual mint sets of 8 or 9 coins in original folders from the central bank are all still worth only their release value, with the exception of the 2002 Irish central bank and also the Dutch mint set, both worth around 70 Euro. Also the 2003 set worth around 30 Euro. Everything else after that hasn't changed.

The silver and gold special issues or proof sets are a different story, most of them still only worth their release price but there's a few exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Rollercoaster

Thanks Blade. Is there a good website where I can keep a watch on the prices as they go up!? Also, I think the gold and silver coins are also in the collection. Have they gone up in value more than the annual sets?

Thanks Blade. Is there a good website where I can keep a watch on the prices as they go up!? Also, I think the gold and silver coins are also in the collection. Have they gone up in value more than the annual sets?

Yes some of them have, particularly the double sets of gold and silver in the one box, the Meštrović double silver set, the proof 8/9 coin sets. Also any of the others that have sold out will have gone up a bit in value but nothing major.

Don't know of any website with accurate values for Irish euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Trying to find out the value of a Victoria 1897 penny, also what does 'high tide' mean in respect to coins???

lrushe wrote: »
    Trying to find out the value of a Victoria 1897 penny, also what does 'high tide' mean in respect to coins???

According to Coin Yearbook 2010, 1897 pennies retail for between £2 in VF condition and £55 in UNC condition.

High tide relates to the level of the sea on the reverse behind Britannia. Higher than two folds of the robe is "high tide" for this, AFAIK.

ATB,
    A.

• Advertisement

The normal is high tide, the scarcer variety is a low tide. I only know of this variety regarding the 1902 penny, it may have happened in other dates too but I don't know off the top of my head as I don't collect British coins.

Advertisement