Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Linux Mint 16 Wifi Authenification Problem...

• 30-08-2014 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭

HI all,

I think this might be my first time posting on this section of boards.ie and I'm really hoping that one of you might be able to help me out here.

A good while back I switched my Dad's Windows 8 laptop to Linux MInt. He wouldn't be very teccy at all but he was able to browse the web and send the odd email, everything he needed. I loved using Mint too and I went so far as to put it on my girlfriend's old Inspiron laptop where it worked really well.

Recently though on my Dad's laptop, Mint has not been able to connect to the web through the wifi in the house. We have UPC for our internet and it doesn't seem to be able to connect to it. It recognises it but when you put in the password, or SSID, it will fail to connect saying that the password is incorrect even though it is not. It will then ask again, and again, and again...

When I used my Android phone as a wifi hotspot however Mint picks that up fine and has no issues with passwords or SSIDs there.

Connecting it via ethernet is also fine.

I've googled this and it seems a common enough issue but I have yet to find a solution. Do any of you know what I could do to sort this out?

Thanks very very much :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Here's the strange thing...when I manually switch off and plug out the UPC router (so it's completely off) and then plug it back in and turn it on again, I am not asked for a wifi password at all and everything works as it should...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Had a quick look around for you, seems to be a common issue alright on UEFI systems, which the Win 8 would be.

Haven't seen any solution myself, but can only ask you, have you fully updated the box while connected to ethernet. There may of been a patch released.

Another thing you could try if you haven't already, is delete the saved wifi-network connection and re-add it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Hi Stuxnet,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. What I ended up doing was as you said...going in to the saved wifi connection and deleting it within Network Settings (or whatever the real name is!). Upon setting it back up all worked fine. Did a few reboots and I even upgraded to Mint 17 LTS and it's running great.

What is thr story with UEFI? I didn't realise it was an issue with Win8 stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Nice one, glad you got it sorted :)

Advertisement