Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NX3 problem

• 29-07-2014 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Hi,

To connect to my computers at home I use NX version 3 by NoMachine. It's the free version, it will do me fine.

Now, I have several servers, one is amd64 and one is i386 (32bit).

Both have NX installed (from Nomachine). Both are on the same version:

amd64:

uname -a
    Linux pepper 3.13.0-30-generic #55-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 4 21:40:53 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

dpkg -l | grep -i nx
    ii nxclient 3.5.0-7 amd64 NX Client
    ii nxnode 3.5.0-9 amd64 NX Server Node
    ii nxserver 3.5.0-11 amd64 NX Server

i386:
    uname -a
    Linux ketchup 3.13.0-24-generic #47-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 2 23:31:42 UTC 2014 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

dpkg -l | grep -i nx
    ii nxclient 3.5.0-7 i386 NX Client
    ii nxnode 3.5.0-9 i386 NX Server Node
    ii nxserver 3.5.0-11 i386 NX Server

I have different binaries for i386 and amd64 (of course)

amd64 is working for the last 4 years but I had to reinstall NX for the i386 a couple of months ago and ever since after a month I get this error:

NX> 618 Your evaluation period has expired. Please visit
    NX> 618 the NoMachine Web site at http://www.nomachine.com/
    NX> 618 to acquire a valid subscription.
    NX> 999 Bye.
    NX> 280 Exiting on signal: 15

I don't understand why one version shows up this message and the other does not, anyone an idea?
    If someone knows where the correct .deb packages for i386, version 3, can be downloaded please let me know as nomachine tries to push you onto version 4 but that won't work for me for several reasons.
    I would like to stick with NX 3 as it is faster than vnc and I don't have to tunnel first.

Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Wcool

That's version 4 not 3

If you select Debian from there you will stumble onto this:
    NoMachine NX Free Edition 3 users read here:

The free NoMachine 4 is a new product aimed at a different use case. While NoMachine NX Free Edition 3 offered a free terminal server with virtual desktops created on demand, the free NoMachine 4 is designed to work the same across Windows, Mac and Linux and give users access to the physical desktop of the remote computer. If you need to create virtual desktops on demand, want to limit the logins to SSH, or are using NIS, Kerberos or other enterprise server functionalities, you need one of the NoMachine Enterprise server products you can download here.

Note that you can use NoMachine 4 as a client of an Enterprise server, or you can download the free Enterprise client here.

Unless I misread this, it won't work for my headless server. There seems to be no link at all to the old (and free) binaries of version 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

This support link should be helpful OP, have a read of it: https://www.nomachine.com/AR11D00430

They stopped offering NX3 for free a while back, if you can't get your licence issue sorted you may have to look at the projects mentioned here: https://www.nomachine.com/version-3

Or use NX4 (and I doubt OP wants a desktop on their headless server) and install xfvb on the server with this guide: https://www.nomachine.com/AR10K00710

EDIT: another option would be to use tunnelling with NX4: https://www.nomachine.com/AR10K00728

That first link is extremely interesting, I will follow the steps there.

I tried freenx before but had a bad experience with, it seems to be a clone of nx 3 but badly maintained and not as seemless.

What I liked most about NX 3 was the fact that you don't have to setup any tunneling at all *and* it is faster than VNC.

If the first link won't work, I will try xfvb.

Thanks a lot GreenWolfe

Well I tried purging, removing /usr/NX and reinstalling the whole kitten kaboodle but immediately i get

sudo cat /usr/NX/etc/node.lic | grep 'Expiry'
    Expiry: Thu Aug 28 23:25:05 IST 2014

I think I somehow have the evaluation version, not the free version for i386. I emailed NX but have very little hope they are going to help me as the whole site tries to hide that there ever was a version 3 :)

• Advertisement

LONG LIVE THE INTERWEBS!

The internet will never forget :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭opus

Glad you found it, I had the same problem at work in that version 4 just wouldn't work for us. Luckily I had the v3 RPM's squirreled away and they continue to behave just fine.

Advertisement