Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

I'm speechless. What a freak.

His website's hilarious

My book "The Origin of Specious Nonsense" is unceremoniously unashamedly and unmistakably going to expose the fiction of evolution.

Evolution is a fantasy of farraginous farcical fatuous feculent facile facetiousness and my book shall lead the charge against this UNSCIENTIFIC HOAX worldwide.

The high priests of the highly improbable foisting the impossible on the impressionable

You can't help but smile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

King Mob wrote: »
    Now we'll just have to bear with claims of the great atheist conspiracy that pressured the Minister away.

Well it's a start
    Anti-evolution writer asks science minister to withdraw from book launch

The author of a book that attempts to debunk the evolution theory as a hoax has asked his friend, Science Minister Conor Lenihan TD, not to launch his book, The Origin of Specious Nonsense, in Dublin because of vulgar attacks on the minister.

John May, who is a constituent and a friend of the minister, has said that the minister received attacks by email and phone over his intended attendance at the launch of the book.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/innovation/item/17698-anti-evolution-writer-asks/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm speechless. What a freak.

His website's hilarious

My book "The Origin of Specious Nonsense" is unceremoniously unashamedly and unmistakably going to expose the fiction of evolution.

Evolution is a fantasy of farraginous farcical fatuous feculent facile facetiousness and my book shall lead the charge against this UNSCIENTIFIC HOAX worldwide.

The high priests of the highly improbable foisting the impossible on the impressionable

You can't help but smile!

A thesaurus is useful but that's a little OTT.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

If the book is full of smileys we should all be worried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Nemi

Speaking from Galway earlier last night, Mr Lenihan said while he “remained to be convinced” by Mr May’s arguments, he would be attending the launch in a personal capacity and as he believed “diversity of opinion is a good thing”
    Its real Fianna Fail, isn't it.

I'll be at the launch but, while I'm Minister for Science, it would be wrong to say this means the Minister for Science is at the launch.

While I'm at the launch, I won't be actually launching the book. That's not because I'm Minister for Science. That's because the author changed his mind. The author changed his mind completely independently, and at no time did I phone him to say "For fecks sake, they're killing me over your damn monkey book. You never told me there was going to be a guy dressed as King Kong. You never told me you were a looper. Now uninvite me pronto. Creative differences, whatever."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Just e-mailed Matt Cooper, would be great if he picked up on this nonsense.

Matt would tear that guy to shreds if he had him on, but Ray Darcy just gave him an easy time. every time Ray asked him a question, he shouted a ridiculous non-answer or "Thats not the issue!" when asked about what created us, if evolution didnt.
    ah, hello! that is the issue. and you cant shout at people like that! cop on!
    and this guy is a hypocrite if he just dismisses Dawkins arguments and logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Pushtrak wrote: »
    http://www.theoriginofspeciousnonsense.com/

Someone on my facebook posted this. I went to the site but its a hideous mess and hard to see what is going on there

The originator of this specious nonsense had done himself a disservice in including on his website, a sample of the most hideous mess of all - 20 or so pages of the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DaveMaC

Phwaah, what can you do....? it is said that the electorate gets the politicians it deserves. I hope not.

Mail sent:
    I rarely send emails to ministers, but on this occasion I feel that it was
    necessary to make comment.
    Your recent endorsement of a book attacking the theory of evolution
    (written by a man with no scientific credentials whatsoever) is hardly
    consistent with your duties as minister for science, technology etc.
    I might suggest that supporting anti-science religious propaganda does
    little to develop the 'Smart Economy' in this country. Although I am glad
    that you decided to withdraw from the launch, I think you have already
    generated enough media attention for this work of charlatanism to have
    enhanced the credibility of creationist propaganda in this country and most
    likely damaged your credibility as a minister for science.
    Congratulations

yours sincerely
    etc...

Now Im going into IGNORE mode -no more publicity for this charlatan -have you read his Bio ?-(May, not Lenihan -everyone knows about that gob****e already)
    May sounds like another shyster to me -ooh ah -bit of this, bit that, wink wink, nod nod, trying his hand at selling books on a controversial topic at the moment, who knows what scam he'll be up to next..
    a quote from Mays Biography...
    I am like Abraham Lincoln, self educated, and might be viewed as a polymath, left school young and commenced my real education.
    Oh Dear!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DaveMaC

SarahBM wrote: »
    Matt would tear that guy to shreds if he had him on, but Ray Darcy just gave him an easy time.

That's because Ray Darcy is a Vacuous bimbo who couldnt interview his way out of a brown paper bag.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Speaking to The Irish Times last night, he said Mr Lenihan had agreed to launch the book some weeks ago, but had since requested that his description as Minister for Science be deleted from publicity material about the launch.

Mr May said this had been done “immediately”. He said Mr Lenihan had agreed to launch the book as “I am a friend and a constituent”.
    The poster with the Minister's name and and title is still on the front page of his site.
    But Mr May said last night he had asked Mr Lenihan not to launch the book “because I am so embarrassed that the Minister for Science has been so insulted” and “eviscerated” on a political website.
    I also note we're not getting any credit for our efforts. :pac:

He woulda got away with it - if it wasn't for us pesky kids!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hiding in plain sight Dades...

I noticed John may describes himself as being “spiritual” but, “free from the infection of organised religion”.
    Sounds like he just wants to stick it to the man... EVERY man. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Dades wrote: »
    I also note we're not getting any credit for our efforts. :pac:

He woulda got away with it - if it wasn't for us pesky kids!

LOL did you hear the author on Radio 1 around 7:50 this morning, he was not happy :) and tried to play the part of the victim and poor old Conor launching it as a "friend" not as Minister for Science.

His argument came across as very p!ssed off, agressive and basically the filthy vagrants online wouldnt understand "real science" (he kept emphasising his book as science). No matter what i may have though of him before this interview just turned me off him completely as he is came across as a raving crackpot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Strange slant being taken by Silicon Republic.
    Even though Ireland's Science and Technology Minister Conor Lenihan actually believes in the evolution theory, abusive comments and insults have resulted in him being unable to attend a friend's book launch.

How is he unable to attend? If a government minister can't take the pressure of a bit of stick from a few people on the internet, he should probably look for another line of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

My contributions to this thread...

LG.jpg?t=1284461138

anim_8c105c4b-fc09-3794-914e-2c3f825569db.gif

Bath.jpg?t=1284461234

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Dougla2

this is so rediculous im actually loling might phone minister ( hes still on the bill right?)

anyway im gonna post on the forum of this retards website

Dougla2 wrote: »
    this is so rediculous im actually loling might phone minister ( hes still on the bill right?)

No he backed out after he recieved dozens of emails telling him he's a plonker.

Does anybody know if the Radio 1 bit is online yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

lizard.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Nemi wrote: »
    Hmm. Almost a year ago to the day.
    Ugh, I hate it when politicians use Darwin theory's to justify their right wing politics.

How on earth is Conor Lenihan still a td? I can believe someone who joked about the heinous treatment of the GAMA workers is in a parliamentary position today. It really makes me despair!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It absolutely boggles the mind that Conor Lenihan ever agreed to this farce. Like if a constituent wrote a book claiming the world was actually a giant orange flying towards the Great Juicer, well I think it would be rightly ignored. Being a constituent shouldn't mean you should actually launch the damn book. Makes for some entertaining reading though :D

Galvasean wrote: »

yay i helped make a differance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

Galvasean wrote: »

http://www.rte.ie/news/morningireland//

not working for me

EDIT - fixed

Treading on dangerous ground now in fairness.

You may have to download a windows media player extension (for the online Morning Ireland show).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Collie147 wrote: »
    [...] I'd regard myself as average intelligence [...]
    and significantly lower than average cop-on.

Please edit your posts to remove the libellous content or it will be done for you.

I listened to the Morning Ireland bit:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/morningireland/player.html?20100914,2818582,2818582,real,209

It's just him ranting about how his book is science and Dawkins' book (the greatest Show On Earth) isn't.

Anyone got the Ray Darcy interview? I cant find it on the Today FM site.

yeah i got it now thanks, this guy i a turd plain and simple

A&A beers in Buswells?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Well done everybody! The power of the internet!

• Advertisement

Collie147 wrote: »
    Personal opinion isn't libel as is yours regarding my lower than average cop-on.
    2vae5fr.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement