Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dog/fishing anxiety issues

• 16-11-2010 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello all,

First post here so be gentle ;-)

I have a terrier x around two and a half, usual terrier characteristics lots of energy and lovely fella. Has to stay at home alone about three days of the week and doesn’t like to too much but just seems to snooze. Pure country dog, loves being in the woods and the beach, I get him out properly off-leash as much as I can (2-3 times pw) and he is walked on-lead 1-2 times per day, every day.

So I have a specific problem that I am looking for insight into solving.

I enjoy fishing, and take him with me as it is a chance to get out in the fresh air for both of us. However he is _obsessed_ with the action of fishing, ie me casting and retrieving a lure, and becomes quite worked up as a session progresses – anxious, barking, whining constantly, tearing up and down the bank – he gets himself into quite a heightened state of anxiety because in his mind, I am throwing an object for him to retrieve (he’s very prey-driven and loves to chase balls/sticks/cats/ducks, in water and on land).

He gets himself so worked up he is unbearable to be while fishing, and last time I had to take him back to the car and lock him in before I could do anything, as he was seriously disturbing me, the fish, another angler and his own mental equilibrium.

No amount of corrections seem to make him ‘come down’ from this state and it seems to be getting worse. It’s come to the point where I am wondering if I can take him any more, but that would break his heart (he freaks out with excitement when he sees the fishing gear coming out of the shed) and would also curtail my fishing time, as bringing him with me is a good way of killing two birds with the one stone (both of us getting fresh air and ‘me time’ – have a toddler at home so life is hectic).

I am looking for pratical tips from experienced dog trainers on how to deal with this obsessive state and how to keep him calm on the shore. He wasn’t so bad when I started and would mooch off to explore for himself but he’s just gone nuts lately.

He’s not very food-driven, training wise and is quite headstrong.

I fear the only option may be to leave him at home or in the car, as we now both come home more stressed than when we left, which defeats the purpose – but I’m just wondering if this nuclear option can be avoided in any way.

Otherwise neither of us will be happy bunnies.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I think you should probably engage the aid of a professional dog trainer - free tips online will not show you the body language etc necessary to train your dog out of this behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

If the constant casting of lures is working him into a frenzy, how about changing tactics and using a couple of rods with static deadbaits?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rockyb23

Lure time nearly over so soon enough will be ground fishing till spring, will see how we get on with that.

I can't really afford a pro... times is hard, etc etc, and the childers need shoes. That's another nuclear option and I well might consider talking to a trainer.

Advertisement