Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Massive Increase in Spam with Gmail

• 01-06-2009 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing a massive increase in the amount of spam they're getting to their Gmail account? Mine's gone from 1or 2 a week to 5-6 new ones every time I check my mail :( !

Is it just me or is this a more general problem?

P.S. Their "Report Spam" button seems to do sweet f**k all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Nope, getting none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I haven't noticed any increase but I did see an increase was noted on the front page of reddit.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

There's been a huge increase in the amount of spam that's being sent recently - up to 340 billion mails per day. http://www.senderbase.org/home/detail_spam_volume

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

OP... have you been browsing different websites recently - this could account for your extra spam (stop browsing them *ahem* sites )

do you have your smapfilter turned on in your Gmail - if you do then - it only takes a click to just delete all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

None here, but I got an email just for spam, I use it for web pages/forums etc when registering and just use my gmail for friends/family etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

PCPhoto wrote: »
    OP... have you been browsing different websites recently - this could account for your extra spam (stop browsing them *ahem* sites )

Nope. I don't ever give out my address. Everything I have to register for I use my spamgourmet address (great service for anyone that doesn't know of it. Would recommend it to everyone).

I think part of my problem is my address itself. It's just my first initial followed by my last name @gmail.com. I'm always getting emails meant for other people Idiots who can't write their own email address correctly :mad:. Some of the classic mails I've gotten include; requests for airport pickups, family updates (inc new baby pics), monthly Golden Pages receipts, Victoria Secrets order status updates and the full blue prints for a building :D

Guess I'm just going to have to live with the spam :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

feylya wrote: »
    There's been a huge increase in the amount of spam that's being sent recently - up to 340 billion mails per day. http://www.senderbase.org/home/detail_spam_volume

That's mad.. up 128% today.

I won the African lottery today but apart from that the spam filter seems to be catching them.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Forgot to say, thanks for the replies guys. I was starting to think all the spam was personal :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I think part of my problem is my address itself. It's just my first initial followed by my last name @gmail.com.

*.******@gmail.com, I have the same. Compared to my longer version, it gets thousands, as opposed to one or two every few weeks!

Never used online too. Maybe scripts sending out stuff have the single letter emails at the start, also easier to script for them?

Seen a rise in the European lotto spam, 'you've won by being chosen at random, please fill in your details..'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

and i thought my dealings with some nice folk in Nigeria was all above board??!! Better cancel that bank transfer then!!

On topic- no real increase in spam. I use yahoo, and i find their spam filter works perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Have noticed one or two slipping into the inbox lately but nothing major (pulling mail from four other accounts as well).

Plenty AIB phising attempts but report them through Firefox straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

just checked the spam folder and yes there is a lot more than usual. thank fully its all getting caught so i dont care.

it usually hovers around the 500 mark but its over 1000 now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I've noticed a LOT more in the last weeks or two. Doing my farking head in. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

I thought it was just me.

Usually the spam filter catches almost all spam emails but for the past 2 days I've been getting loads in my inbox for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Khannie wrote: »
    I've noticed a LOT more in the last weeks or two. Doing my farking head in. :/

ditto :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

hmm, it's fine for me. None have gotten through in months. I'm picking them up with Thunderbird too, so don't even notice if any get caught in the spam folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

In past days there has been a slight increase. It all enters the Spam box though!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Frankieboy

Yes, normally have, well none, but recently (last 2weeks) have been getting on average 2-3 day. Seems to be dying again.

Was really surprised because as I have said, don't normally get any.

Advertisement