Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How does and athiest say 'hello' in Irish?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

mikhail wrote: »
    Close enough. "Cad é mar a tá tú?" is the Irish equivalent.

'Conas atá tú?' Isn't it?

(Look at me with my Irish, if only Mrs. Dennehy could see me now).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

sdun wrote: »
    "Dia dhuit" for athesists...uhm, how about, "Ni raibh Dia dhuit" ? :)

If someone said "Ní raibh Dia dhuit" to me, I'd be slightly scared. Something very sinister about the past tense being used! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Halò? Ciamar a tha thu/sibh?

Actually, that's scots because I don't speak irish... :o

is it not scots gaelic rather than scots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Ooooh, I'm not getting into the whole language/dialect argument...that rages in crofts all across the highlands & islands. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

What do a-Thorists call Thursday? Must be proper inconvenient to have to ensure you're using secular words and phrases all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

This is pointless. If you want to eliminate any trace of religion from language you will have a long way to go. The English "Goodbye" is a shortening of "God be with you". Will you stop saying that as well?

Everything we say is peppered with religious references, but the fact that we use them doesn't make us religious.

THIS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

cad e an sceal capall?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Conas atá m'fhear gorm?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Helloail.

Well adding -ail or -atha and reversing the words got me through secondary school Irish. I even memorised an essay I wrote about the red hand defenders breaking into my family home at christmas and stealing a skud missile. I spelt SKUD "scudatha", with a fada I think, and my teacher put a tick beside it :D

I wrote that essay repeatedly before my LC and then twisted the one in the exam into it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Conas 'tá agat/agaibh is a common one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

strobe wrote: »
    'Conas atá tú?' Isn't it?

(Look at me with my Irish, if only Mrs. Dennehy could see me now).
    Conas atá tú? is the Connacht way of saying it. Conas being a contraction of Cá ionnas = Which manner = How, so Conas atá tú means:
    How which you are?

Cad é mar atá tú, is Munster, literally meaning: What (is it) as which you are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Enkidu wrote: »
    Conas atá tú? is the Connacht way of saying it. Conas being a contraction of Cá ionnas = Which manner = How, so Conas atá tú means:
    How which you are?

Cad é mar atá tú, is Munster, literally meaning: What (is it) as which you are?

Eh no, you're completely wrong there ted.

Conas atá tú/Conas tánn tú/Conas taoi = Munster.
    Cén chaoi (a) bhfuil tú = Connacht.
    Cad é mar atá tú = Ulster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

dlofnep wrote: »
    Eh no, you're completely wrong there ted.

Conas atá tú/Conas tánn tú/Conas taoi = Munster.
    Cén chaoi (a) bhfuil tú = Connacht.
    Cad é mar atá tú = Ulster.

How do people find these threads???????:P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Well it's obvious atheists dont have this problem as they dont actually speak irish.

Hopefully no lying went on the Census form though, we wouldnt want false representation and all that jazz. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

"Conas taoi?"

Simple. I say it anyway and so does anyone I seem to end up speaking Irish to; "Dia dhuit" is way more formal and thus rarely used. Nothing even remotely atheist\religious about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Well it's obvious atheists dont have this problem as they dont actually speak irish.

What on earth are you on about? I'm an atheist, and I speak Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

I just go with "O hai."

It's international.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Haigh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

This really should be moved to After Hours. There are a few regulars over there who would be very disappointed to miss another chance at knocking Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

If i ever have a son I'll definetely give him an irish name.

I was thinking 'Timpiste'

Second name Úfasach

He'll probably be mates with Sneachta and Cabáiste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Lá mhaith / maidin mhaith etc - good day / good morning etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

dlofnep wrote: »
    "Haigh" or "Bhuel" work just fine.
    'Árd', no 'tobar'

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Lá mhaith / maidin mhaith etc - good day / good morning etc
    Reminds me of the "lá breá"s as the original influx of those seeking to learn Irish in the Gaeltacht were known.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Panrich wrote: »
    This really should be moved to After Hours. There are a few regulars over there who would be very disappointed to miss another chance at knocking Irish.

I post here as an Atheist so allow me the honour. Language is a way of communicating ideas and information and allows us to share such so that we don't each have to invent the wheel. Irish served this purpose for a long time but is now little more than a novel skill for people to learn. Very few rely on it as their sole language so it's usefulness is questionable. It's current situation is that it is something that some patriotic people enjoy learning or would like to learn had the school system not crushed their enjoyment of it. Then there are others like myself who aren't very patriotic (it's rationality is a whole other subject) and can get angry with the multitude of wasted hours we were forced to try and learn a novel skill we had no desire to learn. The reason Irish gets a bashing is sometimes it's hard to separate the subject from the institution that forced it on you. Force people to learn something they later find useless and you get resentment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

mikhail wrote: »
    How does an atheist say goodbye in English? Does he act like an idiot, or accept that it lost the meaning of God be with ye centuries ago?

I'm sure an idiot knows how to say goodbye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I usually just squeal incoherently as both hello and goodbye. Problem solved, in any language.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Dave147 wrote: »
    I'm sure an idiot knows how to say goodbye.

They may know how but they never know when.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Liam1000

Thanks for reviving my thread and your interesting replies guys!

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

I'm an atheist and an Irish speaker but when I catch my finger in the door I say: "JESUS CHRIST".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If you want you could practice once everyday where you get your fingers caught in the door and you keep the practice up until you learn to stop saying "Jesus Christ". That's if you want to of course. . .

Advertisement