Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexual assault...but sure he's a nice lad..Mod Warning Post 275

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

proposal

you know the was Kerry people love to rename towns. eg the Dingle fiasco

well I propose that Listowel be renamed as

Mysogynia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭_michelle_

Frogdog wrote: »
    Well if she worded it as nicely as you do I'd have no problem! :D

But there is a community spirit in cities also. I live in Dublin and I've experienced it. And also, take for example if the man was part of a rugby club in South Dublin. I've seen those guys protect their own before. And that's just one example. I'm sure it's prevalent in a lot of clubs/societies/schools/colleges/religous beliefs etc in cities.

If anything, _michelle_ was showing her ignorance. In my opinion, of course.
    how exactly am i showing my ignorance????
    i gave an opinion which im entitled to & as i said in previous posts you to yours, however you were saying i said things i didnt which isnt fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

He is obviously a popular fellow in this small rural town. Im guessing it would be a bit like JFK Junior in NYC being accused of sexual assault, especially against some unknown etc. So beloved is he, that any crime would be forgiven.

Believing is seeing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

shaneybaby wrote: »

He said: “My Christian responsibility was to this person that I knew and to the person who is the object of, what I call, this extremely harsh sentence.”
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/1217/breaking27.htm

"'Representative of Catholic Church ignores facts' shocker!"

I've always seen the Adam and Eve, creationism, earth is 12,000 years old stories as harmless. Unfortunately the scientific blindness in this case has done irreparable damage to a young woman in Listowel. I can't believe a priest would ignore the facts just because he knew the guilty person in question :eek:

As another poster put it, there is no other possible reason for a bouncer to carry a half naked woman to a skip. No reason for anyone to do it, unless something unlawful had taken place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

interesting to hear the Listowel people on the radio now saying that this should not be held against them and that people should not boycott the listowel races.

so their worried about the town but not a mention of the girl:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Well here's hoping there's such a thing as karma and he'll get a taste of his own medicine in prison!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

AntiRip wrote: »
    I know Danny very well and I know the victim also. If you lived in the area you'd know the full story that isn't been in the media. I am very shocked and upset with this story. It's very sad when you know the people involved.
    Thankfully in this country we have trial by court of law and not trial by media or the local priest.

If there were any other prejudicial facts then they would have been made known to the court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Vegeta wrote: »

Ahh so this is the second time this sort of thing has happened in the area.
    Lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Well here's hoping there's such a thing as karma and he'll get a taste of his own medicine in prison!

I think he's a sh1t no doubt about it and deserves to go to jail, but I'm so uncomfortable with this thing of wishing rape on men in prison as some kind of fair punishment. Rape & sexual assault aren't funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bookworm007

Kimia wrote: »
    Hmmm why is no one commenting on this?

So you clearly think Danny Foley (poor thing :rolleyes:) should have gotten a lighter sentence?

I am only stating the facts.
    Sorry if they don't suit you-I think chemical castration for a conviction of sexual assault (with no clinical evidence of sexual assault) is a bit excessive myself.

(Think you probably need to work on your mind reading skills)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭oceanclub

AntiRip wrote: »
    I know Danny very well and I know the victim also. If you lived in the area you'd know the full story that isn't been in the media. I am very shocked and upset with this story. It's very sad when you know the people involved.

I'm sure you're brave enough to tell us and not cowardly enough to hide behind innuendo against a sex victim.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Knightfall wrote: »

As regards the priest getting involved, and for that matter, coming on radio today to defend himself..........he's not a man of God, he's just another leech on that society
    If ever a term of reference was abused more than any other it's that one .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I am only stating the facts.
    Sorry if they don't suit you-I think chemical castration for a conviction of sexual assault (with no clinical evidence of sexual assault) is a bit excessive myself.

(Think you probably need to work on your mind reading skills)

The reason I asked you what you meant was because I can't read minds but thanks for the sarcasm, it added a lot to the thread.

What are you on about and why bother stating the facts - sure they are they for all of us to read, no need for you to point them out in a clearly biased manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

dloob wrote: »
    Lovely.

I half expected to read that the same priest vouched for the first offender's character too...

The Listowel priest and the Duagh rapist have the same surname though, I do hope it's just a coincidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.kerryseye.com/listowel_bouncer_jailed_for.html
    A judge this week described as a “web of lies” the evidence given by a Listowel man charged with sexual assault on a woman in the town last year, before sentencing him to seven years in prison for the offence. Two years of the seven-year sentence were suspended.

There were extraordinary scenes in Tralee courthouse at the sentencing of Danny Foley, Meen, Listowel, on Wednesday, after he had been found guilty by a jury of sexual assault on a female on June 15th last year.

Mr Foley hung his head and wiped a tear from his eye as he heard his sentence and was told he is also to be placed on the sexual assault register for life.

Mr Foley’s mother, who was in the public gallery, screamed hysterically when the sentence was announced, and relatives rushed around her in support.

Judge Donagh McDonagh ordered that anyone who commented on the sentence should leave the court, and the woman was assisted out of the courtroom.

Before the judge passed the sentence on Wednesday morning, approximately fifty supporters filed up, one-by-one to the dock, where Mr Foley sat between two prison wardens.

They shook his hand, hugged him, and many were crying. They all sat in the gallery as As he delivered his sentence, Judge Donagh McDonagh referred to what he described as Mr Foley’s “revolting assertions” and “odious language” used regarding his victim.

The judge said that his claims that he engaged in a mutual sexual act with the victim were designed to “add insult to injury”, and to demean and degrade the woman.

He said that Mr Foley’s behaviour “certainly gave lie” to statements from two character witnesses.

Listowel businessman Dermot O’Mahony had said Mr Foley was “inoffensive, courteous and calm” in his dealings with others. Fr Sean Sheehy, the Parish Priest of Castlegregory, said Mr Foley had the highest regard for women and didn’t have an abusive bone in his body.

Judge McDonagh described Mr Foley’s evidence as “self-serving” and referred to his “spinning his web of lies”. “It is quite clear the jury didn’t accept his evidence,” said Judge McDonagh.

“Not alone the lies he told were revolting but the language used by him in describing his victim and referring to her as ‘your wan’ when he knew well who she was, was equally so.

“He embarked on a further series of lies to gardai that is simply not credible as he later admitted he told lies. There is something particularly odious about his allegations against the victim and it seem the accused wished to add insult to injury he humiliated her and demeaned her in the eyes of the jury and public.’

Foley gave graphic description to the jury about what he claimed were consensual sexual acts.

Judge McDonagh said it was evident from the demeanour of the victim and her inability to recall all events clearly that what happened was not consensual.

“No reasonable man could believe a girl or woman in a condition like this could reasonably consent to a sexual encounter of any kind,” he said.

“From the medical evidence it was clear that she suffered extensive bruising, and numerous scratches consistent with being dragged.”

Judge McDonagh said that the woman, who gave a victim impact report and spoke of her trauma since the assault, showed remarkable dignity in the circumstances.

Statement

The victim’s two-page statement said that for a long time after the incident she didn’t trust men and couldn’t bear to be in the same room as them.

She said she felt insecure, lost her confidence and was very uncomfortable. She was on anti depressants and couldn’t sleep at night due to the nightmares.

She was unable to have a bath on her own and has to call her sister for help. She said she still feels restricted in her life and fells people are talking about her.

Judge McDonagh concluded that the man showed little remorse and had not apologised “There is no doubt he intended to commit this assault,” he said.

The jury during the three day trial had heard that both met in a local nightclub. The woman had a number of drinks and when he bought her a Black Russian shot, she felt sick and wanted to go home.

Mr Foley accompanied her and after initially walking a distance he carried her towards the rear of a car park, where gardai later found him leaning over her.

She was half-naked and semi-conscious, and was removed to hospital in a very distressed state.

Foley initially said he had come across her as he relieved himself, but later told gardai he had lied, and claimed they had been together consensually. There was no clinical evidence of sexual assault.

What are you on about and why bother stating the facts - sure they are they for all of us to read, no need for you to point them out in a clearly biased manner.[/quote]

I am stating the facts so people are aware that it wasn't rape. There was no rape conviction and there was no clinical evidence of sexual assault. Would you care to elaborate on my "clearly biased manner"?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

dloob wrote: »
    Lovely.

Yeah it baffles me how that is considered acceptable behaviour. Actually it doesn't I see something similar happen in my own life.

Makes me angry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I am stating the facts so people are aware that it wasn't rape. There was no rape conviction and there was no clinical evidence of sexual assault. Would you care to elaborate on my "clearly biased manner"?

So we're been led to believe that in a county which has an abysmally low conviction for sexual assault, the lowest in the country(*) that somehow one of the few that happens is a miscarriage of justice?

(*) To put that in perspective, in 2006, out of 336 people counselled for rape, 95 went to the Gardai, and there were precisely four convictions.

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2006/08/31/story12117.asp

P.

I am stating the facts so people are aware that it wasn't rape.

This has been pointed out repeatedly in this thread, also by the mods.

oceanclub wrote: »
    So we're been led to believe that in a county which has an abysmally low conviction for sexual assault, the lowest in the country(*) that somehow one of the few that happens is a miscarriage of justice?

(*) To put that in perspective, in 2006, out of 336 people counselled for rape, 95 went to the Gardai, and there were precisely four convictions.

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2006/08/31/story12117.asp

P.

And on with the rape discussion......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

What point are you trying to make here Bookworm?

It's already been clarified that it wasn't rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

fair play for her for going through with it, he should be shot,

in the report it said that most of the people out side the court house were "middle age men", bunch of pervs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

And on with the rape discussion......

We know it wasn't rape. It's been clarified again and again. We have edited posts to remove statements of rape.

If you have an issue with a post, report it and let the mods deal with it. Thank you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The next one describing this as rape gets a ban.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Just to ensure we're still on topic:
    Gardai on patrol, found a bruised semi conscious woman,behind a skip, semi naked from the waste down, with the guy on top of her. He said he found her, while he was relieving himself, CCTV showed him carrying her to the spot.
    The the judged stated that his evidence and language set out to publicly demean the victim.

"Yesterday handing down sentence Judge McDonagh said Foley had told lie after lie and sentenced him to seven years, suspending the final two and ordering he be placed on the sex offenders' register for life."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 NameMe

why all the furore here?

Shouldn't we be satisfied that the scumbag got convicted when so few sexual assault or rape cases go the distance

I think a lot of people are displaying their snobbery towards rural communities here rather than looking at the bigger picture which is that justice was done and this thug, no matter how popular he was in his town, was put away. Justice was served - we should be satisfied about that.

And if local businessmen and parish priests and bigwigs in the town want to shake his hand and say he is a nice guy, then let them, that is their right, they know the guy, we do not. However it does expose them as being friends or supportive of a sex offender. If they can live with that, so be it. Let's not tar all small towns in ireland or all the people of Listowel as being somehow complicit in this act. Get over your small town prejudices - THAT IS NOT THE ISSUE HERE, the larger issue to my mind is the social stigma attached to reporting sex crimes and the appalingly low rates of conviction for these crimes IN CITY AND COUNTRY.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Just to ensure we're still on topic:
    Gardai on patrol, found a bruised semi conscious woman,behind a skip, semi naked from the waste down, with the guy on top of her. He said he found her, while he was relieving himself, CCTV showed him carrying her to the spot.
    The the judged stated that his evidence and language set out to publicly demean the victim.

"Yesterday handing down sentence Judge McDonagh said Foley had told lie after lie and sentenced him to seven years, suspending the final two and ordering he be placed on the sex offenders' register for life."

Didn't he also have his penis in his hand?

NameMe wrote: »
    Shouldn't we be satisfied that the scumbag got convicted when so few sexual assault or rape cases go the distance

And if local businessmen and parish priests and bigwigs in the town want to shake his hand and say he is a nice guy, then let them, that is their right, they know the guy, we do not.

All very true but the flip side of the coin is that the victim is shunned or denied service. It's the same people and the same attitude - they not only shake his hand and cry for him, but also humiliate and isolate her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

herya wrote: »
    All very true but the flip side of the coin is that the victim is shunned or denied service. It's the same people and the same attitude - they not only shake his hand and cry for him, but also humiliate and isolate her.

+1
    It's difficult enough to bring an assault case through to trial. Imagine if someone else is assaulted in Listowel, after seeing what's happened in this case, do you think they'd go to the gardai about it let alone see it through to a trial?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭Raiser

Wibbs wrote: »
    The next one describing this as rape gets a ban.

Folks this individual was convicted of sexual assault - To incorrectly state that he committed a rape could potentially leave this site open to a legal action.

- However if a Man is captured on CCTV carrying a Woman, who was reportedly to some degree incapacitated by alcohol, to a secluded area and at some point later in time was found hunched over her semi-conscious, semi-clothed body which was was described in Court as being covered in extensive scratches and bruises with his penis in his hand...... Then People you are entitled to make your own personal judgements and arrive to your own probable conclusions as to what may indeed have taken place had he not by chance been interrupted that night......

Advertisement