Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

The Tipperary Senior Hurling management team have announced that Brendan Maher (Borris-Ileigh) will remain as Captain for the 2015 season. Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields) has been confirmed as the team vice-captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Happy with those two lads. Brendan should be more comfortable with the role this year with the experience he gained last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Paddico

Senior footballers in action as well this weekend.
    Repeat of last years fixture vs Cork

http://munster.gaa.ie/2015/01/05/mcgrath-cup-quarter-final-tipperary-v-cork/

Question for ye Tipp folk, will EOS persist with James Barry at full back for 2015? He didn't look that comfortable in there to me. More of a wing back for sure.

Nah I think no 3 is up for grabs. Paul Curran staying on this year so even he won't rule himself out. John Meagher or Michael Breen may well stake a claim should they stay fit

• Advertisement

Paddico wrote: »
    Senior footballers in action as well this weekend.
    Repeat of last years fixture vs Cork

http://munster.gaa.ie/2015/01/05/mcgrath-cup-quarter-final-tipperary-v-cork/

Would be a good game to watch if I wasn't working Sunday :(

With a it more experience there - there is no reason why Barry can't improve at 3 - he's one cool customer - worth a place in the team

Hamill would want to start staking a claim for some time on the pitch - needs to fill out though

Shouldn't forget about O'Mahony either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I hope that Mikey Heffernan gets a chance this year. He's amazing for Nenagh Éire Óg but with the competition for places on the panel I just don't know.

Same with Paddy Murphy. His nerves used to be his problem but on his day he's a fúckin tank. I suppose it just comes down to who impresses more in training.

Obviously my bias towards Nenagh Èire Óg might have my views skewed somewhat but those two lads are marvellous hurlers and I can see Ó Shea giving them a chance to impress. Of course if they don't make the cut then fair enough, obviously there were better players that shone. Fair is fair...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

GerB40 wrote: »
    I hope that Mikey Heffernan gets a chance this year. He's amazing for Nenagh Éire Óg but with the competition for places on the panel I just don't know.

Same with Paddy Murphy. His nerves used to be his problem but on his day he's a fúckin tank. I suppose it just comes down to who impresses more in training.

Obviously my bias towards Nenagh Èire Óg might have my views skewed somewhat but those two lads are marvellous hurlers and I can see Ó Shea giving them a chance to impress. Of course if they don't make the cut then fair enough, obviously there were better players that shone. Fair is fair...
    I would have Paddy involved more than Mikey but both deserve to be looked at for squad places. Paddy is more than a tank. Fabulous athlete. He got a raw deal from a lot of supporters on previous performances with the senior team some of which went very personal and I think he is more than up to this level.

I would have Paddy involved more than Mikey but both deserve to be looked at for squad places. Paddy is more than a tank. Fabulous athlete. He got a raw deal from a lot of supporters on previous performances with the senior team some of which went very personal and I think he is more than up to this level.

My own personal opinion is that he isnt good enough for senior county level. I seen absolutely nothing to suggest otherwise. Well and good tearing it up for Nenagh in the club championship but this is a whole new level. Perhaps he will be a 'late developer' but at 25 i really cant see much more room for improvement. Id hardly think that either the Kilkenny defence or any other defence would be too apprehensive about the prospects of marking him. Puts in great effort but your hardly talking about a lad who can get you 3+ points per game. He got many goes in the league and id say 2 was a stretch. No disrespect to the guy but he just doesnt bring enough to the table for me.

Denis Maher who genuinely offered more can feel alot more disgruntled then Murphy for his own exclusion last year. He can win his own ball and take on backs. How is was dropped and marginalised in the manner which he was was absolultely astounding last year. Totally undeserved.

Mikey Heffernan is a very stylish hurler but is perhaps like many others we have a bit 'too nice' to make the step up.

• Advertisement

My own personal opinion is that he isnt good enough for senior county level. I seen absolutely nothing to suggest otherwise. Well and good tearing it up for Nenagh in the club championship but this is a whole new level. Perhaps he will be a 'late developer' but at 25 i really cant see much more room for improvement. Id hardly think that either the Kilkenny defence or any other defence would be too apprehensive about the prospects of marking him. Puts in great effort but your hardly talking about a lad who can get you 3+ points per game. He got many goes in the league and id say 2 was a stretch. No disrespect to the guy but he just doesnt bring enough to the table for me.

Denis Maher who genuinely offered more can feel alot more disgruntled then Murphy for his own exclusion last year. He can win his own ball and take on backs. How is was dropped and marginalised in the manner which he was was absolultely astounding last year. Totally undeserved.

Mikey Heffernan is a very stylish hurler but is perhaps like many others we have a bit 'too nice' to make the step up.
    Why did you highlight part of my post and not discuss what you highlighted.

That's fair enough that you have that view but I would disagree. That he (in your words) is "tearing it up" in the club championship shows he should be looked at at the next level. Perhaps he isn't but consecutive county coaches think otherwise on PM.

Why did you highlight part of my post and not discuss what you highlighted.

That's fair enough that you have that view but I would disagree. That he (in your words) is "tearing it up" in the club championship shows he should be looked at at the next level. Perhaps he isn't but consecutive county coaches think otherwise on PM.

Its just that i sort of fail to see where you think people were being personal with him. i did compare him to a soccer counterpart Yaya Sanogo last year in that he is a game lad but but lacks the technical ability for the high standards set around him.

Its just that i sort of fail to see where you think people were being personal with him. i did compare him to a soccer counterpart Yaya Sanogo last year in that he is a game lad but but lacks the technical ability for the high standards set around him.
    Well im going on the testimony of his parents and friends who were in the stands and had people beside them give him such abuse and I will take their word on it as the truth as I doubt they would make up something like that
    He doesn't lack the technical ability. I played against him through the age groups and he didn't lack the technical ability. Coaches at all the age groups up from u14 and up to senior don't think so either so I highly doubt he lacks the technical ability.

Well im going on the testimony of his parents and friends who were in the stands and had people beside them give him such abuse and I will take their word on it as the truth as I doubt they would make up something like that
    He doesn't lack the technical ability. I played against him through the age groups and he didn't lack the technical ability. Coaches at all the age groups up from u14 and up to senior don't think so either so I highly doubt he lacks the technical ability.

At Senior intercounty he doesnt seem to be up to speed. Maybe when he has the room he has the technical ability but at the very highest level he lacks something.

Its not right that his parents etc had to endure listening to that nonsense to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

two hurling matches in the one weekend spolit we are tank fook its starting again darts over bring on the hurling

The Tipperary SH team to play Mary I tonight at 7.30pm in Dr Morris Park is Darragh Egan, Joe O Dwyer, Paul Curran, Conor O Brien, Shane McGrath, Thomas Stapelton, Paudraic Maher, Kieran Bergin, Gearoid Ryan, Denis Maher, Liam Treacy, Bonner Maher, Shane Bourke, Seamus Callanan, David Butler.

Waterford Crystal Cup SH Preliminary Round Result - Tipperary 4-15 Mary Immaculate College 1-16

Waterford Crystal Cup SH Preliminary Round Result - Tipperary 4-15 Mary Immaculate College 1-16

In truth most of these games at this time of year are warmups and its hard to really gauge how much of an impact some of the lads will make when it comes down to the crunch. Also the weather is rough out.

If its rough enough to be playing rugby tonight then I don't know what to say about hurling. Doubt much would have been learned playing in such crappy conditions

With a it more experience there - there is no reason why Barry can't improve at 3 - he's one cool customer - worth a place in the team

Hamill would want to start staking a claim for some time on the pitch - needs to fill out though

Shouldn't forget about O'Mahony either

We have a luxury of players to pick from at the backs. Competition is ferocious. If only the forwards were the same. Mouse could be a one to watch

• Advertisement

If its rough enough to be playing rugby tonight then I don't know what to say about hurling. Doubt much would have been learned playing in such crappy conditions

Its the beginning of the road back to training really. I'd agree that games are brilliant to bring lads on but all Ireland's are not won on a cold Friday night in January.

They are if you can find a few players with stones and belief - this time of year over the next few months is when you have to find them - otherwise all the heroes will be out saying how come we're nearly relegated in the league - league is tough enough - can't be experimenting too much

the conditions are what they are - if someone can put their hand up and say I want this - all well and good

cheers for the score lad lost track of the score half way through the second half god the ref loved the whistle tonight he must have thought he was at a rave or something haha who got tipps last goal do you know?

cheers kid:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Nice to see Seamie getting a big score again,carrying on where he left off.

tippspur wrote: »
    Nice to see Seamie getting a big score again,carrying on where he left off.

Niall O'Meara got 1-1 which is great to see. I think he will be a big player for us in future somehow. He is tenacious, quick and actually quite skilful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Anybody got the Tipp team to play Cork tomorrow?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Xenophile wrote: »
    Anybody got the Tipp team to play Cork tomorrow?

Not been named yet , something Creedon does all the time , announces the team late or else names the team and on the day it will have 2-3 changes from what he originally called . Can`t see it being much different from what we are used to , only Evan Comerford and Seamus Kennedy added to the panel and John Coughlan stepping down .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Moyorris

Harty Cup Q-F – Thurles CBS 2-8 Gaelcolaiste Mhuire AG 1-10
    Thurles CBS defeated Gaelcolaiste Mhuire AG by 2-8 to 1-10 in the first of the Munster GAA Post Primary Schools Dr. Harty Cup Quarter-Finals on Friday January 9th at Kilmallock.
    First half goals by Jack Butler and Billy McCarthy helped Thurles to a 2-4 to 0-7 interval lead when playing against a gale force windd. However, the second half was a different affair as a wasteful Thurles went 21 minutes without scoring while racking up a total of 20 wides. Gaelcolaiste Mhuire AG defended heroically in the second half and had a couple of chances to send the game to extra time but Thurles held out for a one point victory. After the final whistle, Thurles wing-back Ronan Heffernan received a straight red card and will miss the semi-final.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement