Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help finding a new laptop

• 14-12-2014 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hello folks,

perhaps someone here would be willing to help me spec a new laptop? After 7 years my current machine is about ready for retirement.

What I need is a one that will do the basics well. It will be used for the MS packages, maybe some (very) light CAD work, and browsing/researching. Also very important is that it is portable/light, so that I can take it out on a train/bus and read things or work if needed without it being too clunky.

Speed is also an advantage in terms of startup time, nice to press the on button and have it a few seconds later.

Battery life is also going to be something I look for, my current battery will last a good 30 seconds unplugged :D

In terms of screen size - my current one is 15.4", I could stick with that but would be willing to go a bit larger as long as it didn't interfere with the portability bit since I do also use it for watching series.

There might be some very light gaming done on it, nothing too hectic or draining like FPSs but some things like Rome I'd like to give a try.

I'll most likely be buying after Christmas to maybe take advantage of some offers or sales. I also don't mind buying online or from hardwearversand since I'm already in Germany.

My budget is €500 stretching to €550.

I do have a bit of a soft spot for Asus as it's what I currently have and has been a serious workhorse. I was also looking at some recently in a shop and they're making some very nice looking machines.

Anyway, that's it. All recommendations of spec or actual computers will be gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭MagicHumanDoll

How's it going, had same budget/needs a few years ago and bought an Acer Aspire 5742, fantastic machine but a bit heavy.
    What I'd be looking for in order to satisfy your needs (tbh easy enough) but also give it a good lifespan would be (in order of importance);
    - AT LEAST 6gb of ram, simple.. More ram, faster/less likely it will age quickly. Ram can always be upgraded and is cheap, but try get one with decent ram.
    - An i5 Intel Core processor or higher. Again, it's one of the key components of a computer, so look for that.
    - Good graphics card. A dedicated one might be out of your price range, but certainly try get one if at all possible. It'd handle CAD/Gaming like a dream.
    - Harddrive space, not very important with cloud storage and what not. Have 500gb and never come close to filling it.
    - As for battery, a mAh rating on a battery is what you look for. The bigger the battery (ie the bigger number before mAh) the better battery life.
    Any other questions if you browse online or whatever I'd be happy to help!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm going to plug this laptop again, as its still great value. FYI I play Rome II on high settings at around 35fps on this, higher on lower settings.

Processor is ULV but performs well matched against other machines. Only drawback is 4GB ram, it has 1 spare slot so you can upgrade if needs be. It also comes with a 1080p screen which is completely unprecedented for that price for laptops. GT 840m is no slouch at 1080p :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

I'm going to plug this laptop again, as its still great value. FYI I play Rome II on high settings at around 35fps on this, higher on lower settings.

Processor is ULV but performs well matched against other machines. Only drawback is 4GB ram, it has 1 spare slot so you can upgrade if needs be. It also comes with a 1080p screen which is completely unprecedented for that price for laptops. GT 840m is no slouch at 1080p :)

I notice this also comes with an 8GB SSD.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll see what happens over the next few weeks and in the new year.

Advertisement