Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RAM upgrade Sony VAIO VPCEB1E0E

• 25-05-2013 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭

I've had this laptop for nearly three years now, and really wanna try stretch its life a little longer.

Have about 100gb of memory on the laptop at the moment after a clean but its still painfully slow when doing two things at once (playing fm2013 and browsing). This used to be fine, but lately its really slow.

I've been looking at the max supported RAM and it appears to be 8gb. Which is exciting as I'm currently working with 3gb.

I'm on crucial looking at the 8GB Kit (4GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 memory module. Is this overkill? or will it really give me a lot more performance?
    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=6B6C6468A5CA7304

Opinion and pricing help really appreciated. Would prefer to buy local, but will do it online if needs be.

If you need more info hollah! And again thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Don't forget you'll need a 64bit OS to see 8GB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Don't forget you'll need a 64bit OS to see 8GB

Yeah im running Windows 7 64 bit. Came as standard

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cudders

Sorry for digging up an old thread...

Just wondering did you ever upgrade the Ram? Did you see a big difference?

I have this laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate with 3GB Ram & i3 Processor but it tends to hang a good bit. I've done all my system cleanups virus scans etc and now I'm considering this as another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Cudders wrote: »
    Sorry for digging up an old thread...

Just wondering did you ever upgrade the Ram? Did you see a big difference?

I have this laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate with 3GB Ram & i3 Processor but it tends to hang a good bit. I've done all my system cleanups virus scans etc and now I'm considering this as another option.

What do you use the laptop for? 3GB should be enough for general usage but you might struggle a bit with more intensive stuff.

• Advertisement

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    What do you use the laptop for? 3GB should be enough for general usage but you might struggle a bit with more intensive stuff.

Nothing major I suppose, but I tend to keep a fair few tabs open when I'm browsing, listen to music in the background etc. I stream a bit of live TV online and occasionally plug it into the tv and it sometimes struggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Nothing major I suppose, but I tend to keep a fair few tabs open when I'm browsing, listen to music in the background etc. I stream a bit of live TV online and occasionally plug it into the tv and it sometimes struggles.

3GB RAM should be just about enough for that type of thing. If I were you, I would consider upgrading to a Solid State Drive before upgrading RAM. It really is the biggest upgrade you can make these days - if you can upgrade to even 4GB RAM with an SSD you should see a massive improvement in performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I tend to keep a fair few tabs open when I'm browsing

That uses up a lot or RAM with modern browsers! You can see for yourself what it using up memory by clicking ctrl + shift + esc. This brings up the task manager. Click on the performance tab.

Your options: use fewer tabs, uninstall other software or upgrade your RAM. Pick any or all of these to prevent your laptop from slowing down :)

unkel wrote: »
    That uses up a lot or RAM with modern browsers! You can see for yourself what it using up memory by clicking ctrl + shift + esc. This brings up the task manager. Click on the performance tab.

Your options: use fewer tabs, uninstall other software or upgrade your RAM. Pick any or all of these to prevent your laptop from slowing down :)

Suppose I'll have to change my ways, hard getting out of bad habbits! Cheers for the replies :)

Advertisement