Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Emergency Dentist on Medical Card - Getting Wisdom tooth removed

• 27-05-2015 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭

my poor 19 y/o Daughter bless her is suffering badly at the moment with a wisdom tooth thats pushing on another tooth and its not pushing through the gum - the pain is driving her mental, she been taking paracetamol and not relieving the pain, so she is taking ponstantin which is better but the pain is still bad, she in so much pain that she feels like cutting the gum herself and taking her tooth out herself with a pair of pliers! (her words!)

Her dentist has told her there is a 2 year wait for her to get her tooth taken out on Medical card or pay a couple of grand (!!) and have it taken out privately. Apparently the Sligo dentist (oly one??) that normally does it has had a heart attack and all cases have been transferred to Galway and thats why theres a 2 year waiting list! - Anyone got any suggestions at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

my poor 19 y/o Daughter bless her is suffering badly at the moment with a wisdom tooth thats pushing on another tooth and its not pushing through the gum - the pain is driving her mental, she been taking paracetamol and not relieving the pain, so she is taking ponstantin which is better but the pain is still bad, she in so much pain that she feels like cutting the gum herself and taking her tooth out herself with a pair of pliers! (her words!)

Her dentist has told her there is a 2 year wait for her to get her tooth taken out on Medical card or pay a couple of grand (!!) and have it taken out privately. Apparently the Sligo dentist (oly one??) that normally does it has had a heart attack and all cases have been transferred to Galway and thats why theres a 2 year waiting list! - Anyone got any suggestions at all?

The public system is unfortunately overloaded and the waiting times are getting longer with no proposals to help reduce them.....
    Dentists are guilty of telling patients that getting wisdom teeth out costs "a couple of grand" and while this may be true if having the treatment in a private hospital under a general anaesthetic, it is certainly not true if having the treatment under Iv sedation.
    4 wisdom teeth under Iv sedation including consultation should be a grand or maybe a little less.
    Look up oral surgeons who provide this,
    Os

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

The public system is unfortunately overloaded and the waiting times are getting longer with no proposals to help reduce them.....
    Dentists are guilty of telling patients that getting wisdom teeth out costs "a couple of grand" and while this may be true if having the treatment in a private hospital under a general anaesthetic, it is certainly not true if having the treatment under Iv sedation.
    4 wisdom teeth under Iv sedation including consultation should be a grand or maybe a little less.
    Look up oral surgeons who provide this,
    Os

thanks - cant afford anywhere near a grand either at the moment. its terrible state of affair. God I remember how much painful my wisdom tooth was when i had one and that was above the gum line - fancy them leaving patients that long

thanks - cant afford anywhere near a grand either at the moment. its terrible state of affair. God I remember how much painful my wisdom tooth was when i had one and that was above the gum line - fancy them leaving patients that long

Re read your post. If it is just one wisdom tooth, then it can be done under local anaesthetic. Expect to pay €300-400 or so... It is also a Ned 2 expense so 20% back on tax....
    All the best

Re read your post. If it is just one wisdom tooth, then it can be done under local anaesthetic. Expect to pay €300-400 or so... It is also a Ned 2 expense so 20% back on tax....
    All the best

ah yes - thanks for your help, will tell her but she cannot even afford 300euro she is on one of these low wage job bridge things or internship thats why she on medical card. Even a new mobile phone she wants to get a one plus mobile phone or something and thats 300euro and she keeps saying she cannot afford to get that, so she wont be able to scrape together 300 to 400 for tooth - but yes its better than thousands to get done what her current dentist quoted her. - i just hope this pain from her wisdom tooth is not going to do any long term damage, her cheek swells up and cheek goes red and had her in tears the other night and not sleeping good some nights - must be really painful, youd think this thing could be done quickly when its so painful like this even on the medical card.

just following up with an update - today (23/6/2015) she went to the dentist she was referred to in Markievicz house who said her pain was due to an abscess all that time and not because of the wisdom tooth - so all that time in pain and swollen because of the abscess that could have been given antibiotics for. I dunno why the original dentist could not have picked up on that. - I hope theres no lasting consequences/damage now of her having an abscess for that long without being treated.

• Advertisement

But what was the cause of the abscess?? Antibiotics are generally a temporary solution in dentistry. Most likely your daughter still needs a wisdom tooth removed or a root canal or some form of intervention.

I wouldn't expect that this is the end of the story...

just following up with an update - today (23/6/2015) she went to the dentist she was referred to in Markievicz house who said her pain was due to an abscess all that time and not because of the wisdom tooth - so all that time in pain and swollen because of the abscess that could have been given antibiotics for. I dunno why the original dentist could not have picked up on that. - I hope theres no lasting consequences/damage now of her having an abscess for that long without being treated.

But what was the cause of the abscess?? Antibiotics are generally a temporary solution in dentistry. Most likely your daughter still needs a wisdom tooth removed or a root canal or some form of intervention.

I wouldn't expect that this is the end of the story...

abscess was not on the wisdom tooth according to the dentist today, its on the pre-molar at the bottom row of teeth.

abscess was not on the wisdom tooth according to the dentist today, its on the pre-molar at the bottom row of teeth.

Ok, so does that need a root canal or extraction?

Ok, so does that need a root canal or extraction?

he's going to wait and see what the antibiotics do and then assess the situation... ....

he's going to wait and see what the antibiotics do and then assess the situation... ....

Sounds like a bad plan or no plan.....

• Advertisement

Sounds like a bad plan or no plan.....

is that the only 2 options on it then either extraction or root canal in that situation then - i dare say if thats the case she will have it pulled.

is that the only 2 options on it then either extraction or root canal in that situation then - i dare say if thats the case she will have it pulled.

I really don't have the information available to me to say....

All I can say is that it is rare to have a dental infection that does not require an operative intervention to solve...

Advertisement