Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tight foreskins and the boards search results

• 29-11-2014 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Long story short, my foreskin was too tight to retract and I fixed it with stretching over about two months.

Obviously I started the progress with googling and I read posts across a few websites, most advocated stretching.

The issue being that the first website to tell me that stretching was ineffective was the first search result for the issue on boards where a number of people state outright that it doesnt work

I like boards, I post here and most of the people here do their best when people ask for advice.

I was quite upset with the prospect of circumcision (perhaps irrationally I'm unfamiliar with the process) the boards posts nearly made me avoid stretching altogether.

I know it's something that may work for some and not for others but I'd advocate at least trying it and I'd like to have a record of the other side of the debate appear on boards for someone in my situation.

This can all be avoided by going to the doctor and just asking (which you should defintely always do first) but I'm the first to admit that it may not be the most appealing prospect to some.

hope this helps someone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Stretching probably works for those with mild phimosis and for which only a partial circumcision would be required anyway. For those with phimosis bad enough to warrant a full circumcision, stretching is probably a painful waste of time and effort.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Given folks into piercing can stretch earlobes and lips to quite an amazing degree, never mind some of the more shall we say obsessed men who aim to reconstruct their post natal removed foreskin by stretching in adulthood and apparently can get some results from that, I'm surprised there isn't more research into that kinda therapy. OK scar tissue is a barrier, as is the structure of the foreskin itself. I can't imagine how one would apply increasing pressure to force new skin cell growth, the way folks add increasingly bigger piercings to say an earlobe.

The go to therapy does seem to be full circumcision, regardless of severity. At least going by the guys experiences with their docs in the circumcision thread. Maybe because it's one of the oldest most practiced medical/body modification practices there is, so the medical profession are "used to it" for want of a better term? What surprises me more is that there appears to be another surgical alternative preputioplasty that must be applicable in at least some cases, certainly the less severe cases. It's obviously less invasive, requires less healing time and preserves the original structure of the penis and foreskin. Again maybe it's a traditional, this is how we do it and training thing?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I have phimosis at the mo and went to the urologist. There were two of them there and both said a circumsion could still be avoided by stretching and cleaning. Bit by bit, it's getting better. Patience is a necessity, however.

Circumsion does seem to be a last resort. It'd been about five months between when I first noticed the symptoms and when I got to see the urologist so obviously it hadn't gone too far. When I went to see them I was resigned to having a circumsion but they made me feel nore confident about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I tried stretching for a year - it was painful and all in all - sex was not enjoyable and had not been. I had phimosis and frenulum Breve.

I got circumcised at 26, and 5 years later - no regrets. Sex is enjoyable and I am not in pain with erections.

Yes sometimes...circumcision is not necessary...especially when it's cultural - but other times...it is necessary and makes life A LOT more enjoyable.

Advertisement