Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Funny Side of not being straight.

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Big Hairy Cat

I still remember how I outed myself at work.
    One of the office ladies (a real chatter), a new hire that had been with us a week and myself all went down to the pub on Friday to give the new chap a drink and decent welcome after work. No idea how it happened but during the week the guy had come out / been outed as gay. I on the other hand was not out to anyone at work and had no interest in changing that.

Myself being 'bob' and the office gos.... verbal distribute of salacious news being 'Jill' a snippet of the conversation went as follows:
    Jill: You don't have to worry about it. Bob is gay too. (gesturing toward me)
    Bob: Wait. What makes you think I'm gay?
    Jill: You have a boyfriend don't you?
    Bob: Not for the last five years!
    Bob: ... F***.

Oversharing.
    I was just caught off guard by her assertion and lost track of my mouth. XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

A story my friend (we'll call her Mary) told me in the run up to the marriage equality vote:
    Mary was with her boyfriend visiting his granny. Granny was coming up on 90 years of age, real West-of-Ireland old-fashioned lady, devoted to the Church, etc. The topic of the upcoming vote came around and Mary thinks to herself "Oh no, I don't want to fall out with himself's family, but what am I going to say when the granny inevitably tells us to be voting 'no'?"

So Granny says to her, "Well Mary, what way will you be voting next week?" and Mary says to her, "I'm going to vote 'yes'", and awaits the backlash.

But instead Granny says "As well you should! We should all be voting yes, sure people only want to be happy". 'Phew!', thinks my friend, and visibly relaxes. And Granny continues, pleased as punch with herself: "Young people seem to think this is all new to us, but I'll tell you what, we had gays in my day too - only we called them 'quares'" :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

Nephew was round. Standard game of hide and seek begins.

"Ash, come out, come out!"
    "I have already! Years ago!"
    *everyone within earshot laughs*
    *Nephew frowns, confused*

I am....THAT hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,790 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

We could do with more light hearted humour here. Anyone any stories to add?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Haha this thread is a blast from the past, nostalgia buzz! I always get a smile reading through some of the posts on this thread, should be stickied :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

A while ago there was a documentary on RTE about the gay rights movement in the 1970s, 80s and beyond. Enjoyed it greatly and found it very emotional. A reminder of how bad things were, how far they have come - how we all have aged :)
    Was wheeling my trolley around the supermarket a few days later when my niece pulled up alongside and began to tell me how much she had enjoyed the programme and how she was thinking of us during it all. I was very pleased and a little touched. She then added a few odd bits though ...hoping it wouldn't be as bad for us, that there would be plenty around to help out and so on... I was beginning to wonder... and asked her what programme she had been watching?
    The answer --- "Too old to drive"!!

Sometimes people are blind to us being gay, and just see other issues! Didn't know whether to laugh or cry!

Glitterbombing homophobes with biodegradable glitter. Love it.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/08/06/man-glitter-******-car/amp/

https://medium.com/@nickhurley/when-glitter-goes-viral-e5b4ba2df2a9

EDIT - the original link was broken by the swear filter

https://bit.ly/2KDG0OR

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I had a hilarious conversation with 2 friends last week.

1 is a lesbian, the other is a bi woman.

They were both - "oh I downloaded grindr thinking it was a dating app for all lgbt people - deleted it minutes later"

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I remember at my 10 year school reunion two guys who played on the Senior rugby team as an out half and a forward told the other lads there (about 50 lads showed up in a booked out room in Doheny and Nesbit’s pub on Baggott St) - that they were gay and a couple and first got it together in sixth year in school but were way in the closet then, as I was.

The other lads were gobsmacked - these guys were big rugged lads, very masculine. The other guys laughed and said to them that “sure you’re only messing lads, aren’t ya?”

They gave each other a quick kiss on the lips and one lad watching actually dropped his pint glass which smashed on the floor! :eek::D

It really ruffled feathers but the two gay rugger lads just laughed it off. Then a few (about 4 or 5) lads walked out, but the rest told them “fair play.” This was the autumn of 2003.

That emboldened me to tell lads I hadn’t seen in a decade that I was gay too as I’d been asked if I was married due to the ring my then OH gave me. A couple of guys quipped “well, we’re stunned by that news - NOT!!”

Those two lads stole my thunder!! Or so I thought...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

I got 5 out of 8. One question caught me out. I had no idea that's what a particular term meant. I was certain it was the other answer. Someone set the quiz up wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

PFMC84 wrote:
    I got 5 out of 8. One question caught me out. I had no idea that's what a particular term meant. I was certain it was the other answer. Someone set the quiz up wrong!

Three answers are wrong; the stone butch one, the high femme one and the futch one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭An_Toirpin

brownej wrote: »
    I was in BTs on Grafton street on Saturday with my husband. I was looking for a new shirt. I didn't realise there was a sale on until I went in and everything was all mixed up on racks. I hate shopping enough and this didn't help.
    Anyway.... there were a group of young lads, late teens early twenties (about 10 of them) who were in for the sale. I'm mid thirties and my husband is early forties. I heard one of the young lads make a crack about us being undercover guards as we walked past.

I never really thought about the whole straight acting thing before but being mistaken for under cover guards is a whole other level.
    Funny though!
    I never knew that was a thing!

An_Toirpin wrote: »
    I never knew that was a thing!

What?

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement