Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

JonnyM wrote: »
    how or where can i download 'belle' from??
    Connect to PC via USB, run Nokia Suite (it replaced Ovi Suite) and you should be prompted to update. When I checked via the phone without connecting it said no update available, so you defo need to do it via data cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

sound it just came up there after bout 3mins with the phone connected

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

Yea it's definately a major improvement over the old system. Sort of half way between Android and the outdated old Symbian system.

Along with the other bits of software it deleted it wiped my podcatcher and I notice that they want €2 to download it again. Anyone know a free alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Are locked Vodafone Irl customers getting the updates ok? Not sure where kmart's screenshot comes from...

is there a way of using limited battery use?? cant seem to find it as you used to be able to just hold your finger down over the battery symbol. Any help cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭pkeno

JonnyM wrote: »
    is there a way of using limited battery use?? cant seem to find it as you used to be able to just hold your finger down over the battery symbol. Any help cheers

Yep, just press the power button and select "Activate power saving".

No problems for me at the moment, although Ovi Store kept crashing last night. The website was down also though so may have been server issues.

Feels like a new phone really, very pleased.

another question??? :o

When i want to change the image of my wallpaper i can get all images available to me even ones i downloaded from internet but when i view my gallery these images are not there. Also some of the photos i can see in when i want to change wallpaper there are many duplicates and some i want to delete but cant. hope this makes sense!!

cheers

Ok after a day using it I have to say I was initially impressed. It feels slick and semi-android like. There is a lot of reconstruction to be done after the upgrade as many apps will disappear and many settings (ringtones, wifi, alarms etc) will be reset as if on a new phone. I found podcatcher free on the nokia labs site so didnt have to pay for it. If you have used android (I have an android tablet) then many of the new features will already be second nature to you.

However while this is a major improvement on the base system the old fatal flaw quickly appears again. Very few apps. In fact the similarity to leading smartphone operating systems like Android and Apple simply serves to highlight the lack of apps. I found myself even more frustrated than normal when I logged into the store. This phone can do a lot but there isnt a lot for it to do. I suspect that the new windows phones will be a similar frustrating experience.

Best I can say about the upgrade is anyone who has never used a real smart phone like android or apple will find this a useful training bridge to get you used to the functions while you wait for your contract to expire and you can move to apple/android

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Are locked Vodafone Irl customers getting the updates ok? Not sure where kmart's screenshot comes from...
    It came from the Official Nokia Belle roll out list!

touts wrote: »
    Very few apps. In fact the similarity to leading smartphone operating systems like Android and Apple simply serves to highlight the lack of apps. I found myself even more frustrated than normal when I logged into the store. This phone can do a lot but there isnt a lot for it to do.

Have to disagree with that, the Nokia Store is very well stocked, and as much as Apple and Android brag about the amount of Apps they have, majority of it is the same thing duplicated countless times! Yes, there may be some Apps is does not have, but that is the case with all OS Stores, and it has nearly all the mainstream apps!
    I suspect that the new windows phones will be a similar frustrating experience.

What's your reasoning behind that?! Not as if the Lumia's are the first Windows Phones!!

Best I can say about the upgrade is anyone who has never used a real smart phone like android or apple will find this a useful training bridge to get you used to the functions while you wait for your contract to expire and you can move to apple/android

This paragraph is why you opinion should not be taken seriously!

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »
    Have to disagree with that, the Nokia Store is very well stocked, and as much as Apple and Android brag about the amount of Apps they have, majority of it is the same thing duplicated countless times! Yes, there may be some Apps is does not have, but that is the case with all OS Stores, and it has nearly all the mainstream apps!

What's your reasoning behind that?! Not as if the Lumia's are the first Windows Phones!!

This paragraph is why you opinion should not be taken seriously!

Are you seriously saying that the Nokia App store is even close to the stores of Apple or Android. Look I like the N8. It has the best hardware of any phone (Camera, GPS, Radio, Radio transmitter etc etc) but the software is awful. On my Android tablet I have apps like RTE news now, BBC news, Google Reader, Tune-Wiki, Hotmail, RTE Player, Sky Sports News, Google Listen etc etc etc. On Nokia there simply is not a matching app or the app that they propose as an alternative is a poor substitute. That's why Nokia are on their knees.

I'm basing my analysis of Windows on exactly the same criteria. I have played with a few and their range of apps is just as bad as Symbian. It's like Nokia traded their old Lada for an old Rover. Flashier system but under the hood they are equally rubbish just on a higher point on the death spiral so all they have done is delay the inevitable a couple of years longer.

There are a group of Nokia/Symbian fanatics who defend their system to the point of comedy. I subscribe to blogs like "All about Symbian" and your post is almost word for word what you would expect there. Attack all those who question the Symbian faith. You need to try Android and really understand what you are talking about.

Had Nokia gone to Android then I would be Nokia for life. But we are at the point where the abilities of the excellent hardware on phones like the N8 are being crippled by the poor operating system. Belle is a cosmetic improvement but it is simply putting lipstick on a pig. My next phone will probably be an Experia (my wife has one and it's really excellent) but I'll be keeping the N8 sim-free in my coat to act as my GPS and camera.

On my Android tablet

So your comparing tablets with phones now?!
    touts wrote:
    That's why Nokia are on their knees.

Really on their knees alright....

touts wrote:
    I'm basing my analysis of Windows on exactly the same criteria. I have played with a few and their range of apps is just as bad as Symbian.

Ok, just as a matter of interest, list to me the mainstream apps that would be used daily that you say it is missing!
    touts wrote:
    There are a group of Nokia/Symbian fanatics who defend their system to the point of comedy. I subscribe to blogs like "All about Symbian" and your post is almost word for word what you would expect there. Attack all those who question the Symbian faith. You need to try Android and really understand what you are talking about.

Don't even read AAS, as they will clearly always favour Symbian, then again all blogs/tech sites favour one OS and are always biased! Have tried Android, and wouldn't go near it!

So your comparing tablets with phones now?!
    No I'm comparing operating systems. There is no doubt that Android on tablets doesn't have as big a selection of Apps as Android on phones. It's still many times better than Symbian.
    Well if you are going to trade stories here is 10 months in the life of Nokia via the BBC:
    Nokia to carry out 4,000 job cuts
    Nokia reports loss as mobile phone sales drop
    Nokia's profits take a knock
    Nokia's rescue plan - is it enough?
    Nokia is off the burning platform - can it reach shore?Nokia loses another technology chief
    Nokia shares recover after Microsoft sale rumours
    Nokia to shed 7,000 staff as part of reorganisation
    Nokia market share falls but Microsoft deal confirmed

Ok, just as a matter of interest, list to me the mainstream apps that would be used daily that you say it is missing!

Already did and you ignored it. Why don't you sell us on the great and fantastic Symbian app store.....
    Don't even read AAS, as they will clearly always favour Symbian, then again all blogs/tech sites favour one OS and are always biased! Have tried Android, and wouldn't go near it!

OK well it's time for the question most symbian staff/advocates can't answer. Can you list the functions that Android or Apple do less well than Symbian (and GPS, Camera, Radio, Radio Transmitter etc are hardware functions not software functions. The excellent Nokia hardware would work just as well on any system. You have to sell us on Symbian).

Again to make it clear where I am coming from I have used both Android and Symbian extensively. I have been a loyal Nokia user for 15 years. I thought the N95 was the best phone on the market (ahead of the early iPhone and there were no Androids of note if at all at the time). I think the N8 has fantastic hardware that is keeping me using it. But when my contract is up in 3 months and I get an upgrade I'm off to Android (probably an Experia but will see at the time as the Galaxy also looks good) because I use Android on both my tablet and my wife's Experia and they are years ahead of Symbian (Belle possibly makes it months behind but the App selection still resembles the stores that Appld/Android had 3-4 years ago. That's a life time in technology terms).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Nok1a

Upgraded yesterday, think its a great improvement, seems much quicker than the old OS.

I did have to delete and re-download some apps as they were buggy but other than that im a happy customer.

One downside for me as previously mentioned is the email, takes up too much space and id prefer if my emails werent as visible on the home screen.

Upgraded last night. While the performance/responsiveness/look-and-feel overall seem much improved, I'm not especially thrilled that (a) most of my downloaded apps have disappeared and need to be reinstalled, (b) many phone settings went to factory defaults, (c) the Activate Power Saving setting is not included in the "pull-down" thingie and has moved to the power button menu - a really awkward button to have to use imo.

But of most concern right now is that:
    1. It will no longer hold my home Wifi connection for more than ~20 secs before it goes from "Connected" to "Unknown" - I have to keep refreshing/reconnecting but even when "connected" no network activity seems to occur.
    2. I could not apply the 2 additional updates (Search utility & BBC DRM licenses) as Nokia suite reported an error due to the handset's time setting being out of synch (it is not!)
    3. I could not download the missing apps from Ovi SMS links as the handset could not connect to Ovi Store (possibly related to WiFi issue?).

Anybody else having these issues or got any advice? :confused:

Upgraded last night. While the performance/responsiveness/look-and-feel overall seem much improved, I'm not especially thrilled that (a) most of my downloaded apps have disappeared and need to be reinstalled, (b) many phone settings went to factory defaults, (c) the Activate Power Saving setting is not included in the "pull-down" thingie and has moved to the power button menu - a really awkward button to have to use imo.

But of most concern right now is that:
    1. It will no longer hold my home Wifi connection for more than ~20 secs before it goes from "Connected" to "Unknown" - I have to keep refreshing/reconnecting but even when "connected" no network activity seems to occur.
    2. I could not apply the 2 additional updates (Search utility & BBC DRM licenses) as Nokia suite reported an error due to the handset's time setting being out of synch (it is not!)
    3. I could not download the missing apps from Ovi SMS links as the handset could not connect to Ovi Store (possibly related to WiFi issue?).
    Anybody else having these issues or got any advice? :confused:

I had the same problem but discovered there's a setting in there for power saving of the wifi. Every few minutes of inactivity and it was disconnecting and not reconnecting. Can't remember where it was but if you disable that the wifi stays on (and eats your battery).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Originally Posted by EarthlyPangaea:
I'm also having the same wifi problem.

Posted reply from davy...
    Did you scan and connect rather than add ana access point. If you dont do the later, it doesn't save it like previously.

So just go to:
Menu > settings > connectivity > settings > network destinations > access point.

Copyed this from the apps thread.
    It works. Have to say im lovin belle (posted from my n8 belle :) )

I had the same problem but discovered there's a setting in there for power saving of the wifi. Every few minutes of inactivity and it was disconnecting and not reconnecting. Can't remember where it was but if you disable that the wifi stays on (and eats your battery).
    Thanks, that seems to have done the trick - plus setting "Internet" as default Network Destination.
    Menu / Settings / Connectivity / WiFi / [Sub-menu] Settings / Power saving -> Disabled
    Menu / Settings / Connectivity / Settings / Network Destinations / [Sub-menu] Default connection -> Internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Thanks, that seems to have done the trick - plus setting "Internet" as default Network Destination.
    Menu / Settings / Connectivity / WiFi / [Sub-menu] Settings / Power saving -> Disabled
    Menu / Settings / Connectivity / Settings / Network Destinations / [Sub-menu] Default connection -> Internet

sorry, i forget to say
    you can turn this back on
    cos you set your wifi as default so when it needs the wifi it knows
    were to connect to,save you a bit of battery,if usin whatsapp or the
    like turn them off to save it connectin to the wifi

LINKS

Oh right, so a company making changes to how they operate now means they are on there knees?! Cutting jobs to move production elsewhere, where others have been for years to cut costs, don't see what the issue there us
    Already did and you ignored it. Why don't you sell us on the great and fantastic Symbian app store.....

You've listed news sites, if I wanna read them I'll use the browser, don't need an App for each website, that's just ridiculous! As for Hotmail, there's a stand alone app as well as the built in client! I'm not trying to sell it, just pointing out where you seem to be totally over hyping other OS!

OK well it's time for the question most symbian staff/advocates can't answer. Can you list the functions that Android or Apple do less well than Symbian (and GPS, Camera, Radio, Radio Transmitter etc are hardware functions not software functions. The excellent Nokia hardware would work just as well on any system. You have to sell us on Symbian).

Surely since you seem to think your so knowledgeable on the subject you know that for the GPS and Camera to be so good that it still comes down to software after the hardware!?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I upgraded due to my work email not working any longer on my phone.

Aside from ongoing issues with exchange not working on it, I hate the new interface, the web browsing and radio interfaces in particular, it took me a good ten minutes to find both together today.

Having an N8 is the kiss of death for me as a Nokia user, my next phone will be anything but a Nokia, most likely an Android.

Apart from the issues I've had, the fact my college has iphone and android apps etc and multiple other services are the same, I'll not use a Nokia again.

Oh right, so a company making changes to how they operate now means they are on there knees?! Cutting jobs to move production elsewhere, where others have been for years to cut costs, don't see what the issue there us

You've listed news sites, if I wanna read them I'll use the browser, don't need an App for each website, that's just ridiculous! As for Hotmail, there's a stand alone app as well as the built in client! I'm not trying to sell it, just pointing out where you seem to be totally over hyping other OS!

Surely since you seem to think your so knowledgeable on the subject you know that for the GPS and Camera to be so good that it still comes down to software after the hardware!?

Look at the end of the day the most damning criticism of symbian is the fact that even Nokia have decided to look elsewhere. You think it is superior to Android. Thats your choice. But most people dont see it that way and thats why Nokia are in trouble (yes they are). People want apps and are no longer satisfied with having to put effort into using a browser to find the info. I think choosing the unproven and so far unpopular Windows over Android is simply making the same mistakein a flashier more colourful way. I hope not because I am a fan of Nokia phones.

I never said it was superior, so please to not state that as you are lying!

I never said it was superior, so please to not state that as you are lying!

Oh please! :rolleyes: Time to agree to disagree.

Well I didn't say that, so I am entitled to point it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Come on - this is a Nokia thread, if you don't like Nokia then start a separate thread.

Me, I like Nokia, though I hope that they don't adopt the work practices used by their competitors when they move to China.

The thought of having my phone built by children, or by people working in slave conditions, would really sicken me. I don't think I could buy a phone built on such human misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mollser

Have had Belle installed for a couple of days now, I must say I really like it. The FM transmitter widget is really convenient, loving it!

ActiveSync mail works with my office email account now (didn't before) so I can keep the phone for a good while longer yet! Difficult to know re battery life because of the amount of fiddling I've been doing, but seems pretty good - I reckon I can get two full days from the phone now.

Facebook app is much better - scrolling through the updates without opening the app is a nice touch.

All in all, very impressed.
    People want apps and are no longer satisfied with having to put effort into using a browser to find the info..

Never understood this. I am absolutely the opposite mentality to this, the last thing I want is a load of pointless app icons clogging up the phone when all a hell of a lot of them do is point to a mobile web site (sometimes a few bells and whistles are added on, but I just want the information thank you). A separate irish times, independent, sky news, rte news app? Fock that, it is so much more convenient to just go to book marks and load up the new site.

I do believe that whole 'app' culture for every website out there (particularly news) was a creation of Apple and only complicates the experience. Although GPS apps, games etc are obviously needed, and are terrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

How can you find out how much life is left in the battery. I liked when you could press the battery and it would tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Nok1a

cena wrote: »
    How can you find out how much life is left in the battery. I liked when you could press the battery and it would tell.

there is a pretty good free app in the store which monitors your battery usage and will tell you %s left if you did x or y. Add it to your home page as a shortcut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

Nok1a wrote: »
    there is a pretty good free app in the store which monitors your battery usage and will tell you %s left if you did x or y. Add it to your home page as a shortcut.

I don't want to download an app. I want it the way it came on the phone when I first brought.

Also you can no longer turn widgets online.

Advertisement