Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SimplyElectronics.net Euro Rip off

• 22-11-2009 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

Just a quick rant/moan/observation.

I was just looking to see where I could buy the new Nokia E72 and found Simplyelectronics.net and it was listed for £309 (full price, inc delivery) Bargain I thought!

But you have to register to buy from them, so I registers and put in my irish address. When I got back to the checkout page, it had updated it with euros because it knew I was in Ireland, but also updated the price to €409.

So I opened a second tab, little bit of www.xe.com and £309 converts to €343?

Thats an addition €66 for being in Ireland?

Wont be buying the phone from them anyway!!!

Just thought I would share!

DG.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

The only way that these company will learn is if all their Irish trade drys up and even then I don't know if they really care that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Rip Off Ireland

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

did you happen to do some research on the reputation of the company when you saw your "Bargain" price ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

PCPhoto wrote: »
    did you happen to do some research on the reputation of the company when you saw your "Bargain" price ?

Another infamous organisation with a multitude of complaints against them.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭tigger1962

as someone who "shopped" with them in the past... i won't do it again... They are actually based in hongkong!! see their terms and conditions! They were caught out recently at their uk address which turned out the be a house in an estate... they've recently moved their uk address to the Isle of man!

Check out AVforums for more info on them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 MarysCross

Always worth checking aboutus.org to see where their actually based, I made the mistake of buying useless knock of trainers form china in the past. Yeah learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭captainscarlet

They might have added our rate of tax onto that. Amazon does the same, substituting the UK 16% tax with Ire 21%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Electric Fish

Hi.

I purchased a G12 camera from Simply Electronics on 13/01/10 (and still hope to have it before the G13 is released)as they had four units available on their website. I had Today, 21 days later, despite their promise of a usual 3 to 10 day delivery turnaround I still have not received delivery...(although DHL have confirmed this am that a package arrived for me this morning). I bought the item on the recommendation of a (now former!)friend.... E-mails to the Company elicited half truths and excuses. Sometimes, it seems, a good proven service record is worth paying a little extra for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 loughlip

Do you have an email for simply electronics?

I need to hassle them.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

DanGlee wrote: »
    Just a quick rant/moan/observation.

I was just looking to see where I could buy the new Nokia E72 and found Simplyelectronics.net and it was listed for £309 (full price, inc delivery) Bargain I thought!

But you have to register to buy from them, so I registers and put in my irish address. When I got back to the checkout page, it had updated it with euros because it knew I was in Ireland, but also updated the price to €409.

So I opened a second tab, little bit of www.xe.com and £309 converts to €343?

Thats an addition €66 for being in Ireland?

Wont be buying the phone from them anyway!!!

Just thought I would share!

DG.

just on the e72 - you can get it cheaper than that from an irish company - 260 euro - maxroam - I got it from them at less that that actually however thats probably best not brought up again in boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Electric Fish

E-Mail addresses you can use are
    SimplyElectronics Support Team <info@simplyelectronics.net>
    or as they quoted me

"If you have any questions about your order, please feel free to contact us at" info@simplyelectronics.net.

ha ha...........enjoy

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

They might have added our rate of tax onto that. Amazon does the same, substituting the UK 16% tax with Ire 21%.

The UK's VAT rate is 17.5% again, lower than here but not by so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Plus i've never, ever managed to get anything close to the XE.com rate :) (as its market rate not consumer)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Qwikpix

Simply Electronics' customer service may be open to improvement in view of the number of complaints one reads about them.

However I have bought two Canon lenses from them and received excellent service. The first lens was a Canon 100mm Macro 2.8 which was bought over a year ago and delivered on time, well packed and at a lower price than I could obtain elsewhere. A photo from this lens of a heron in a tree in the Botanic Gardens is on www.flickr.com/qwikpix. The heron was about 50 feet up a tree that was over 50 yards away from me.

The second lens was a Canon 70-300mm which I bought some months ago for a very good price. Photos with this lens of a duck on the Corrib and two cats are also on flickr. SE may be a Hong Kong company but the two lenses were delivered by road transport from the UK by DHL.

I have just ordered a Canon 50mm 1.4 from them. If any difficulties arise I will post the details here. Based on my previous experiences, I don't expect any. I have paid by credit card through Google Checkout.

Qwikpix

Just a brief update: I have just received an email from Simply Electronics to say that my lens has been despatched by DHL Single European.

That is excellent service. The money was taken from my account this morning.

Qwikpix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dreamz

If you buy from Simply Electronics and do not pay customs duty on your imports (you are importing from Hong Kong - read the terms), then you are breaking the law...

..that is why the prices are so low.. that and the fact that they often don't bother to send anything at all (as in our case), lol... so, no - don't send your money to Simply Electronics - you might never see it again... (and adding the taxes, it makes goods the same price as in Ireland)...

..and when you complain, as we experienced, ignored emails, ignored phone calls, no stock (even though it says on the website), reports of damaged goods, opened boxes (perhaps customs)?

So, if you want to illegally import - but that is not legal of course...

..but not a clever idea to post online that you have broken the law... which makes one suspicious of the limited amount of 'positive' comments with English grammar problems in a variety of forums...

...this really doesn't qualify as 'rip-off Ireland', more like 'rip-off Hong Kong'. The HK police are investigating Simply Electronics and their practices under suspicion of fraudulent and deceptive practices...

..so, you have been warned! We're still awaiting a refund back from them, no goods and no money... not funny :-(

While the experiences of others may differ, I can only reiterate that I have always received an excellent and trouble free service from Simply Electronics.

The Canon 50mm f1.4 lens, my most recent purchase was delivered to me by DHL on Wednesday 30 June 2010. It was ordered at about 8pm on Sunday 27 June, the payment was taken from my credit card on Monday 28 June and DHL delivered by road from the UK to me in Navan by 11am on Wednesday 28 June.

Qwikpix
    Navan, Co. Meath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kkavgou

I have just recieved a new Nikon D90 from simply electronics, at over €100 less than I could get it anywhere else. yes the service wasn't the advertised 5 days, it took 8. but thats a small price to pay for the savings. I have no doubt that other customers have had a bad time with them, as I'm sure its the case with any company thier size. but for me there is no complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭emy

I can confirm myself that i have bought Sigma 17-70/Sandisk extreme 16gb and hoya 72 mm UV filter (free shipping dispatched by DHL). Everything went fine. I am planing to get a canon 550D from them too. No complains so far, communication was perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jamsam

DO NOT BUY FROM Simplyelectronic.net!!!! Fraudulent Company!! This company (so called company) is based in HK. They operate internationally, take peoples money, do not send products, and make profits by earning money on interest payments while they keep your money in their accounts. They will make multiple excuses for not dispatching your order and make more excuses for not expediting your refund.

Be very careful!! Don't believe the positive reviews on this site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kkavgou

I am a genuine irish buyer, I posted here because i nearly did not buy from this company because of all the negative feedback. I have given the details of my transation fairly. absolutly anyone thinking of buying from them should do the research, but you will find as I did that there is a bargin to be gotten here, consult independant monitors such as trustpilot.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 chucky75

I bought a Canon 50d kit & a canon speedlite 580ex II for nearly €1400 and after about 6 working days I received my order by DHL. Would def recommend this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 teramai

tigger1962 wrote: »
    as someone who "shopped" with them in the past... i won't do it again... They are actually based in hongkong!! see their terms and conditions! They were caught out recently at their uk address which turned out the be a house in an estate... they've recently moved their uk address to the Isle of man!

Check out AVforums for more info on them

thanks for that imfo tigger1962 was going to buy from them but would not touch them now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sodslaw

hi everyone
    i am not saying theres no problems with this company but i just bought a new nokia n900 from them for the bargain price of €365. i recieved emails daily and was kept upto speed at all times. i recieved the phone in perfect condition from the uk (gatwick area). it did take a day longer than five working days to get though, i must admit after reading the views i was caking it for the week.
    all in all i was very happy with my purchase. i know they have there problems but so do other large companies such as pixmania who are similar.
    i dont know why it came from a warehouse in england when they are based in hong kong though.
    steve

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MollyMockit

what!

I am surprised to hear this. In the last few months I have used them twice and plan to use again.

First I bought a Nikon lens and when that went fine I bought a Nikon flash.

I found the customer service communication very good. But their dispatch is slow. I had to register with moneybooker to pay by credit card, money bookers seems like a British paypal. But money bookers didnt charge my credit card for about a week later. They emailed me saying that they were going to charge me soon, then I got an email form Simply electronics with my DHL tracking code. DHL were very quick, 3 days later I had it.

The 1st time I had an issue with DHL driver not being his phone with him to ring me to let him in to the building. I let Simply electronics know as they asked me to email them to confirm that I had received the product. The customer service rep was concerned that I was having difficulty with the courier.

I thought it was a UK company, everything seemed British to me. I would rather buy local but I just wouldn't have been able to buy the items at local prices.

I have gotten nikon goods from Hong Kong Sellers and they have chinese manuals with english photocopies. But the goods I got from simply electronics had genuine english manuals in the boxes. And the items came from the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tomeck

I was surprised by all the negative feedback on Simplyelectronics.ie
    I was convinced that they were european based company - indeed the prices of some items are VERY low when compared to others.
    I bought twice from them : Tokina lens for 469 euro, and Nikkor lens for 200 euro. They were perfect and i had no problems with shipping.
    I hope that next time i buy from them i will not have to change my review.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

And still the new posters arrive to tell us all how wonderful SimplyElectronics is:pac:

They must think that we're all stupid.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dayglo

Hi folks,

I have ordered a Tokina fisheye lens from this supplier- then for some reason went to web review Simply Electronics AFTER I had ordered. Needless to say- have mixed feelings from the mixed reviews.
    My order(and my money) was taken on 22.10.2010. Havent heard anything from them yet - save the order is confirmed and in the 'processing' stage. Standard delivery is 2-7 working days- so, in theory I should hear from them by early next week? Will let you know what the outcome is.

Am anxious- but....thanks a mill to all you who posted about this company(?) so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Dayglo

Update:
    I did not pay extra for 'speeded up' delivery option so was prepared to wait the 7 or so working days for order to go through. On the eight day my 'processing' changed to 'packing' on my simply electronics account history- then I got an email to say my lens was on the way. So to finish off my little story.....
    I received my brand new Tokina 10-17mm lens (Nikon Mount) today- complete with its CE mark and serial number- 4.11.2010- via DHL express.

Simply electronics does exactly what it says on the tin- I couldnt care less if its a white, grey, or black market product- bottom line- I got my lens for at a great price- at least 100 euro cheaper using Simply electronics (if I was buying the lens in good old Eire-more) - and for that I cannot fault them. Communication was perfect throughout- Will most definately use again.

So, from this genuine buyer, who loves his photography...

Thank you Simply Electronics.

Advertisement