Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Hamster Clinic (or the Repair Advice Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Just wanted to add a thanks to Eoghan for sorting out my 24-70 f/2.8 L. Not only is he an absolute gent, he really knows his stuff.

Are his contact details available by pm? I was hoping to get something fixed but haven't seen Eoghan here in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Are his contact details available by pm? I was hoping to get something fixed but haven't seen Eoghan here in a while.

You could try contacting him via his website or his facebook (linked from the website).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hi, I've a problem with my canon EF 17-85 lens. It's err 99. Seems to common enough from a bit of googling.

Camera works fine with other lenses, any advice on who would be able to take a look at this in the Dublin area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

I have a problem with my Epson 3880 printer. It won't print black. A nozzle check doesn't show anything for black. Same results for Photo and Matte Black. Did cleaning cycles, power cleaning cycles and used "magic bullet". Still no black.

I have a feeling that it is the valve that switches between photo and matte black that is gone. I have searched the Epson web site for out of warranty repair (to no avail).

Anybody had this problem before or know where to get it repaired?

Thanks, Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 19 TermoFix

I have a problem with my Epson 3880 printer. It won't print black. A nozzle check doesn't show anything for black. Same results for Photo and Matte Black. Did cleaning cycles, power cleaning cycles and used "magic bullet". Still no black.

I have a feeling that it is the valve that switches between photo and matte black that is gone. I have searched the Epson web site for out of warranty repair (to no avail).

Anybody had this problem before or know where to get it repaired?

Thanks, Adrian

Are you sure it's not the printhead failure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

TermoFix wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not the printhead failure?

Its possible but I don't think it likely. It failed in the middle of printing an image. No sign of any deterioration in print quality beforehand.

I definitely need a professional repair but I can't find any details of where to go - the Epson site is worse than useless!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 krudley

Does anybody here know if there is a place (or person) who can service old film cameras? I have a few Olympus rangefinders from the 70's that have sticky shutters that need looking at!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Callanan

Make: Sigma Lens on Canon 40D
    Model: Sigma DC 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3
    Fault: Over exposure when zoom and will not autofocus

When/how it happened: For a while now the lens would over expose on shots if I used the zoom. I continued to use and manually compensated the exposure. Now the lens will not focus and there is the image through the view finder darkens to indicate a problem. I've read that the arpature sticks on this model. I've looked down the barrel of the lens and can see a small hexagonal shape that would indicate an arpature issue. Does anyone know if this is fixable or is the lens dead. Can anyone recommend a repair shop. Im in west Limerick.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 3 govindalinda

Make: Canon

Item: Lens

Model: EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Fault: the lens is sticking & making a clicking noise when I try to zoom, it sounds like there is something small rattling around in there. I can usually only zoom to about 105mm - it won't go any further without it feeling like I'm forcing it. It is also struggling to auto focus (it won't auto focus at all at the moment but it does work sonetimes)

When/how it happened: I'm not sure how it happened as it hasn't been dropped or anything. It's a few years old so not covered under warranty.

Any advice appreciated, thanks!
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 1 malrove

Make:Jupiter 3
    Lens
    Model:1:1,5 F 50mm
    Needs cleaning and adjusting. Some little screws missing.
    Fault:Lens was maltreated by former owner.

CabanSail wrote: »
    This is a thread for anyone having technical problems with Cameras and/or Accessories. Post your problem here and others with technical expertise, or those that may have had similar problems, can post solutions and advice.

Please format your requests in the following manner;

Make: (ie. Canon, Nikon, Fuji etc)

Item: (Compact Camera, DSLR Body, Lens, Speedlight, etc)

Model: (ie 5D MkII, D300, X 100, etc)

Fault: A description of the fault.

When/how it happened:

To make this work we ask;

• that posts are kept strictly on topic.
    • that information be as detailed and precise as possible.
    • you read through the thread first to see if an answer has already been given.

To those giving advice, we appreciate your involvement. It is realised that it may be recommended that items be taken to a workshop or business for repair/service. To keep within the policy of the site, the offering of a service must not be seen as Shilling or Advertising. The Moderators will keep an eye on this and apply discretion.

Lastly, while advice will be offered in good faith, the posters, Moderators and Boards.ie take no responsibility for any damage or losses incurred. It is the responsibility of those receiving this advice to assess the merits of the information and to act accordingly. If in doubt seek other opinions elsewhere.

Hopefully this will be a useful service to this community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭manna452121

Make : Sigma

Item : Lens

Model :18-250 mm 1:3.5-6.3 Macro HSM

Fault : Hearing a sound as if a something is dropping within the lens.Also when I am looking thru the view finder sometimes it looks as if the picture has suddenly dropped.

Have this lens 1 year approx,no problem with picture quality.No damage caused to lens.

My camera is a Nikon D3200.

Any help or advise would be grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 TermoFix

Make : Sigma

Item : Lens

Model :18-250 mm 1:3.5-6.3 Macro HSM

Fault : Hearing a sound as if a something is dropping within the lens.Also when I am looking thru the view finder sometimes it looks as if the picture has suddenly dropped.

Have this lens 1 year approx,no problem with picture quality.No damage caused to lens.

My camera is a Nikon D3200.

Any help or advise would be grateful.
    Sounds like image stabilizer is failing, but I believe you have problem with aperture. Try to set F22 and make some shots in different zoom position. You should find out that sometimes aperture blades are not moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭glaswegian

make, canon.
    item,camera.
    model,eos400d
    fault,when i take a picture and then press the review button the screen flickers between the last taken shot and the information screen. this goes on for a few seconds till the flickering stops but then the review screen wont come on at all.also sometimes when i turn the camera off the green light stays on for a few seconds. this has been happening for the last fortnight.

thanks in advance,john.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stempsmalemps

Make: Pentax

Item:DSLR

Model: K30

Fault: Aperture motor fail. All photos come out under-exposed, although I have some success shooting at extremely high ISO in live-view mode. When manually adjusting the aperture and looking into the lens while taking a photo aperture size is always small. Is there a repair for this that isn't "you'd be as well to just buy a new camera" as a few shops in Dublin have helpfully responded. The camera is out of warranty so I'm not worried about voiding this.

When/how it happened:Happened suddenly from one day to the next - didn't drop or knock the camera.

Please help me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lochgorman

Model: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens

Fault: Lens dropped and fell apart

When/how it happened:
    I dropped it out of my camera bag and the lens came apart, i'm wondering can it be repaired and how much it would cost.
    Looking for places in galway that can do this job

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

Model: EF 50mm 1.4

Fault: Impact Damage, Lens not focusing/moving.

When/how it happened:
    Happened about two years ago now. Was a backup lens. Camera slipped out of my hand and fell about 3ft onto a hotelroom wooden floor. No cracks or external marks. For want of a better description it's like the lens has come off the focusing tracks. Looking for a repair/cost?
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 yorrin

My Sigma DG 150-350 5-6.3 lens has stopped working on auto focus and I tried it at the weekend on manual but could not take photo's with it can this be repaired and any idea on cost and where do I bring it to.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2 yorrin

Make: Sigma

Model: Dg 150 - 500mm

Fault: Auto focus not working

When/how it happened: Last week don't know what happened was working one minute then not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Hi, has anyone's Eoghans details? Need a lens repaired and I have mislaid his contacts.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Hi, has anyone's Eoghans details? Need a lens repaired and I have mislaid his contacts.
    Thanks
    http://f1camerarepair.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 TheFever

Hi,

I have a Canon and on one of my lenses the auto focus wont work. Just manual . Nothing happens when I click to take photo .

I wonder has anyone come across this before ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ceverino

Item: DSLR Body

Model: 5D mk2

Fault: Back panel feels ever so slightly loose just to the right of thumbwheel. Makes a slight soft click when pushed like there is a tiny gap underneath. Not affecting camera in any way but concerned if there is a loose screw would the weather proofing still function.

When/how it happened: No Idea. No drops or impacts. Great condition otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

It sounds like the screw just under the top. Right of the rear cover rubber grip is completely loose.

It's quite common for the screws in 5D Mk 2 and 7D Mk 1s to come loose internally from use.

Having the rear screw come loose is an easy fix but unfortunately it is a sign of other screws being loose internally.
    A service to threadlock all the screws would solve the issue and prevent reoccurance.

Give me a shout on Facebook on the F/1.0 Camera Repair page and I can have a look at it for you.
    I am not on boards much anymore so that's the easiest place to contact me.

Cheers!
    Ceverino wrote: »

Item: DSLR Body

Model: 5D mk2

Fault: Back panel feels ever so slightly loose just to the right of thumbwheel. Makes a slight soft click when pushed like there is a tiny gap underneath. Not affecting camera in any way but concerned if there is a loose screw would the weather proofing still function.

When/how it happened: No Idea. No drops or impacts. Great condition otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Make: Panasonic

Item: Compact Camera

Model: TZ90

Fault: It needs a replacement lens.

We are away travelling and had bought this camera specifically for that purpose. It was doing a great job until we got to a desert. As you can guess....sand got into the lens unit and did some damage. We have brought it to 4 different camera repair shops in 4 different countries. One guy said he cleaned out the sand from the lens but it needed a small replacement part inside of it which he didn’t have. So we left it at that and brought it to a guy in New Delhi . He said the first guy had made a balls of it and it would require a complete new lens. He would have been able to order one but the problem was we weren’t in the country long enough to wait for it. That’s been our problem in the the other shops we have checked. We are only in one place for a few days at a time before we move on. Is there anyway to source the part myself maybe?? I will have 3 weeks in Australia pretty soon. If o can get the part then I could bring it to a repair shop and hopefully they can swap it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

Make: Sigma

model: 17-35 2.8

Fault: Only works in manual and now won't zoom in past 20mm.

Camera 5d MK2.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭lostinNaas

Make: Panasonic

Item: compact camera

Model: Lumix DMC T270

Fault: "System Error (Focus)" displayed on screen. Lens jammed open.

When/how it happened:
    Assume some grit got into lens or shutter mechanism. Gave it a blast of compressed air and it worked again for a while.
    Now jammed at full zoom and air no longer works.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

Model: EFS 18-55mm 0.25m

Fault: Autofocus will not work.

When/how it happened:
    No drop.
    Manual focus works.
    I suspect dirt but cannot be sure.
    2 lenses doing the same thing.
    A 50mm lens does autofocus.
    I have now a second Canon camera and the same issue with this lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

Model: 35-80mm 0.4m

Fault: Autofocus will not work.

When/how it happened:
    No drop.
    Manual focus works.
    I suspect dirt but cannot be sure.
    2 lenses doing the same thing.
    A 50mm lens does autofocus.
    I have now a second Canon camera and the same issue with this lens. See previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭tony-od

Make Sony
    Model rx100 mk1
    Fault lens won't retract all the way and the screen says turn power on and off but that makes no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Canon 7d
    The programme dial to select TV, AV, Manual etc is moving but not changing programme. I can only change AV when shooting in C2.

Is this a simple fix or expensive fix?

Thanks Eoghan

Advertisement