Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

**** The Little Sisters of The Poor in Waterford Need Our Help ***

• 19-02-2010 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi All,
    The Little Sisters of Waterford need our support to help finish their new nursing home in Ferrybank which will be used to care for the elderly of Waterford and the South East. The building in Ferrybank has been a dream for the Little Sisters for many years and due the generosity of the community it has become reality. As you can see in the “the future” section of following link http://www.littlesisterswaterford.ie/ this is a large project and the Little Sisters have worked very hard to get it this far but need our support to finish the project and deliver the new facilities and well designed grounds to the Elderly of our community.

Please click here to donate to The Little Sisters of the Poor or use the following bank account to deposit donations:
    Account: 90119114
    Sort Code: 934135

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 magpie30

wonder if i can put my own bank details in there:p:P

just kidden of course

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Can you remind us again how much they got for that building on Bunkers hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Can you remind us again how much they got for that building on Bunkers hill.

I will, feck all, it is not sold

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 21 PonyLuv

Yeah because the nuns are def gonna just go squander any donations down in rubys at the weekend. Grow up, youd be changing your tune if you found yourself elderly and alone. They provide a much needed service in our county and I for one will be supporting them.

I was in the new place today and it is going to be one of the most beautiful buildings in the city. And these people deserve it.

They gave my grandmother a very dignified last few years in a very poor set up on Manor hill.

They deserve everything that goes their way.

• Advertisement

wellboy76 wrote: »
    I will, feck all, it is not sold

Is that so, wasn't aware of that, I though two local business men had big plans for that place a couple of years back, it was going to be turned in to apartments. So why are they holding on to it.

Am I right in aassuming that the original cost of this new development in ferrybank was going to cost in the region on 20m and they would have to come up with 1m locally before construction was to begin. The little sisters are a world wide organisation and get donations and coperate donations all the time, a bit like the chruch. Many eldery people die and leave them their life savings too.

I am merely stating that there are far worse of organisations out there that also need money and here we have one organisation building a state of the art building but yet still holding on to the existing building for whatever reason.

wellboy76 wrote: »
    I was in the new place today and it is going to be one of the most beautiful buildings in the city. And these people deserve it.

They gave my grandmother a very dignified last few years in a very poor set up on Manor hill.

They deserve everything that goes their way.

Again, I am not saying they don't deserve it, far from it to be honest, but they are an order that are still operating worldwide.

Is the old building up for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

How many nun's are left, and where are they living now.?

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Again, I am not saying they don't deserve it, far from it to be honest, but they are an order that are still operating worldwide.

Is the old building up for sale?

I am sure it is but with the crystal site up for sale, it is going to be very difficult to sell it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Bards

Seeing as their new building is technically in Kilkenny, just like Waterford Port, and the new Shopping centre, etc maybe you should post on the Kilkenny forums also:p

wonder how many donations you would get from there

• Advertisement

1/3 is in kilkenny but the rest in in Waterford so we can claim it!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭aws

Seems a fairly extravagant building for its purpose. just my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

aws wrote: »
    Seems a fairly extravagant building for its purpose. just my 2c

was thinking the very same. The timber trusses cost some serious bucks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 catherine2k

was thinking the very same. The timber trusses cost some serious bucks!!!
    Hopefully this building will be around for the next hundred years unlike most modern buildings which are fired together with cheap steel frames. Its also a hospital so what ever extra is spent now on quality materials will be saved later in heating bills and building maintenance. The rooms have also been designed to be as modern and confortable for the residents that will call this their home for their last years.

I for one support them investing well in the building to ensure the residents have all the comforts they require. So i will support them on this great project :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Poor Little Sisters of the Poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bobslifeforu

Hi All,
    The Little Sisters of Waterford have requested i post the following information in the hopes it will answer some of your questions and show the reason they need our support.

• The Building on Manor Hill has not been sold yet and is still home to many
      residents.
    • There are 20 Little Sisters in Waterford
    • In the new building there will be 50 Care Rooms, 22 apartments and facilities for a Luncheon Club - all for the Elderly.
    They have also requested me to advertise they are hosting a Coffee morning on the 10th April at Manor Hill from 10.00 - 12 noon, admission €5 which includes a chance to win the Raffle. So please pass on the word if you know anybody that would be interested.

Thanks for your support. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I think its great the they are doing this. Hopefully they get all the money they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wilde_37

This is a great cause which I will certainly support. The Sisters have taken care of many Waterford elderly over many many years - including many that I personally know. They deserve all the help they can get.

Advertisement