Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Small Craft Online Store

• 26-11-2014 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

guys just looking for some quick advice if possible.
    doing a small craft online store, tempted to just sign up with go-daddy or wix for their online store with theme and domain name etc ...
    there's the monthly charge and a transaction cost ...

is there a better / more cost effective solution I should look at ..

many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Etsy / Shopify / Squarespace / Wordpress (Woocommerce)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Avoid wix like the plague, and Weebly and iwebs. The ones above are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 moon1

Wordpress - easy to manage, you don`t need much experience, can learn fast.
    - SEO
    - with the help of some plugins you can make it secure for your customers
    - lots of templates free or payed wich could suit your needs depending of your project
    - all you have to pay is your domain and hosting plan, this can be done once a year

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dahayeser

moon1 wrote: »
    Wordpress - easy to manage, you don`t need much experience, can learn fast.
    - SEO
    - with the help of some plugins you can make it secure for your customers
    - lots of templates free or payed wich could suit your needs depending of your project
    - all you have to pay is your domain and hosting plan, this can be done once a year

I haven't a huge amount of experience with wordpress but I did pus a few sites out there using it in the past and while in many ways it was great just a couple of things to be aware of.

If you don't update with each wordpress release you will be hacked. There are bots constantly sniffing for out of date releases and uploading malware through known vulnerabilities.

Sometimes when you do upgrade wordpress form of the plugins you have installed may now work with the latest version. This is rare enough but it is something to be aware of when upgrading.

I suppose in short its an ongoing job and if you are not a developer yourself just be aware that you will need to be engaging a developer maybe 2 to 4 times a year to handle upgrading.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 vonievega

ebay sets up an nice shop. You could use WP and paypal to sell your crafts. No cash layout with pp. keep it simple.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

https://tictail.com/ is one I forgot, and it's free*.

Advertisement