Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stupid Questions

• 04-04-2014 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭

At school, nice mammy-type teachers used to say "there's no such thing as a stupid question" - presumably to stop us all slagging each other and to encourage curiosity. But it's the kind of thing I'd expect to see thrown over a picture of Einstein and shared online by people having a bad brain day.

I get that unexpected or eccentric questions are exactly what's needed for good hypotheses and findings, as well as design and works of art. But there are stupid questions, aren't there? Is that a stupid question in itself? :o

Today I opened a response to a group email, which had the time and venue of a forthcoming meeting in the subject line, and details of the agenda in the body. It was a query about the time and venue of our next meeting.

What's the stupidest question you have ever heard or read?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Stupidest question? What was that infraction for?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

"Is that why it's called pi? Because it's shaped like a pie?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Are you interested in two Coldplay tickets ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Stupid kids grow up to become stupid adults.

Id love to quote a few but an awful lot of my examples are on tech forums on boards and some of those just make baby jebus cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Zed Bank

Tzardine wrote: »
    Are you interested in two Coldplay tickets ?

Are you musically inept?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

I was once asked how many pork chops I ate for dinner, stupid stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭jiminho

Where is the RDS Working Abroad Expo on this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I got my mam a George Foreman grilling machine back in the day when they had just came out and were very popular.

"Oooh, very nice" she said. "oh that fella George Foreman, he's your man that plays the Banjo, isn't he?" she said.

Bless her. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Muise... wrote: »
    What's the stupidest question you have ever heard or read?

Question on US Immigration form: "Do you have any intention of aiding or abetting the overthrow of the US Government?"

Noel Coward is said to have answered "Sole purpose of visit".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

boogle wrote: »
    "Is that why it's called pi? Because it's shaped like a pie?"

my mind is boogling at a π-shaped pie. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

One of my posh young teenage students who spent a month or so in Ireland learning English asked me today, "Why do all Irish teenagers dress like macarras (the Spanish word for chavs)?".

She's full of stupid questions every week. I can't take anymore of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

What time is it ?
    Five.
    O'Clock ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Does growing that beard take much effort?

Quite the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

'Are ye closing?'

No I'm just putting the shutters up over the windows for the hell of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Can blind people see through a glass eye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Walking from the lounge were a football match was on TV back into the bar,some fella shouts at me
    "what's the score in their beano?"

"Nil nil"

"To who?"

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

"What date is New Year's Day on this year?"

beano345 wrote: »
    Walking from the lounge were a football match was on TV back into the bar,some fella shouts at me
    "what's the score in their beano?"

"Nil nil"

"To who?"

:confused:

Well I hope you told him what a stupid question that was!

It's "to whom?" ffs. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

An American woman in Edinburgh Castle overlooking the Forth River at Fife, is that France?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Ohhhhhh easily can think of my one i heard- was in sociology tutorial in college and was discussing "counter-cultures" and a hand goes up and one asks "would an example be like Micheal Flatley and Riverdance..?"

That or the time friend asked wood work teacher "How do trees get pregnant?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Friend walked in to a hairdressers and asked

'Do ye cut hair?'

Another time the same fella asked

'New Zealand,thats in Australia innit?'

FFS.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

My mother's friend is in Cuba on holidays at the moment. After telling me this, my mother then asked me "Is Cuba part of Russia or is it a country of its own?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Does God exist?

Does God exist?

That's actually a good question. It's mostly the answers that are stupid.

That's actually a good question. It's mostly the answers that are stupid.

Well when you rephrase it to "Are the people who started a belief in god based on a load of nonsense right". Then you can see the stupid side of the question itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Why?

Why?

Depends on whats meant by "God" I guess. Biblical god, Greek gods, the gods of all religions are just fairy tales. We all know this. So its stupid to wonder if they actually do exist. Its like wondering if Santa is real after finding out it was all made up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Give me an empty box.
    An empty box of what?

Well when you rephrase it to "Are the people who started a belief in god based on a load of nonsense right". Then you can see the stupid side of the question itself.

If you go and rephrase it that much, is it still the same question, Theseus? :p

Also, trying to understand the mind-blowing fantasticness of the universe and all that's in it is not a load of nonsense, even if you get it wrong.

• Advertisement

If you go and rephrase it that much, is it still the same question, Theseus? :p

Also, trying to understand the mind-blowing fantasticness of the universe and all that's in it is not a load of nonsense, even if you get it wrong.

Of course its the same question. Everything we know about god comes from what we humans invented about god. I dont think any rationally minded person would think its based on fact.

Also trying to understand the universe isnt a load of nonsense no. Its beliefs that developed based on myths and superstitions thats the nonsense. And its from those that belief in god comes. Angry giants in the sky, man in a chariot brings the sun every day type stuff.

But anyway I dont want to drag this thread into another religious debate so I'll leave my jibberings at that.

Advertisement