Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How did you score in your last round?? ... 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭clouter

Only really started golf last summer and hadnt played since September. Got a few lessons before Christmas and got out in Enniscorthy for 15 holes on Saturday.

98 for 15 holes!!

4 bogeys - 2 of which came in first 2 holes!!!
    3 D Bogeys
    8 Scratches

But its a start!! Hoping to join Enniscorthy this year. But for now more lessons needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Casual round. 37 for 16 off 18.

1 bird, 5 pars, 8 bogys and 2 doubles.

Chipped and putted well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I played so good I booked a lesson for tomorrow evening.

1par
    4bogeys
    The rest were doubles and triples, shocking day altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

Played Rathcore earlier today. I hit 43pt off 17hcap which was an 82 gross

9 Pars
    8 Bogeys
    1 Double Bogey

Very positive on the day was my driving consistency which was much improved. Using an R1 that was bought as a Xmas present.
    It could have been 2-3 shots better if I had sank a few putts that went close.
    It was a nice day but quite cold so I glad I did well.

Course was in great shape given the weather lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Neil Andblomee

Macker1 wrote: »
    Played Rathcore earlier today. I hit 43pt off 17hcap which was an 82 gross

9 Pars
    8 Bogeys
    1 Double Bogey

Very positive on the day was my driving consistency which was much improved. Using an R1 that was bought as a Xmas present.
    It could have been 2-3 shots better if I had sank a few putts that went close.
    It was a nice day but quite cold so I glad I did well.

Course was in great shape given the weather lately.
    That's the honeymoon period, enjoy!, it never lasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

:)

Very inspiring !

I reckon you don't get too many neil & blow me's :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Neil Andblomee

mafc wrote: »
    :)

Very inspiring !

I reckon you don't get too many neil & blow me's :D

I do, they just don't last very long:pac::pac:.

I do, they just don't last very long:pac::pac:.

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Joined Grange Castle yesterday and managed to play 15 holes .

Just as a matter of interest, which holes are not played? I'm a regular in GC during the summer as I only work across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, which holes are not played? I'm a regular in GC during the summer as I only work across the road.

All 18 are played, think Danny was out for a casual round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Played 12 last week couldn't manage a par... 9 this week and was -1...

This f%&king game remains a mystery! can't wait to play again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Barnaboy wrote: »

Yeah, as ParLance says men's comps tend to remain as 18 holes. The ladies play 14 holes & cut back from 14th green across 17th & down the lane that runs between the 1st/18th

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭lenihankevin

26pts for 14holes on sat..that included 2 scratches and a double..happy enough considering i'm playing only 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

To be fair I think that goes for most sports when a good patch is happening. You have to try your best to make the most of it. I had also shot 42pts around my home track at Grange Castle last week.

The main thing I'm concentrating on is playing smart and using my handicap of 17. Not taking on silly shots and playing safe when required. Apart from the driver going well another thing I will say is helping a lot is the GPS watch picked up at Xmas by the wife. As long as you know your actual shot distance and have reasonable certainty in how far you hit each club it takes most of the guesswork out of it.

Really looking forward to the new season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Shot +1 for the 9holes in a windy elmhall today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

Just got back from playing 18 holes at Ballyhaunis (9 hole course) and did it in 100 - considering I only started playing in September chuffed with that.

4 silly 7's load of 6's & 5 and three 4's - and no lost balls which was even better LOL

Played 9 holes this afternoon in beautiful winter sunshine.

6 pars
    1 birdie
    2 bogey's

Ended up + 1 after three putting the 9th,still happy enough !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Played 15 holes today. Played some suberb golf and some awful stuff too.

Went par, bogey, bogey, birdie, birdie, birdie, bogey, bogey, par, bogey, par, birdie, par, birdie, bogey. - 32 points.

Highlights ::
    3 birdies in a row.
    Driving the par 4, 14th hole to leave me a 15 foot eagle putt.

Lowlights::
    3 duffed chips on 7.
    2 duffed chips on 10.
    And 2 missed 3 footers on 3 & 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

First hit of the year! Played the front 9 in claremorris started off badly with a scratch but finished strongly with 4 pars out of the last 5 holes. Had 18 points. Chipping was very good, 3 of the pars were up and downs. Here's to a good 2014!!!

A lot of scratches today trying to get a feel for the new swing from the lesson. Gained more confidence at the end of the round. Had a chance of 5 pars and only made one of them, bogeyed the other 4.The rest were double and triple bogey.

Need at least another lesson with the driver, no sure how to set up with the new swing.

• Advertisement

Managed to play 18 today, putting was a little suspect , had 3 three putts. Driving was consistent as was wedge play, managed to get up and down 5 times.

Gross 80 (+9)

7 pars
    1 birdie
    10 bogey's
    33 putts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    A lot of scratches today trying to get a feel for the new swing from the lesson. Gained more confidence at the end of the round. Had a chance of 5 pars and only made one of them, bogeyed the other 4.The rest were double and triple bogey.

Need at least another lesson with the driver, no sure how to set up with the new swing.
    Be patient & stick with it. Can be too easy to fall back into old habits if you don't see immediate results after lessons.

Chances are it'll pay off in th belong run.

1st round of 2014 for me coming up on Sunday, can't wait to get back swinging

Be patient & stick with it. Can be too easy to fall back into old habits if you don't see immediate results after lessons.

I did for a few holes out of frustration then had a brain fart that it was exactly the reason I got the lesson for. I need much more practice, only 30minutes of a lesson and 45 minutes drilling it was never going to be enough for a big change.
    Best of luck, even playing bad its great to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

Dead right, only way to deal with it is to keep practicing, i myself only got a lesson recently over locking up my right knee and have spent the last 2 days in the range.....

1st day was hard and i was getting annoyed with myself but still stuck with it,
    2nd day (today) much better, still concentrated on every ball (hit 160 balls)
    Wasnt hitting my full distance but was just happy that the right knee is staying flexed.....

Give it time and get in the range :)
    Record each range day in a diary, pros cons etc, i find it helps,
    Also set small Goals for yourself and tick them off one by one,
    Most of all ENJOY it,
    Best of luck..!!

Dossy wrote: »
    Dead right, only way to deal with it is to keep practicing, i myself only got a lesson recently over locking up my right knee and have spent the last 2 days in the range.....

1st day was hard and i was getting annoyed with myself but still stuck with it,
    2nd day (today) much better, still concentrated on every ball (hit 160 balls)
    Wasnt hitting my full distance but was just happy that the right knee is staying flexed.....

Give it time and get in the range :)
    Record each range day in a diary, pros cons etc, i find it helps,
    Also set small Goals for yourself and tick them off one by one,
    Most of all ENJOY it,
    Best of luck..!!

Thanks, the diary thing sounds like a good idea. The pro said anytime its quiet to give him a shout and he'll look in on my and advise me on what im doing (free of charge) so its something im planning on doing.
    The biggest problem I have withe range is for the price of a basket I can play the local course on a monday lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Played Carne golf links today(belmullet). As my home course has bad flood damage from the storms carne offered all our members a free round today so headed down. Thank god it was free because I would be gutted if I forked out 30 yoyos and played as bad as I did.

Had 26 points. 15 on the front 11 on the back. Started very badly on the back nine, only getting 5 points for the first 6 holes. Still enjoyed it tho, lovely course and a great day for golf :)

@dan_ep82 how much is a bloody basket of balls!?!?! :O

etxp wrote: »
    Played Carne golf links today(belmullet). As my home course has bad flood damage from the storms carne offered all our members a free round today so headed down. Thank god it was free because I would be gutted if I forked out 30 yoyos and played as bad as I did.

Had 26 points. 15 on the front 11 on the back. Started very badly on the back nine, only getting 5 points for the first 6 holes. Still enjoyed it tho, lovely course and a great day for golf :)

@dan_ep82 how much is a bloody basket of balls!?!?! :O
    €4.50. €5 will get you out on Monday.

It know it sounds stingy but when yuo compare 1hr at the range or 4 playing golf its a hard choice on a Monday.

I did hit a basket this evening a felt much more comfortable with the changes which resulted in better strikes.

On your OP, I've played 3 free rounds, every one a uniquely bad round lol. It must be a thing

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Golf Partner and myself on home course: 95/99. About average for myself, but I only play for the nice ringing sound the golfball makes when it hits trees :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

84 strokes in Roscrea yesterday. First time there. Couldn't get over how dry it was underfoot. Not a bad course at all.

1 birdie
    5 pars
    11 bogeys
    1 treble

No 3 putt thanks to Dr. Bob

Just as I was beginning to think I could break 80 for the first time I sent my drive on 16 OB. Dropped 5 shots on the last 3 holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭dazza161989

First time out in four months today, shot a 2 over 74. Was pretty happy with it considering i havent been playing much. Wedge play was awful though!

Advertisement