Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Distant Worlds: Music from Final Fantasy

• 16-11-2012 2:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Was anyone else at this? It was on recently in London and Edinburgh, both were special concerts for Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary. I went to the London show with my girlfriend and it's my second time going.

My advice is that if you get the chance to go to one of these shows you really should. I was very impressed with the London show and the Royal Albert Hall is spectacular. I'll be a little bit negative about this show but it's just nitpicking since I felt the show before that wasn't for the 25th anniversary was the better one.

One of the best things about the Anniversary concert was that they tried out a lot of new material and there was also at least one song from each game. I was really excited to hear Battle with the Four Fiends from FF4 since I also thought it would sound great orchestrated. The main theme of FFV was another new song and another highlight.

Two problems I had with both performances were One Winged Angel and Eyes on Me. Both were excellently performed I've no complaints there. One Winged Angel is a fan favourite and is expected but I would have rather that they played something else from the FFVII soundtrack since this one always gets played. At the 25th anniversary concert it was the only FFVII track played. There's plenty of excellent pieces from FFVII I'd like to hear. Eyes on Me on the other hand is just hands down a dreadful pop song. Again FFVIII has a superb soundtrack and I'd love to hear more tracks from it (Balamb Garden wold be wonderful). Thankfully it wasn't the only track from FFVIII played, the battle theme from the game was present and was really well done.

My big disappointment is they didn't play Dancing Mad. At the first concert they played this and it was absolutely mind blowing. I think it's pretty much the best thing Uematsu has written and hearing all 15 minutes of it by a real orchestra gave me goosebumps. The first concert ended with One Winged Angel but it felt like an anti-climax after Dancing Mad. The thing about dancing mad is that being in the Royal Albert Hall we were very privileged to hear it. They can only play it in a handful of places in the world because it requires a pipe organ and the Royal Albert Hall really has an impressive instrument. I suppose they needed to be able to play all the same songs in all locations for the anniversary shows so its understandable but they better play it when they return.

One other thing, whatever about FFXIII it has a great soundtrack and the track they played sounded amazing.

One nice surprise was that not only was Nobuo Uematsu present as well as FFXII composer Masashi Hamauzu but so was Hironobu Sakaguchi, perhaps there's less bad blood now between him and Square Enix.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I've always liked listening to those albums, got into them along with the Black Mages a few months ago. I'd love to get the chance to go over and see it live.

That does sound a bit disappointing though. I've always loved listening to the main theme of FFVII and Aerith's theme, and I'd much prefer them over One-Winged Angel (And Liberi Fatali's better anyway :P). And I agree that Dancing Mad is really one of the best, it's a bit strange they'd leave it out.

Did they play Distant Worlds? I've never even played FFXI but damn that song is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

I was at the London show. Pretty much the same gripes as you. Very disappointed they didn't do Dancing Mad and I was surprised they didn't do Memoro De La Stono / Distant Worlds considering Susan Calloway was there. That said Answers was great and my GF loved it. Also, £25 for a program!!!

I definitely thought they would have mixed it up a bit more considering it was the 25th anniversary. I was at Symphonic Odysseys in Cologne and (despite it not being as good as Fantasies or Legends IMO) I thought it was much more exciting and enjoyable than Distant Worlds. If you are that kind of fan who has been listening to every soundtrack and live performance available, there is nothing new in the Distant Worlds Show.

That said, I loved the Opera!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think they had to keep the same set list for each venue and since not everywhere had the pipe organ they couldn't do dancing mad. I'm sure when they return and aren't constrained by a set list it will be a lot different.

I have to say I was very impressed with the FFXII song estersands. Would love to hear more Hitoshis Sakimoto by an orchestra. Perhaps they could sneak in some FF Tactics or Vagrant Story next tie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I'd like to go but I always miss when they're selling tickets.

I follow these kind of shows very closely, so I will post in this forum next time they are going on sale.

For Distant Worlds you should like their Facebook page. They generally give out news of shows a fair bit in advance of when tickets are on sale. There will most likely be performances in London and Edinburgh again around this time next year. Tickets went on sale during the summer if I remember right.

The final show in the Symphonic Series, "Final Symphony" is on in Germany again next year, but the best part is they are doing a performance in London at the end of May. This has never happened before. http://www.ffsymphony.com/

I only found out about this by stumbling on it and their facebook only updates in German, so I figure people haven't found out about it yet. There are loads of tickets left, while their previous shows sold out in about 2-3 hours. I have mine booked.

The Symphonic series are all about the music. There is no video display. The pieces are original compositions based on the games music. Basically they take music from the games and blend it into new pieces.

FF Medley

The other series to keep an eye out for is Symphony of the Goddess. Zelda!!! This is touring the US but they haven't given any dates for Europe. I would be very surprised if it doesn't make it over to London some time next year.

Edit: Apparently the tickets for the London show of Final Symphony just went on sale. They just announced it in english on their facebook. Randomly stumble on the site minutes before they announce it. What kind of luck was that!!!! https://www.facebook.com/spielemusikkonzerte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Hope it's ok to drag this thread up again.

I'm going to my first Distant Worlds concert in Paris on the 14th March next year, very excited about it. I've always only found out about them after they'd sold out. We're going over specifically for this so I hope it's worth it!

Anybody else going to one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Went to the final symphony one a few months ago in london. I really enjoyed it but a lot of people were disappointed that it was arrangements and not orchestrations of the original pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Don't suppose there's any chance of this ever coming to Ireland?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'd love it if they came to Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Ive only been to the one in London that retr0 originally posted about...would be very cool if they came to Dublin. Im thinking about maybe going to the one in Berlin early next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

finally it comes to time that i am going with my 2 brothers (that i promised since ages ago) and unsurprisingly the tickets are sold out for the November event in London >_<

is there any way to get 3 tickets (do people resell them somewhere) or is it possible to get in on the day?? Otherwise i will need to wait for next year i guess (jesus nobuo better comes).

Keep an eye on their facebook page. People sometimes put them up there. Maybe even post that you are looking for them.

I doubt that the full Distant worlds show would come to Dublin as we just dont have the space anywhere.

What might happen is that the "A new World: Distant Worlds" show would come here. I was at it in London in February and the idea seems to be a smaller scale show that could be performed in smaller venues.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/A_New_World:_intimate_music_from_Final_Fantasy

Advertisement