Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

jubella wrote: »
    Seriously? Saying a girl shouldn't dress, act or speak in a way so as to tempt her boyfriend isn't offensive? What about saying that you won't be a credit to you parents if you give it up? What about saying a man is weak for having sex? What about saying ?you're no longer decent if you have sex

How is this not offensive to anyone who makes the choice to have sex before marriage?
    1. I am apparently not responsible because I have had sex? That is insulting because I world like to think that my life choices add up to more than my sexual habits

2. My choices in clothes are the 'problem'. My boyfriend doesn't want to sleep with me because he'd like to, but because I'm leading him on with the clothes I wear. That's the same line that rapists have used.

3. I am a shame to my parents? Fcuk off. I'd like to think that I mean more to them than that.

I'm definitely insulted.

EDIT: I've just read the men's pamphlet. It refers to sex as fcuking payment. PAYMENT!

There are two very important things that need to be noted before I even start to discuss the inner details. Given that nearly everything starts with I or My it is clear that theses are things that are supposed to be read be someone who agrees with them to motivate themselves, similar to the commandments, they aren't saying if you do x you're a bad person. You apply each of these to yourself if you want to, none of them are comments on the general population, you can't really be offended by something that hasn't been applied to you. Each statement is clearly separate to the next, you can't just join them together to make it say what you want.

Saying how someone should dress, act and speak isn't offensive, it just defines a set of rules to live by, it doesn't make any comment on people who don't follow it.

Nowhere does it say "you won't be a credit to you parents if you give it up". What it says is "I wish always to be a credit to them". It doesn't mention any behaviour that would make you not a credit to them, hence not offensive.

Nowhere does it say "a man is weak for having sex" what is says is "Lack of self-control is a sign of weakness". I don't see any problem with that, whatever you want to take self-control to mean is up to you, if you want to apply it to sex that is a personal choice.

I can't see "you're no longer decent if you have sex" anywhere.

It doesn't say "I am apparently not responsible because I have had sex".

It doesn't say "My boyfriend doesn't want to sleep with me because he'd like to, but because I'm leading him on with the clothes I wear". It say "The way I dress, speak, act may be a temptation", completely different to how you have taken it. Can't see how that is offensive.

It doesn't say anyone is a shame to their parents. It says you should want to be a credit to them. It doesn't say what you have to take from that.

It doesn't refer to sex as a payment, it says "I shouldn't expect more as payment" it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume more means sex but even at that there is no problem with it, if we change it to 'I shouldn't expect sex as a payment' I think that is perfectly reasonable do you not? Do you think it is ok to expect sex from someone in return for taking them out?

"I'm definitely insulted", By what the handout said? or by what you claim it said in your post? Also insulted /= offended.

Talk about jumping to conclusions and seeing what you want to see. A lot of this is clearly naïve but I think claiming to be offended by it is OTT.

You've got to be focking joking!! No way. Believe in what you want to believe just dont thrust your morals on to me. ;)

I really have to pass through the arts block more often. It could become my new favourite place.

EDIT: lust is a capital sin?!! Pretty sure these people would burn me at the steak if they could read my mind walking around campus. Some of that is the most backwards things I've ever read. Who was giving out that crap?

It's great that they followed your rules so. From what I've heard they mostly stood back and just held the handouts in the hands extended like anyone ever hands out leaflets, you take it if you want and it wasn't forced on anyone. Amnesty as often much more aggressive with what they do in arts than these people.

I've protested against religious groups, I've had shouting matches with YouthDefense and other anti-necessary medical treatment (pro life) campaigners outside the GPO, I hate most religious people but I really can't see a problem with what was going on.

Yep lust is a sin and that is a fact, luckily sins don't apply to you if you're not Christian so you should be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

@GarIT

All you're basing this on is the wording of the sentences, the meaning behind them is the same.
    Just a few points:
    GarIT wrote: »
    Saying how someone should dress, act and speak isn't offensive, it just defines a set of rules to live by, it doesn't make any comment on people who don't follow it.

Saying that the way a girl dresses, speaks or acts will 'tempt' a man is most certainly offensive.
    Nowhere does it say "you won't be a credit to you parents if you give it up". What it says is "I wish always to be a credit to them". It doesn't mention any behaviour that would make you not a credit to them, hence not offensive.
    The whole leaflet is about celibacy/preserving your virginity. I think it is quite clear that they mean if you have sex, you are somehow less of a credit to your parents.
    It doesn't say "My boyfriend doesn't want to sleep with me because he'd like to, but because I'm leading him on with the clothes I wear". It say "The way I dress, speak, act may be a temptation", completely different to how you have taken it. Can't see how that is offensive.
    I have no words here... I really don't know how you don't understand how this is offensive.

It doesn't refer to sex as a payment, it says "I shouldn't expect more as payment" it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume more means sex but even at that there is no problem with it, if we change it to 'I shouldn't expect sex as a payment' I think that is perfectly reasonable do you not? Do you think it is ok to expect sex from someone in return for taking them out?
    The fact that it even talks about sex being some kind of payment for a date... So what if someone decides to have sex after a date? Do these people view it as a kind of payment? Sure it couldn't possibly be about mutual enjoyment like...
    "I'm definitely insulted", By what the handout said? or by what you claim it said in your post? Also insulted /= offended.
    Now you're just being pedantic.

@GarIT

All you're basing this on is the wording of the sentences, the meaning behind them is the same.
    Just a few points:

Saying that the way a girl dresses, speaks or acts will 'tempt' a man is most certainly offensive.

The whole leaflet is about celibacy/preserving your virginity. I think it is quite clear that they mean if you have sex, you are somehow less of a credit to your parents.

I have no words here... I really don't know how you don't understand how this is offensive.

The fact that it even talks about sex being some kind of payment for a date... So what if someone decides to have sex after a date? Do these people view it as a kind of payment? Sure it couldn't possibly be about mutual enjoyment like...

Now you're just being pedantic.

I don't have time to give a full reply now but I don't think you understand the them offend. Most of this is annoying/ignorant/naive but not offensive. It is not possible to be offended by something that hasn't been applied to you, its just the way offense works. For example you have three people in a room, person 1 and 2 are white and person is black, if person 1 says "I don't like you you're black" to person 3, person 2 cant be offended because it doesn't apply to them, they can be annoyed, furious, outraged or whatever but if it's not about you, you cant be offended. Everything in the handout were things you read to yourself not general statements. Most of them are idiotic, none were offensive.

I don't have time to give a full reply now but I don't think you understand the them offend. Most of this is annoying/ignorant/naive but not offensive. It is not possible to be offended by something that hasn't been applied to you, its just the way offense works. For example you have three people in a room, person 1 and 2 are white and person is black, if person 1 says "I don't like you you're black" to person 3, person 2 cant be offended because it doesn't apply to them, they can be annoyed, furious, outraged or whatever but if it's not about you, you cant be offended. Everything in the handout were things you read to yourself not general statements. Most of them are idiotic, none were offensive.

Ah jesus, so this is all over our use of the word "offensive"?
    Any definition I can find of the word offensive gives me something along the lines of "causing someone to feel resentful, upset, or annoyed".
    So yes, I find these leaflets offensive.

I accept that you may not find them offensive, but that doesn't mean others don't

• Advertisement

Ah jesus, so this is all over our use of the word "offensive"?
    Any definition I can find of the word offensive gives me something along the lines of "causing someone to feel resentful, upset, or annoyed".
    So yes, I find these leaflets offensive.

Pretty much, the reason being, if something was offensive it would be wrong for them to be there the duty of the SU to try to have it removed from the college, if it's annoying, the students may want it removed but it wouldn't be obligatory to have them stopped. While it's not something I particularly want in the college, I can't see grounds for the removal of them.

That would be the definition of offensive, but you have to apply context first. Offence is specifically those feelings but as a result of some form discrimination. Usually implying there is something wrong with a trait of the offended person.

Pretty much, the reason being, if something was offensive it would be wrong for them to be there the duty of the SU to try to have it removed from the college, if it's annoying, the students may want it removed but it wouldn't be obligatory to have them stopped. While it's not something I particularly want in the college, I can't see grounds for the removal of them.

That would be the definition of offensive, but you have to apply context first. Offence is specifically those feelings but as a result of some form discrimination. Usually implying there is something wrong with a trait of the offended person.

Agree to disagree so! Offence is subjective.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I think that you're just looking to disagree GarIT. You won't be getting any response from me. I've already made my point and I stand by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I'm not offended but I can see why people would be. I'm just more shocked people still (cough cough) swallow this rubbish. Half of them are probably fondling each other after mass.

Sex as payment ? Where do I sign up?

I think that you're just looking to disagree GarIT. You won't be getting any response from me. I've already made my point and I stand by it.

I'm hardly just looking to disagree, I agree with nearly everything other than 2 points. As long as they're not harassing people or anything like Amnesty do I don't see a problem with them being there and I can't see how offence could be used to describe what was written. The problem with offence is that offence implies discrimination, and if it is discrimination there are rules against them being there. It appears you are taking offence from what you argue is discrimination against people that engage in sex outside of marriage, however I see it as rules you may choose to live by rather than a comment on people that don't live by those rules. IMO it being a comment on people is a conclusion readers are drawing themselves rather than it actually being there directly or even immediately implicitly. If you don't want to discuss it fair enough.

They annoy me just as much as the nest person though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Anyone else find it very creepy that these people are at a certain level of religious devotion which is pretty above average compared to most and they have nothing better to do than tell people what to do about sex? Can't think of anything maybe a little more worthwhile as "Christians" to talk about. I mean work at a mission outreach or a charity event or something that actually helps someone and is a good action, not try sell an outdated form of morality to students (students of all people, tis loltacular). If there is a god I strongly doubt he/she is particularly bothered about what people do in the bedroom compared to genuinely evil and horrific acts which happen around the world every day.

And the flyers are insulting in that they are a step away from saying if you have sex before marriage you are a sinful whore so cover up and don't think about sex. "Lust is a capital sin" I mean bloody that is basically thought crime. But then again from the few people I seen at the stall these are some of the same people who have their theology books on their lap in my philosophy lectures in case the lecturer gets too "liberal".

• Registered Users Posts: 48 quaverlou

I probably shouldn't say too much but some battles came out of C&S council on Monday that seem to be growing. I'll keep an eye on it and see what I can find out! :D

Hi All,

Anybody that has any concerns or questions in relation to Clubs and Societies can contact me directly at vpcsud@nuimsu.com or in the office.

We have nothing to hide or anything to find out.
    Battles are growing because certain individuals want them to. Anyone that acts a certain way and demeans the importance of Clubs and societies and clubs and societies council and the individuals that take time out of their day to attend these meetings and organise events to better the student experience in Maynooth will not be taken lightly by any of our team.

Clubs and Socieities are the hub of activity on campus, they are highly respected bodies and the individuals that run them are highly respected, therefore when a certain individual does not show this respect measures must be taken.
    I will not have any clubs or societies members feeling disrespected or have their work undermined and in turn I will also not have the work of the Students Union undermined.

The SU operates an open door policy and full transparency so again if you have any concerns or questions do not hesitate to contact myself or our team.

Lou

andrew369 wrote: »
    Anyone else find it very creepy that these people are at a certain level of religious devotion which is pretty above average compared to most and they have nothing better to do than tell people what to do about sex? Can't think of anything maybe a little more worthwhile as "Christians" to talk about. I mean work at a mission outreach or a charity event or something that actually helps someone and is a good action, not try sell an outdated form of morality to students (students of all people, tis loltacular). If there is a god I strongly doubt he/she is particularly bothered about what people do in the bedroom compared to genuinely evil and horrific acts which happen around the world every day.

And the flyers are insulting in that they are a step away from saying if you have sex before marriage you are a sinful whore so cover up and don't think about sex. "Lust is a capital sin" I mean bloody that is basically thought crime. But then again from the few people I seen at the stall these are some of the same people who have their theology books on their lap in my philosophy lectures in case the lecturer gets too "liberal".

I've a good one on outdated views for you. A woman in my physics lecture last year was ranting about discrimination last year because the lecturer told her that the world is not 6,000 years old, she actually had an argument with the lecturer from near the back of a full iontas in the middle of the lecture, the really funny part is that the lecture was on earth science and how to tell how old the earth is. The lecturer proved and showed evidence as to how old the earth was and this woman still refused to believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I suppose if we're going to go by GarIT's brand new non-dictionary criteria that you're only allowed to be offended by something if it's aimed at you... well, I am both a member of one of the sexes (male) and have sex (though sadly not often). I was thus highly offended by the sexism in those pamphlets. I'm also a human being, last I checked, and I was offended at the clear lack of respect for what I believe to be the basic rights of human beings by attempting to shift responsibility for person A's actions away from A and onto person B, and then to potentially blame person B if anything should go wrong. I am also a person with particular moral standards, and as such I was offended by pamphlets that suggest that my moral standards are not up to scratch.

If other people are not offended by sexism, or don't understand being offended by sexism, and then refuse to engage with the arguments in those pamphlets other than on a hyper-literal and superficial level which neither acknowledges the obvious subtext nor actually helps their argument be remotely convincing, that's not something I can help them understand. Mind you, I'm assuming the subtext is obvious because it was obvious to me and it's obvious to everyone else bar you. This is not a case of jumping to conclusions. Those pamphlets make some very particular arguments, despite how shallowly you insist on reading them. Those arguments are offensive, clearly, to a number of people in this thread.

However, if we're all using the word 'offensive' incorrectly, you might want to consider letting the people who write dictionaries know this. If what we're experiencing currently is not to be called being offended, could you perhaps offer an alternative which adequately portrays our sense of anger, moral outrage, irritation, annoyance and, dare I say it, offense?

I have to get back to my essay. I'd rather pick through those pamphlets line by line and point out to you every single thing wrong with them... but I won't get marked for that.

Let's not get into the evening debate again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I'm not sure what you're talking about. This is only just after late afternoon, more a prevening than an evening. Like a brunch but later. But with tea. Maybe we could call it a teavening.

@GarIT, my apologies for getting angry at you, it was a combination of those pamphlets making me angry and my essay being an essay, and I shouldn't take it out on others.

mickstupp wrote: »
    I suppose if we're going to go by GarIT's brand new non-dictionary criteria that you're only allowed to be offended by something if it's aimed at you... well, I am both a member of one of the sexes (male) and have sex (though sadly not often). I was thus highly offended by the sexism in those pamphlets. I'm also a human being, last I checked, and I was offended at the clear lack of respect for what I believe to be the basic rights of human beings by attempting to shift responsibility for person A's actions away from A and onto person B, and then to potentially blame person B if anything should go wrong. I am also a person with particular moral standards, and as such I was offended by pamphlets that suggest that my moral standards are not up to scratch.

If other people are not offended by sexism, or don't understand being offended by sexism, and then refuse to engage with the arguments in those pamphlets other than on a hyper-literal and superficial level which neither acknowledges the obvious subtext nor actually helps their argument be remotely convincing, that's not something I can help them understand. Mind you, I'm assuming the subtext is obvious because it was obvious to me and it's obvious to everyone else bar you. This is not a case of jumping to conclusions. Those pamphlets make some very particular arguments, despite how shallowly you insist on reading them. Those arguments are offensive, clearly, to a number of people in this thread.

However, if we're all using the word 'offensive' incorrectly, you might want to consider letting the people who write dictionaries know this. If what we're experiencing currently is not to be called being offended, could you perhaps offer an alternative which adequately portrays our sense of anger, moral outrage, irritation, annoyance and, dare I say it, offense?

I have to get back to my essay. I'd rather pick through those pamphlets line by line and point out to you every single thing wrong with them... but I won't get marked for that.

I don't really want to get into this again, I think its clear nearly everyone disagrees with me. Just in reply to what you have said, it is obvious that the theme of those is sex and some things are implied but I think some people are taking more from it than what is there, they think the opposite of me. I just want to ask one question though. It is undisputable that these are three things 1. a set of morals/rules and 2. written from the readers perspective. 3. intended to be something that a Christian might say to themselves. So my question, is it wrong that people might have these morals and think like that, or is it just wrong that they have been written down? and why is it whichever one it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Personally, I think its obscene that people are peddling these views in the 21st century. I can understand why people took offence.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. This is only just after late afternoon, more a prevening than an evening. Like a brunch but later. But with tea. Maybe we could call it a teavening.

@GarIT, my apologies for getting angry at you, it was a combination of those pamphlets making me angry and my essay being an essay, and I shouldn't take it out on others.

I think the evening debate was when I disagreed with a few people over when the evening is.

No bother, I do it all the time :P relax and go do your essay, come back for a debate later :P

I don't really want to get into this again, I think its clear nearly everyone disagrees with me. Just in reply to what you have said, it is obvious that the theme of those is sex and some things are implied but I think some people are taking more from it than what is there, they think the opposite of me. I just want to ask one question though. It is undisputable that these are three things 1. a set of morals/rules and 2. written from the readers perspective. 3. intended to be something that a Christian might say to themselves. So my question, is it wrong that people might have these morals, or is it just wrong that they have been written down? and why is it whichever one it is?

It's wrong that they're trying to force them onto onto other people and insult those people in the process.

That's something for mass or Bible studies not the Arts Block

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Omg, those pamphlets.... Let's just say that it would have been interesting to debate some of those points with the people handing them out.

Seren_ wrote: »
    Omg, those pamphlets.... Let's just say that it would have been interesting to debate some of those points with the people handing them out.

It's wrong that they're trying to force them onto onto other people and insult those people in the process.

That's something for mass or Bible studies not the Arts Block

Were they forced on anyone though? I thought it was a kind of take it and read it if you want like most other leaflet things.

So you are saying that your problem is with them trying to spread what they think rather then with them thinking it?

As I said I don't like religion but IMO they have as much right to be there as say the pro choice stand from a few weeks ago.

Were they forced on anyone though? I thought it was a kind of take it and read it if you want like most other leaflet things.

So you are saying that your problem is with them trying to spread what they think rather then with them thinking it?

As I said I don't like religion but IMO they have as much right to be there as say the pro choice stand from a few weeks ago.

I have no problem with them encouraging chastity if that is what they believe in and they are free to do that in the college. I do have a problem with the offensive ****e that they had written on the pamphlets that they handed out.

Insulting people is not the way to encourage people to join your cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

It wasnt the pro life stuff that was the issue, it was the guilt tripping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

This is now my favourite word. We must have a teavening

But wow those pamphlets are wack.

Why is the implication that it's the men who initialise sex? And how it's in essence blaming how women dress for making a dude horny?

Oh backwards backwards people. Also the use of the American spelling of honour irked me. Granted the Latin is spelt with an or rather than an our but still.....IRKSOME

I have no problem with them encouraging chastity if that is what they believe in and they are free to do that in the college. I do have a problem with the offensive ****e that they had written on the pamphlets that they handed out.

Insulting people is not the way to encourage people to join your cause.

They just gather more hate towards them for going about it in such an aggressive way. Some people may have actually thought it would be a good idea to try if they had laid it out in a less insulting manner. Didn't even have to openly involve religion in it just hand out flyers putting forward an idea.
    Pudsy33 wrote: »

The worst thing about that is you never know who has had an abortion in college. Can't imagine many people would want an abortion but circumstances force them to it. Having a group of people who are so openly judgmental towards people who have had to get one could be very upsetting for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Everyone has a right to hand out their leaflets and I wouldn't stop or complain about that. Sure I wouldn't even try stop FF/FG members peddling their rubbish but if you are going to hand that stuff out you better be prepared to back up what you say and argue your points.

No way would I have just walked by and said nothing. It's a university it's a place for debate.

I just hope they would have stuck around for the extra half hour because that's how long I'd have been on the ground laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

freedom of speech

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Pudsy33 wrote: »

For me it was the implied victim-blaming. :mad:

Advertisement