Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What JRPG are you currently playing?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh it gets an awful lot worse. Couple that to the fact that Squall is probably the most unlikeable protagonist ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Ok, so I've gotten over the ps1 clunkiness and general sluggishness of final fantasy tactics and actually started to enjoy the game!

That is, until I hit the first ridiculously upward sloping difficulty curve. This game is horribly unbalanced. I can't believe that this got beyond a test team, let alone a "remake" test team.

I'd accept it if it was just a difficult battle which requires clever tactics and thought to win. Instead its a battle where you're quite simply out-numbered, out-levelled, out-abilitied, out-equipped and out-magicked. The only option is to level up in the random locations (of which there is only one because I'm stuck in a small portion of the map) until I have a chance of winning the battle.

Annoyingly, I did actually manage to win the battle but lost a few characters which I didn't want to lose so I'm trying again.

Other than that I am enjoying it though :P

Job system allows for really customised characters. Could do with one more ability slot in every category though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It only gets worse from there! There's loads of difficulty spikes and then a massive difficulty drop right before the end. My advice is to concentrate on a small band of characters you will take with you through the whole game. You will get some unique characters later on that are too good to pass on. Also you'll get some really terrible ones. You'll have to be harsh and drop some squad members when a better replacement comes in and get rid of the weak characters even if they are unique.

Play as many random battles as you can. I like to do the pub missions and go for a wander so even though you are grinding you are aiming towards something. Also if you come across a boss character the best way to beat them is to steal their best equipment. Not only does it severely weaken them it will also get you some crazy powerful equipment that is essential to beating the game imo.

Also multiple save files. If the game asks you to save when two story missions come one after the other this usually means there's a boss fight and you can end up screwing yourself over if you aren't levelled up enough of haven't bought the right status negating equipment in the shops.

If you lose a character then restart, the time it takes to train up a new character from level 1 isn't worth it.

As for the job system, it's fantastic. It's great to play around with it and t can be great fun breaking the game.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It only gets worse from there! There's loads of difficulty spikes and then a massive difficulty drop right before the end. My advice is to concentrate on a small band of characters you will take with you through the whole game. You will get some unique characters later on that are too good to pass on. Also you'll get some really terrible ones. You'll have to be harsh and drop some squad members when a better replacement comes in and get rid of the weak characters even if they are unique.

Play as many random battles as you can. I like to do the pub missions and go for a wander so even though you are grinding you are aiming towards something. Also if you come across a boss character the best way to beat them is to steal their best equipment. Not only does it severely weaken them it will also get you some crazy powerful equipment that is essential to beating the game imo.

Also multiple save files. If the game asks you to save when two story missions come one after the other this usually means there's a boss fight and you can end up screwing yourself over if you aren't levelled up enough of haven't bought the right status negating equipment in the shops.

If you lose a character then restart, the time it takes to train up a new character from level 1 isn't worth it.

As for the job system, it's fantastic. It's great to play around with it and t can be great fun breaking the game.

I finally see the light! So, I managed to clear the two difficult levels yesterday (the gallows and the castle gates) and it went even better than I could have imagined. I've stolen the guys sword (which is strong and absorbs HP) and one of the summoners dropped a crystal which my own summoner picked up and learned 4 summons for free!

I just hope that the rest of the battles aren't too easy now that I've leveled up quite a bit. Pity it doesn't allow more than 5 characters per battle because I have 6 solid characters now and finding it hard to choose.

I'm starting to appreciate how good this game must have been when it came out

God that gallows fight really gave me loads of trouble as well! There's a really nasty boss fight coming up followed by a fight with 3 ninjas that is notoriously tough. The fight with the ninjas I'm sure is fixed because in the PS1 version unless you doing two things that are really obscure then you usually lose the fihgt before it even begins!

As I said, watch out for equipment carried by boss characters. There's a fight with one female boss who carries an accessory that when equipped to a female character automatically revives them making them invincible. It also makes the battle a whole lot easier since she tends to revive herself with it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 HarbinSnowfall

Finally started up Eternal Sonata. It's as generic and medium as most people have said. Nothing really sticks out so far.

Though I must say one thing, a story about Chopin is by default awesome.

I must get back to eternal sonata, was really enjoying it and it made me a fan of Chopin.

I'm playing the game that started it all, Dragon Quest 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

Finished Digital Devil Saga this morning. Going to start Final Fantasy XII or Digital Devil Saga 2 in a little while.

Playing through Tales of Vesperia as well atm. Story is no where near as good as Symphonia's but the combat is so much better. Judith's air combos are so much fun.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm stuck in vesperia on the boss with the bats in the cave,can't beat the ****er.

Currently playing xenoblade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Dragon Quest VI.

But I want to be playing Dragon Quest V!

EDIT: And now I've just seen that Amazon.com have V for $20 dollars. Ordered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jazzkamiden

Xenoblade :D

And is DQIX a JRPG? Because I'm still grinding to beat that final boss...

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Currently playing Etrian Odyssey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Currently playing FFX-2

So much girlishness >.<

Just finished Final Fantasy Tactics yesterday. Despite taking a while to get into it, and despite its random spikes of difficulty, I did enjoy it in the end. Though the difficulty disappears when Orlandeu joins the party (and he's not even an optional sidequest character - he joins you no matter what!).

I really feel the game needs a rebalance if it is to be appreciated in the modern era. (I'm thinking here about the ipad/iphone release). Something tells me it'll just be another port though, like the psp version.

Next games in my sight are Persona 2 psp and FF Type O. But since they won't be released for another while I think I'll give Jeanne D'arc another run through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Currently playing FFX-2

So much girlishness >.<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F78Ac8XQw9k&feature=related

Maybe it's just too fabulous for you.

:pac:

animaX wrote: »
    Just finished Final Fantasy Tactics yesterday. Despite taking a while to get into it, and despite its random spikes of difficulty, I did enjoy it in the end. Though the difficulty disappears when Orlandeu joins the party (and he's not even an optional sidequest character - he joins you no matter what!).

I really feel the game needs a rebalance if it is to be appreciated in the modern era. (I'm thinking here about the ipad/iphone release). Something tells me it'll just be another port though, like the psp version.

I heard they rebalanced it for the PSP version? Looks like they didn't bother then. Some of those difficulty spikes were insane indeed. Did the fix the insanely difficult fight with Velius and also the level afterwards where you have to save Rafa? In the PS1 version two of the 3 enemies moved so fast that they would kill Rafa before any character in your party got a chance to move. The only to beat the level was to have a ninja in your party equiped with an obscure accessory to bring his speed stat up to 9 or else de-equip your main character of all armour so that the AI attacks you and not Rafa.

Some of the difficulty spikes in the game were crazy. I remember a fight during some of the hardest battles in the game were the enemy boss just runs straight at your team and makes himself easily picked off for an easy win while the rest of the battles were really difficult. Also Orlandu really is an I win button, it's insane how easy he makes the game!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I heard they rebalanced it for the PSP version? Looks like they didn't bother then. Some of those difficulty spikes were insane indeed. Did the fix the insanely difficult fight with Velius and also the level afterwards where you have to save Rafa? In the PS1 version two of the 3 enemies moved so fast that they would kill Rafa before any character in your party got a chance to move. The only to beat the level was to have a ninja in your party equiped with an obscure accessory to bring his speed stat up to 9 or else de-equip your main character of all armour so that the AI attacks you and not Rafa.

Some of the difficulty spikes in the game were crazy. I remember a fight during some of the hardest battles in the game were the enemy boss just runs straight at your team and makes himself easily picked off for an easy win while the rest of the battles were really difficult. Also Orlandu really is an I win button, it's insane how easy he makes the game!

Can't quite remember the one you mention above but a lot of the ones where you had to protect a character were difficult. Especially when they refuse to hide and try to go out and attack!

One of the more silly things I had to do to win a battle (against Belias i think) was to run around the map for over an hour trying to boost my speed stat at every turn. It was a one-on-one battle (which then turned into a full battle with an impossibly strong enemy) but the key fact was that your stats from the first one-on-one battle carried over into the full battle. I ended up having to max out my speed and power stats so when it came to the full battle I was so quick that I had an instant move and just destroyed the enemy in one hit :P

Towards the end, I would be disappointed when there was a "defeat X-person to win" battle because I would just send Orlandeu to kill the enemy without anyone else doing anything! I had also create some cool unique characters (Arithmetic was a great class) but never got to use them. I managed to recruit balthier from FFXII and he was really strong too, second only to Orlandeu. Recruited cloud from FFVII but he was weak, for some reason he joined the team with level 1 (most other characters would join at whatever level you were at)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

One on One battles are always bull in SRPG's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

just started blue dragon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Playing record of agarest wars zero atm, it's better than the first and has some fun characters and story, they took out the crappy dungeons too, there's still WAY too many unskippable battles though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Started up Xenoblade, I can see why people are liking it.

Started playing Rhapsody: A musical Adventure for psx. Seems very fun so far. Extremely easy though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

On Final Fantasy VIII disc 2 at the moment. Squall is actually the complete ball bag he's been made out to be. I'm feeling a bit sympathetic for him but yeah, this is definitely the Twilight of video games.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Finished Mother 3 last night. It was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Little Yellow

On Final Fantasy VIII disc 2 at the moment. Squall is actually the complete ball bag he's been made out to be. I'm feeling a bit sympathetic for him but yeah, this is definitely the Twilight of video games.
    Replaying this as well. Just on the missile base part. I remember now that I really hated Draw. Still do ;)

megaten wrote: »
    Finished Mother 3 last night. It was good.

Wasn't it :) Although talking to my girlfriend about it I'm starting to think Earthbound was better. Mother 3 was certainly the better game but storywise I think earthbound was less obvious about it's themes and more ambiguous and fact that it took the entire game before it came together was a brave decision.

Still, both are pretty much essential to any RPG fan.

I thought both mother 1 and Earthbound handled their endings better to be honest. Mother 3's was heart-wrenching but I was surprised that there was no clear closure like the first two games.
    I do think Mother 3 is a better game overall. It's well paced and I enjoyed the greater focus on characters.

Yeah the chapter system that is also used in Dragon Quest 4 kept it really nicely paced.

I had a long hard think about the ending and came up with a conclusion to what it's all about, maybe you'll agree with me:
    The whole game is about getting on with your life and not getting hung up on the past. From Flint being a bad father since he gets obsessed with looking for Claus to the people of Tazmily village stuck in their ways forever due to the past being blocked from their minds and many other characters are the same. The magypsies are the exception and accept their fate. I see the ending as Lucas getting on with his life when he pulls the needle. the world is destroyed but they aren't all dead, I think it symbolises Lucas leaving his past behind and starting anew.

Anyway, would like to hear your thoughts. I actually thought it was a very brave ending and totally unexpected. I also loved how
    the masked mans identity was really obvious but this was actually a part of the writing were it was obvious to flint and lucas as well but they just wouldn't accept it, another example of the past affecting people that can't let go and get on with life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Replaying this as well. Just on the missile base part. I remember now that I really hated Draw. Still do ;)

Yeah, it can be a real put off to using magic. If I have 100 of any spell, I'm really reluctant to use it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

If you junction properly and abuse the +1 a level stat boosts that GF's give you when you you concentrate on the stat% abilities then there's absolutely no reason to use anything other than physical attacks throughout the game. It's a problem with FFVIII, it you don't understand how the game works is an absolute bore summoning GF's all the time. If you understand it it's easy to break and it becomes a total breeze.

Advertisement