Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesco - Large Lily O'Brien's was 25 now 6.50

• 29-12-2010 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭

For those who are into chocs - Tesco were selling off those overpriced boxes from Thorntons, Lily O'Briens etc today in Mahon Point (and everywhere I presume)

There was one in particular took my fancy - but I was warned off by Herself pointing at my comfort-fit Levi's!
    It was a very large flat "chocolate box" format box of Lily O'Briens - don't know weight - think it was a single layer. According to the SEL it was €6.50 (or about that) - reduced from €25-ish ! - I think you'd have to be insane or feeling very guilty to pay €25 for it. but at €6-ish I could happily pig-out. There seemed to be quite a few piled up in the store - suspect the luxury choccie makers will have had a disappointing Christmas. They had most other boxes of chocs reduced by 50%.

I haven't seen anybody else doing a major clearout of Christmas stuff yet - maybe they will wait till after New Year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

In mahon a few christmas chocolates were 75% off-christmas chocolate bars (about 24c), christmas chocolate decorations (around 40c)and a few other similar things. They also had halloween fondant egg type things for 1c!! (like cadbury creme eggs) BBE is Feb 2011 for them.

Aldi were reducing christmas stock like crackers/wrapping paper/cakes etc. Also pet stockings (with treats for cats or dogs) to €1.29 and they had reduced those big boxes of doggy treats to €3.49, think they were around €10 before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,887 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Even Better!! Those Lily O Briens are now a FIVER! In Galway anyway. Got two boxes.
    Also if you end up sick after eating them they have 2x2litres of Lucozade (flashed package saying 4euro) reduced to 3euro.

Edit: Correction. Its actually the Huge boxes of Thorntons Chocs that are a fiver. Originaly 18euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Forgot to add that they had loads of 30ml bottles of Kate Moss perfume for €6.25 in Tesco, Mahon. Went for this instead of the Thorntons choccies!
    419HKmNZINL._AA160_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Check the expiry date on the Thorntons chocs. Well worth the €5 as the expiry is May 2011 on all the ones I checked in Tesco Extra Clare Hall, so that's a few boxes sorted for Easter.

There is a recession on after all !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Tesco had plenty of their confectionary reduced on St Stephens Day (or the day after) - biscuits, jellies etc.

Picked up a big jar of Maom sweets and another big jar of various Haribo sweets for €3.50. Big box of cookies for €2 etc,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jessica Fletcher

lindtee wrote: »
    Forgot to add that they had loads of 30ml bottles of Kate Moss perfume for €6.25 in Tesco, Mahon. Went for this instead of the Thorntons choccies!
    419HKmNZINL._AA160_.jpg

Was just popping in to post this :D It's reduced from €25, and it's currently €26 in The Perfume Shop downstairs in Mahon Point

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭flan59

Check the expiry date on the Thorntons chocs.
    Saw chocs last week in Tesco Waterford with an October 2010 exp date, they probably put all the rubbish out for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

flan59 wrote: »
    Check the expiry date on the Thorntons chocs.
    Saw chocs last week in Tesco Waterford with an October 2010 exp date, they probably put all the rubbish out for Christmas
    I'm surprised by this, TBH. They are usually very careful not to let anything go on sale with an expired "best by" date, for fear of being sued. "Seasonal" stuff is discounted heavily once the event has passed, the exact amount depends on the arrangements with the supplier. Some premium suppliers do not like to see their stuff going cheap and will take it back for credit, or even stipulate that the retailer should destroy it, rather than see it on sale cheaply. Lily O'Brien's used to be like that - that's why I was surprised to see it at 75% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

700g Tins of Mingles chocs have been reduced to €3 (I think they were €9). Still a good few tins left in the Greystones branch of Tescos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,887 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Just to add to this: I got Tesco own brand Christmas Chocs last night. Reduced to 2.49 for 435g. Not tried em yet cos Im still munching through last weeks Thorntons, but by looking at them I think they ARE actually Thorntons just rebranded for Tesco.

• Advertisement
Advertisement