Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

liliq wrote: »
    OUch... we're starting to get to that stage as well at 8.5 months. I've gotten a few sharp nips that really hurt :(
    I've heard a few suggestions but only for awake babies!- at this stage they're starting to understand "No" etc, so if he does it when awake, unlatch him and tell him "no" and wait a minute before letting him continue.
    Watch him as close as you can and you might pick up on a little tell that he's about to do it so you might be able to intervene before he actually gets you!

Thanks; I've tried no when he's awake and he bawls! I don't think he gets what the problem is. But he's so busy trying to wriggle away it's rarely a problem for long anyway.

I'm just stumped as to what to do when he's asleep. I tend to read or snooze myself, so I'm not usually watching him all that closely. I'll give it a go tomorrow watching what happens just before he chews.

Only problem is I can't do anything that might wake him up. He really is getting very hard to feed, but I need to keep it going another couple of months. He won't take bottles and I wouldn't trust him to drink enough from the cup yet, though he is good with meals now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

:( I hope the tooth pops through ASAP and he stops biting!!!
    Gonna send you a PM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I put a bit of painkiller on the gum (like bonjela or calgel) about 10 mins before a feed. It seems to help. I also keep the tip of my little finger at the corner of her mouth and slide it in quickly if I feel her starting to nip, saying 'no!' sharply at the same time. Be careful with that though. My daughter just laughs at me, but I gave my son an awful fright doing this when he was 9months old. He went on nursing strike and it took ages for him to go back on the boob - our breastfeeding relationship never really recovered and he self-weaned completely at 13 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

ok so i have a wedding on friday and i wil have to express throughout the day to ensure i dont explode! any tips?

i will be bringing my breast pump which can be run on batteries. the only thing is i will need to use it 2/3 times so my question is how do i sterilise it for the second/third use? do i bring the electric steriliser and try find somewhere to plug it in?

also where do i put the milk i express? do i bring a cooler bag full of ice or something?

thanks in advance for any tips!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

ok so i have a wedding on friday and i wil have to express throughout the day to ensure i dont explode! any tips?

i will be bringing my breast pump which can be run on batteries. the only thing is i will need to use it 2/3 times so my question is how do i sterilise it for the second/third use? do i bring the electric steriliser and try find somewhere to plug it in?

also where do i put the milk i express? do i bring a cooler bag full of ice or something?

I ran up and down to room - I had asked for a fridge in it! I brought sterilser....! It was ridiculous....!!
    My tip... Don't have a couple of glasses of wine and forget to express like I did!!! Haha! Oh and wear a dark colour!!
    I did go to a diff occasion where couldn't sterilse and store so I just used the dirty pump and threw the mill down the loo... It upset me a lot due to the waste but needs must!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

You probably can get away with not sterilising. I think there's info on the La Leche League website about milk handling.

Edit:
    Here we are - http://www.llli.org/faq/milkstorage.html
    Store at room temp up to 6 hours, and containers washed in hot, soapy water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

I think you actually only HAVE to sterilise the breast pump once a day... I'd be a bit funny about that though- i generally used to sterilise it before every use. But... I got these medela microwave steam steriliser bags... you pop all the bits in, with a couple of ounces of water, and put in the microwave for 3 min or so, and bobs your uncle... super handy. i think they cost about 11 euro, but there was five bags in the pack, and you get 20 uses per bag. to be honest, I used to use them more than the steriliser when i was exclusively b/f- no need to be turning on the steriliser for just the pump, and the bags were way quicker. i always keep one in my changing bag now (along with a carton of formula), so that if im a bit disorganised about bringing bottles (often happens, I can't quite my head around the timing of exclusive formula feeding now!). I'm sure the hotel staff will be happy to put one in the microwave for you a couple of times throughout the day, i've asked staff in restaurants to do it, and it's been no problem at all.

also... I got one of those avent insulated bottle bags (the ones that say they keep two bottles... but they don't!), and i used to put a little breast milk storage bag full of ice cubes in there, and it would keep the milk remarkable cool! i'm also sure that you could refresh the supply of ice cubes no problem a couple of times in the day!

hope all this helps!

cool thanks for all the tips. i have a microwave steriliser so i suppose i could ask the hotel to put it in the microwave for me. and if they dont or im too big a chicken to ask :rolleyes: then ill know its not so bad if i dont get to sterilise it.

i have one of those fits 2 bottles but it doesnt bags so i will take ur tip and put ice cubes in a milk storage bag and top it up during the day.

thanks again for the tips, when ppl point things out and share it suddenly seems like oh yeh, thats a good idea!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Things are going pretty well but baby now has reflux, i spotted it as my daughter had it too, but much earlier. So its sachets of galvascon in each bottle. Even in the night after a boob feed he needs a sachet of galvascon. I'm so not used to this! I've never had to wake up with him at 5.30am! Other than that the 2 bottles per day are going fine. BUT of course as soon as i'm not exclusivly breastfeeding, my hair is falling out, its everywhere. I keep brushing it to try keep it off the floor and outta the bed. I mamaged to make it to the crudiu meeting yesterday morning, 2 babies in tow. I really enjoyed it and dublinlady, i passed on your nippleshield experiences too. They do a buggy fit, i may try it.....with the double buggy, ill be getting a double work out!

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Things are going pretty well but baby now has reflux, i spotted it as my daughter had it too, but much earlier. So its sachets of galvascon in each bottle. Even in the night after a boob feed he needs a sachet of galvascon. I'm so not used to this! I've never had to wake up with him at 5.30am! Other than that the 2 bottles per day are going fine. BUT of course as soon as i'm not exclusivly breastfeeding, my hair is falling out, its everywhere. I keep brushing it to try keep it off the floor and outta the bed. I mamaged to make it to the crudiu meeting yesterday morning, 2 babies in tow. I really enjoyed it and dublinlady, i passed on your nippleshield experiences too. They do a buggy fit, i may try it.....with the double buggy, ill be getting a double work out!

my little one has reflux back aswell!!! started her on the gaviscon today but i give it to her in a syringe. she not too bad at taking it. hate it tho. its great the two bottles are goin well.

im not looking forward to the hair falling out! mine has always shed cos its so thick so i can only imagine how bad it will be!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

stupid hair loss is stupid. That's all I have to say :mad:

(had to have my (almost hip-length) hair cut off cause it was getting so thin and ratty thanks to those hormones :mad::mad::mad:)

we're down to one feed at night now - just seemed to have happened 'naturally', E got less and less interested in the boob and ended up screaming for the bottle during the day - determined not to let this last feed go for a while though (although I'd prefer if it wasnt at stupid o'clock at night :D) - it's my compromise regarding his and my needs...:o

galah wrote: »
    stupid hair loss is stupid. That's all I have to say :mad:

(had to have my (almost hip-length) hair cut off cause it was getting so thin and ratty thanks to those hormones :mad::mad::mad:)

we're down to one feed at night now - just seemed to have happened 'naturally', E got less and less interested in the boob and ended up screaming for the bottle during the day - determined not to let this last feed go for a while though (although I'd prefer if it wasnt at stupid o'clock at night :D) - it's my compromise regarding his and my needs...:o

thats bad having to get your hair cut when it was so long!!!

interesting tho e is also becoming less interested in boob feeds during the day. morning and night feeds are pretty ok but during the day she might only feed for 5 mins then an hour later have another 5 mins!! gona start introducing formula this week just a bottle to see. if she takes to it then it might be bottles during the day. id like to keep the mornin and night feeds. e wakes bout 5 or 6 but its either for a chat or with wind and not really for a feed but i end up feeding her cos it sometimes settles her, not always tho.:rolleyes: if i could stretch her for another hour or 2 it would be great. but we are not too bad. what age is your little one now?

ok so emily has just had her first bottle of formula. 8oz devoured at room temp like it was nothing!! felt a little inadequate!:rolleyes: its great tho. put the gaviscon in it too which was handy. she got up 2 huge bits of wind and was almost smiling after getting them up!:D it was one of the aptimal cartons so guess ill be going to buy the big tub of stuff next to have it.

E
    galah wrote: »
    stupid hair loss is stupid. That's all I have to say o

Mine has started to regrow. The new bits are about an inch long and refuse to lie flat, regardless of hair products or appliances. The bits that havent fallen out are all lank and straggly. I look like Steve Staunton ca. 1990. Mullet-tastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

oh dear, poor thing! :mad: (sorry, but it did make me giggle a little. you may laugh and point when my hair comes back the same though :D)

Oh no, I cut out 2 feeds and my jeans are getting tight :0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

wmpdd3 I literally put on weight overnight when we night weaned. Unfortunately cutting back on the feeds for baby means cutting back on the food for mammy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Future Baby

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Oh no, I cut out 2 feeds and my jeans are getting tight :0

I was just thinking of this this morning when I start cutting out feds, Last time I was this skinny was when I was 15!
    I didnt have much cravings when I was pregnant but when I started BF, I never once have had that full feeling after I eat my dinner, can't get enough chocolate these days.

I was just thinking of this this morning when I start cutting out feds, Last time I was this skinny was when I was 15!
    I didnt have much cravings when I was pregnant but when I started BF, I never once have had that full feeling after I eat my dinner, can't get enough chocolate these days.

oh i know! im never full and want chocolate and crap all the time. starting to cut a midday feed this week i think so realy not looking forward to what might happen weight wise.:eek: now might be the time to look into an exercise class or somethin:rolleyes:;)

I've been going to weight watchers since January, and breastfeeding aswell up until just over a week ago. I was by no means depriving myself, and probably eating more healthily than I ever have, and I've lost just over 3 stone in that time. Im still not at my goal, and now that there's no bfeeding anymore, I'm afraid I never will be! Does anyone remember years ago in desp housewives, there was an episode where some colleague of lynettes was bfeeding a five year old, because it was her only means of maintaining her weight!

• Advertisement

^^^ ah balls, a hour of buggy fit per week is never going to shift this baby weight. I need a plan!

I really recommend weight watchers. Before I had my son I ran quite a lot so I didn't need to watch my portion sizes or the odd goodie here and there. I don't have the same amount of free time now for exercise (obviously!) so I found weight watchers great for getting me back on track with portion control etc.

I really recommend weight watchers. Before I had my son I ran quite a lot so I didn't need to watch my portion sizes or the odd goodie here and there. I don't have the same amount of free time now for exercise (obviously!) so I found weight watchers great for getting me back on track with portion control etc.

And I second this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

ck83 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember years ago in desp housewives, there was an episode where some colleague of lynettes was bfeeding a five year old, because it was her only means of maintaining her weight!

None of the hassle of weaning and maintaining weight! What's not to love about that! :D

I'm at that stage now too. I ballooned a bit when the wee man went on solids and we dropped a feed. I never lost that weight, so I swore I'd be careful when myself and the wee woman got to the same stage. However, getting a diagnosis of gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with her was probably the best thing that ever happened me. I dropped a stone when I was pregnant and once she was born I was nearly 2 stone lighter than I was before she was conceived. I've stuck to a low GL diet since, which is not really a 'diet' as I'm not counting anything, just picking a 2:1:1 balance of salad/veg: protein:carbs each meal and never skipping a meal or snack. I don't stick to it religiously but there has been a proper lifestyle change.

But most significantly of all I'm doing the Couch to 5k (c25k) podcasts from the NHS. If you don't know this, get to know it, it's brilliant. Basically over the course of 9 weeks you go from being a nonrunner to being well on the way to running a 5k. Now I'm a proper lardass so I was afraid to actually run (thought I'd make my poor knees implode) so I repeated Week 1 over and over again until I'd built up a bit of fitness and made a start on the weight loss. I'm flying it now, I've lost between 1/2 - 2lbs a week since March EVERY WEEK (including bold weeks) and I'm getting fit with it.

I tried Weight Watchers a couple of times and it was ok - I got down to a size 14-16 for our wedding - but I always fell off the wagon and found ways to cheat the system. I know it works for heaps of people - lots of my family swear by it - but I just can't be bothered with the counting and tracking and the expense of it. I feel that what I'm doing now is sustainable for the rest of my life. If WW hasn't work for you, give it a go, it's free!

Fingers crossed it continues to work as herself starts losing interest in the boob!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Cat, I started the Couch to 5k too before I got pregnant, but dropped it temporarily. As soon as I get the all clear in a couple of weeks after my C-section I'll be doing it again. Its so easy to ease into if you are a couch potato like I pretty much am.

There is a thread in The Ladies Lounge on it and lots of boardsies who are doing the Couch to 5k on it, some have graduated to 10k.

My little fella is doing great on breastfeeding, and I havent had any issues thank god, though I have to express an ounce or so to add the Colief drops to, so its a bit of a pain to faff around with bottles and sterilisers and all that. It was so easy in the beginning just to pop him on for a feed and that was that, but hopefully in a few weeks his tummy might be stronger and the colicky pains might be easier for him. I cant believe he is nearly 5 weeks. :eek: Hopefully he will settle into a day/night routine, he is still a bit nocturnal (up until 5am yesterday with a very wide eyed little dude wanting to party!) but it will come in time I hope.

Cat Melodeon I think that's the problem with weight watchers. If you've got a bad diet you can keep it and learn how to cheat ww. I really think to keep the weight off you have to stop eating chocolate, biscuits, crisps etc everyday and not just substitute the full fat ones for ww products. You should try reeducate your palate to enjoy fresh food. I'm fortunate that I love eating healthily and hate convenience food so ww for me was about portion control.

Anyhows it's certainly getting tougher now that I'm a mammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

Okay, I've been nursing for twelve weeks, and my little boy is thriving, but I've lost no real weight at all. I look revolting, and the mirror is not my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

Walls wrote: »
    Okay, I've been nursing for twelve weeks, and my little boy is *thriving*, but I've lost no real weight at all. I look *revolting*, and the mirror is not my friend.

Ah you poor thing. Personally I put on weight breast feeding. They claim you use about 600 calories a day breastfeeding. however I find I'm eating a lot more than 600 calories extra due to the appetite increase and my entire lack of willpower. I just CRAVE CARBS. I have to stop though, if I put back on all the weight i lost during pregnancy I will be really pissed at myself.

12 weeks isn't long, your body is still chock full of nasty pregnancy hormones which hold on to the weight and mess with your fluid retention even if you're trying really hard to shift it. Don't be so hard on yourself, just try to eat healthy, and eventually you'll come good. Good job with the breastfeeding too, keep it up! :)

For now, just don't bother with the mirror, you don't need to be even thinking about it right now, just enjoy your baby.

• Advertisement

Lads, seriously, "NINE MONTHS ON, NINE MONTHS OFF"!!!!**

**"Nine months off" starts from the day you FINISH breastfeeding :D

Advertisement