Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE's irritating "bugs"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

PBC_1966 wrote:
    BBC-2 does have one during their "Learning Zone" programs at night, although it's not too noticeable most of the time. We can but hope they don't decide to make its use more widespread.

How much is the Irish TV license at the moment?

Too bloody much.

BBC1 and 2 had logos on ther digital broadcasts when they started, people complained and they got rid of them.
    BBC3 and 4 have logos for some programmes, not on films or drama though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

The Brits don't have these bugs and they also have a cheaper TV licence fee which provides far more original and quality broadcasting

Oh for gods sakes the reason for their 'original and quality broadcasting' of the BBC is due to haveing 15 times the population of ireland paying a license fee.... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

Oh for gods sakes the reason for their 'original and quality broadcasting' of the BBC is due to haveing 15 times the population of ireland paying a license fee.... :mad:

Well, not quite all of us..... ;):D

www.tvlicensing.biz

PBC_1966 wrote:
    Well, not quite all of us..... ;):D

www.tvlicensing.biz
    Don't you think the BBC license is worth it? I lived there for 4 years and thought that the BBC was one of the things that in pretty much every circumstance the UK coudl be very proud of. Obviously nobody wants to see License fee going to pay crap like jonny and Denise on a saturday evening, but for the radio output (local and national) a news service second to none, a website which is envied the world over and an ability to cover 'important' events without ever seeming to descend to the mawkish, I'd have thought they were worth every penny.

And i've not even mentioned the value for money that is Jeremy Paxman!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The BBC also gave us the likes of Blakes 7, Dr.Who and Red Dwarf. As opposed to RTE with Bosco and those weird giant sock puppet things (momags or something).

• Advertisement

Don't you think the BBC license is worth it?
    Well, they've turned out some good shows in the past, and there's still an occasional glimmer of that old BBC left. But these days they produce one heck of a lot of garbage as well.

But I oppose the license on principle anyway. Forcing people under penalty of law to pay a tax to watch TV is just wrong, IMHO.

I see your point. Not going to bother 'arguing' this one, cos it's all down to a subjective view on what's better - TV that's purely driven by ratings or TV that's driven by certain 'standards'. In the former category, you'd have the dross turned out by ITV - whose only good comedy show is Coronation St, which isn't meant to be a comedy. Contrast with the BBC who take risks (and yes, i know they use taxpayers money to take these risks!) and make shows like The Office. Such a show would NEVER in a million years have gotten the go ahead from ITV because the great unwashed wouldn't like it, and for all that talk about it, the ratings were never that high! Anyway - if somebody starts up another 'license fee good/bad' thread I'll say more.

However (he said bringing it back on thread) despite ITV not using Bugs, I really get annoyed with the

a) end credits getting squeezed and the voiceover telling you what's up next.
    b) presenters telling you what's up next.

I mean, SIR Trevor McDonald reduced to saying 'Stay with us on ITV1 for The Bill'

a) end credits getting squeezed and the voiceover telling you what's up next.

Definitely. This trick is getting extremely annoying and more and more intrusive. Sometimes they even shrink the closing credits up and run a preview trailer for the next show!

I remember a time when most shows run right through to the closing "BBC Colour Production" or "Thames Production" etc. caption uniterrupted. If a voiceover was used, it was done so sparingly and it related to the program just finishing: "That was the last in the present series," "Don't forget that from next week ______ moves to the earlier time of 7 p.m.", or maybe "We apologize to viewers in the ______ area who lost 5 minutes of our show due to a technical problem."

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Zoton

You could also try complaining to these guys. they even advertise it on RTE :D
    http://www.bcc.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Am I the only person who thinks these are useful? I hate the way some channels don't have them, so you don't know what they are. I'm talking about when I go to other people's houses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭I.J.

Blisterman, I understand your point but most people only want to know a channel when tuning in a VCR or setting up a new TV. After that they are set in place and all modern TVs today come with their own "bugging" which dissapears after a few seconds. If anything should be done it should be channels removing them as the years go by because technology tells us enough.

ALSO! the most important point is that these RTE bugs are "Irritating". They should make them more discreet. Even SKY ONE with the exact same amount of digits has a better system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well a lot of people i know don't have that on their TVs. Of course they should be more discreet. Semi transparent small logos with just the channel name would be enough.

Advertisement