Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE's Big Brother

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Originally posted by Elmo
    Well if its crap then say its crap just because its crap rather then:-

and

quote:

i think everyone has had their fill of rubbish reality tv... im sure a low budget irish version of BB would be laughable...

and

quote:
    anyway... if this goes ahead it will FLOP.... no more reality tv from ireland please....

quote:
    yes it wasn't great, but it was a lot easier to watch than cabin fever.... horrible...

Yes in comparison to Cabin Fever(Not because it was an irish show), BB was good, but BB is still crap and that because it just is crap and it would still be crap if RTE or TV3 did it. :mad:

i think you missed the point here... im not saying that ireland could not produce a good quality reality show... im saying that the attempts so far have been crap.... there is no disputing that

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

i think you missed the point here... im not saying that ireland could not produce a good quality reality show... im saying that the attempts so far have been crap.... there is no disputing that

Well thats your opinion. I liked Treasure Island both series. The one TG4 did seemed good when I saw it. SOS.

Fine Cabin Fever was bad as was Haunted House (Shudder).

But then The Salon is the worst. (Shudder, Vomit etc)

Just then dont single out the fact that they are Irish lets face it IMO there is no disputing that Reality TV is crap not just because its irish, Generalise please.
    im saying that the attempts so far have been crap....

Well then just say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Definately for Popstars, DVD etc that went with that even the album which got to NO. 29.

But think about it same type of show gets 990,000 viewers for the final 2 nights, 500,000 during the rest of the year plus sponsorship from O2 plus the single plus the album both of which got to NO 1 for mickey joe.

For popstars RTE had a Press Release.

Im asking for real, verifiable sources that back up your assertion that rte made a certain amount of money from these shows. Not what you think they probably made. There could have been 4,000,000 people watching the final show but this in itself does not earn rte any money. They need 4mil people to vote and then they start to make a lot of money. They can then also charge more for advertising if they can guarentee those viewing figures. The single and album does not garner them any revenues.

But a how much does a prefab cost to build?

I have absolutly no idea. Im not a builder or an engineer so i dont make wild guesses. iirc the uk bb house cost around a million for materials and construction alone, thats not including the tech required for tv.
    RTE would have enough Cameras lieing around during the summer months to do the show? The dont have to move at night just place the in one place,

No they wouldnt have cameras 'lying about the place'. Have you watched big brother? Lets say there are 20 cameras. Im guessing, but id say 5 of these are 'studio' cameras as you imagine them. the other 15 would be remote controlled 'hothead' cameras that are run via the control room. Its these cameras that allow the full coverage. These cameras are not cheap. Neither is the desk in the control room that controls them. Neither is the 3 trained and experienced operators who runs them (3 x 8 hour shifts).
    how many people does it take to produce the den?

Your comparing a pres show with one camera that lasts about 50 minutes of screen time with a 15+camera remote production that runs 24/7 ?

Also your not paying the contestants to be on the show €100,000 or €70,000 isn't alot of money.

No, but your paying a team of researchers standard rates to find, interview, screen, audition, and 'train' the contestants.

And 200 people in my book is to many to employ for such sh1t

Which is why your not a well paid endemol producer i guess:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I liked Treasure Island both series. .

Treasure Island isnt really an irish program. Its an australian franchise. Like the way there was an Irish Popstars.

Cabin Fever is an original Irish format. I think theres talk of foreign sales.

Treasure Island isnt really an irish program. Its an australian franchise. Like the way there was an Irish Popstars.

So it was good because it was an australian franchise, of course its a New Zealand Franchise but anyway. Popstars is Austrailian

Then The Irish Cele BB wont really be irish now would it. => good?

What was your point?
    Cabin Fever is an original Irish format. I think theres talk of foreign sales.

Yeah thats what I heard. Just like the Lyrics Board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Cabin Fever was terrible....

BB Ireland wont happen, but it should.
    If they can spend a couple of million punts whenever it was that we hosted the Eurovision last, you would think they could do Big Brother Ireland..... but no. The danger is, it might be good and god forbid RTE would ever broadcast ANYTHING even vaguely watchable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by embee
    it might be good and god forbid RTE would ever broadcast ANYTHING even vaguely watchable.

but they do, it's called Prime Time. an excellent show. i can't think of anything else though :(

BB Ireland wont happen, but it should.
    If they can spend a couple of million punts whenever it was that we hosted the Eurovision last, you would think they could do Big Brother Ireland..... but no. The danger is, it might be good and god forbid RTE would ever broadcast ANYTHING even vaguely watchable.

HELLO! BIG BROTHER IS SH1T.

BIG BROTHER SHOULD NEVER BE MADE AGAIN PLEASE.

IT IS THE WORST TV IN THE WORLD IT IS THE LCD OF LCD'S

RTE SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED SQUANDER LICENCE FEE ON BB LET TV3 DO THAT.

Advertisement