Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Breaking In a Rifle

• 28-07-2014 4:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

I placed this in the Target forum as I am specifically interested in whether lads with precision rifles break in their barrels. If so, why? If not, why not?

What is the logic behind breaking in a barrel? I understand the logic in breaking in say, a new car, but not barrels. What is the risk of not following a break-in procedure?

Granted you should clean a new barrel of any residue or fluids from the factory.

Also, if you do break-in, what's your procedure? Anything like what Precision Shooting Magazine recommends?

I never really break-in barrels like the above recommendation. I clean them and shoot slow in the beginning, but nothing as elaborate as the link states.

I ask ye as I just purchased an expensive long range rifle and now find myself in one of those situations where even if not convinced, I may err on the side of caution.

Lastly, the link from Precision Shooter's Magazine at the end of step 1 says to Push a patch with 2 drops of oil through the bore before the next shot in order to ensure you are not shooting through a dry bore. Personally, I would prefer a fouled bore over either. My concern is that an oiled bore does not allow the proper grip of the bullet. That is, the bullet is sliding when it should be rotating.

I wonder if some of these break-in procedures cause more harm than good, like this article by Gale McMillan. Has anyone ever noticed that manufacturers do not often cite a break-in procedure? Rather, they refer you to the procedure of someone? I have contacted several manufacturers via email on the matter and never received a response.

There's a place in the States that trains snipers. Yes, snipers. They do long range shooting and sniper courses for civilians too. I had the opportunity to speak with their firearms expert and long range shooter on the topic. He told me that he never cleans a barrel, let alone break them in. All he does is not shoot them to the point of overheating.

Lot's of opinions out there, but not much scientific data.

I am far more concerned with harsh chemicals and brushes than a bit of copper fouling. I am a bit more concerned with powder fouling.

Thanks for any feedback. Not looking to start a war, just get some ideas.

Do You Break In? 9 votes

Yes - always, I am convinced it helps
    0% 0 votes
    Yes - not sure if it helps, but err on the side of caution
    33% 3 votes
    No - never. On a side note, I have a bridge for sale
    44% 4 votes
    Sometimes - depends on the rifle's application
    22% 2 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I went for sometimes as i do it based on my mood, and my thoughts of any possible benefit to the rifle.

There are loads of different trains of thought on this. Some say not needed, and others say it is. Then the other camp says whether it is or not do it anyway.

I've done both with rifles over the years. I've broken some in, and other i've not bothered with. On the higher end rifles and ones with custom barrels it makes no difference from what i've been able to record. On other brands it's almost required.

For example i had a CZ 527 Kevlar a couple of years ago. I had 100 rounds or so through it and i could see grouping improving with the same ammo. I spoke to other lads with the same rifle and they told me their rifle did not come into it's own until after 150+ rounds. On the custom barrel for my FTR rifle breaking in was not a necessity and the rifle shot perfectly whether i done it or not. I found this out by breaking previous barrels, and then not breaking in the last one. Was a bit of a risk i suppose, but the results speak for themselves. With no break in process the gun holds 2.375 inch groups at 1,000 yards.

If i were to break a barrel in i have two methods depending on the rifle, barrel, ammo cost, and what i feel like doing. They are identical with the only difference being the amount of rounds fired.
    1. I usually start with 1 shot and clean. Repeat for 10 rounds.
    2. 2 shots and clean for 10 (5x2)
    3. 3 shots and clean for 15 (5x3)
    4. Lastly 5 shots and clean for 15 (3x5).

45 - 50 rounds total. OR:
    1. 1 shot. Bolt out and clean. Repeat this for 10 - 15 rounds.
    2. 3 shots. Bolt out and clean. Repeat this for another 25 - 30 or so rounds.
    3. 5 shots. Bolt out and clean. Repeat this for 25 - 35 rounds.
    4. 10 shots. Bolt out and clean. Repeat this for 30- 40 rounds.

I have read not only the two you linked to but many others opinions and reasons for breaking in or not. None of them have any more scientific basis than my own. One thing that i did consider. If a lad shooting F-Open has to break in his rifle he would loose upwards of 10% of the barrels life through this procedure by following the advice of some of the ones you linked to. By that i mean the barrel life of a 6.5x284 or 7mm is approx 900 - 1,100 rounds. Some claim more, but this seems to be the figure most lads consider the barrel to be effective to. If a lad uses 50 - 100 rounds, as advised in those links, to break in his rifle he looses 10% of his barrel life and so has to replace the barrel sooner.

As i said at the start i've done both and in only one rifle of all the rifles i've owned was breaking in shown to be necessary or a positive step, and that was a hunting rifle not a target one. In all other cases i have not found a reason to break it in.

Lastly a custom barrel is usually of a much higher spec than a "mass produced" barrel. IOW it's ready to shoot as people buying them want the best and not to have to "make it ready" by breaking it in.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement