Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shouldering the butt

• 09-06-2014 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Guys need some help here, I'm shooting a Savage MkII .22lr thumbhole stock, prone target shooting 50m, I adjust the target sling and have a good firm pull back of the rifle into my shoulder, But when firing I feel as if I'm pushing the rifle out away from me, and def don't have it shouldered firmly. Do I need the butt firm in the shoulder ?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Wadi14 wrote: »
    Guys need some help here, I'm shooting a Savage MkII .22lr thumbhole stock, prone target shooting 50m, I adjust the target sling and have a good firm pull back of the rifle into my shoulder, But when firing I feel as if I'm pushing the rifle out away from me, and def don't have it shouldered firmly. Do I need the butt firm in the shoulder ?

It doesn't need to be firm, but it does need to be in good contact with the shoulder and not able to move up/down/left/right.

The rifle should remain pointed at the target when you take your trigger hand away from the stock.

Depending on how your position is balanced, you might feel that the rifle is "hanging" in the sling, pulling away from you. This is OK, provided you have useful contact with the butt in the shoulder. If not, perhaps try moving your hand stop forwards. This will keep the angle of your support arm constant but will increase the pressure in your shoulder.

The other option is to lie more straight behind the rifle. This will bring your shoulder around into the butt, but you might need to tweak the sling length a little to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Thanks IRLConor,
    I do find I am pushing the supporting arm out further, giving me a lower position which I am def not used to, have fire full-bore rifles and was always used to a higher position, and I suppose with full-bore I was going to feel the recoil in the shoulder, with 22 I'm not.

I'm going to try the straighter position behind the rifle too as I have always been lying off at an angle.

As I have said it just doesn't feel right to me when in position

Thanks IRLConor,
    I do find I am pushing the supporting arm out further, giving me a lower position which I am def not used to, have fire full-bore rifles and was always used to a higher position, and I suppose with full-bore I was going to feel the recoil in the shoulder, with 22 I'm not.

I'm going to try the straighter position behind the rifle too as I have always been lying off at an angle.

As I have said it just doesn't feel right to me when in position

Balancing the sling, hand stop, arm angle and body angle is pretty much the hardest thing about building a prone position, so I wouldn't be worried if it's taking you a while to tweak it to be comfortable for you.

Get someone to take some photos of you in position and post them here. That will make it a lot easier for people to suggest fixes. I'm not going to be in Donegal any time soon or else I'd volunteer to have a look and see if there's anything obvious I could spot.

thanks,
    Holy water might work lol

thanks,
    Holy water might work lol

Hah! Only if you drink it. Good hydration is essential for good eyesight. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭everypenny

I assume you're firing from the lying position?

If so place the rifle on the ground so that its pointing towards the target.
    Place both hands either side of the rifle and kick your legs to the rear so that you lie behind the rifle.
    If you're right handed then place the but of the rifle into your shoulder with your left hand so that if you were to draw a line from the muzzle downwards it would dissect your shoulder, shoulder blade, right cheek, edge of your thigh and just inside your knee. This is proper alignment.
    Look through your sights to see if you're on target. If you're not then move your point of aim and readjust your body.
    When on target close your eyes and take two breaths. Reopen the eyes and check you're still on target. If you're not readjust. Don't "Make Do".
    Slightly load your bi-pods by leaning forward with your shoulder into the but. Check your aim, breathe out and release the shot.
    If your alignment is correct then the rifle recoil should be absorbed more easily. Further more the rifle should only raise a little (as its a .22) and should fall back down onto the target perfectly for a second shot if necessary.
    If your alignment is incorrect then the recoil will be heavier, the rifle will jump erratically and it will fall down aiming elsewhere. You'll have to spend more time trying to readjust onto your target prior to any second shot or observation of the previous shot.
    Practice dry firing and you should get an idea of what I mean before you fire live.
    Hope it helps,
    EP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

EP, the OP is using a sling, not a bipod. 50m TR is usually done with a sling.

Good advice about using a bipod though.

tac

Thanks guys,
    I do try and follow all the marksmanship principles, but find that with the sling pulling the rifle back,I feel Im pushing the rifle away from me with my trigger hand as I fire, which then feels of less pressure in the shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Sounds like the rifle is too short. Maybe try a slip on butt pad or something for length? Your hand should reach the pistol grip without stretching, but without dragging it back either. Your grip should be solid but neutral, all force acting towards the centre of the grip, not influencing the rifle in any particular direction. Then you fire by squeezing the trigger into your hand, rather than pulling it, and your hand stays where it is, keeping the rifle solid and acting as another straight line (from your palm to your elbow) for the rifle's recoil to be absorbed by.

We might be getting somewhere It's,
    I bought a bisley adjustable butt pad, but found it too long and put back on the original, I have since cut the rubber recoil pad to half its side, and will try it back on the rifle when next on the range.

• Advertisement
Advertisement