Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork/Kerry All-Ireland Football Final

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Cork by more then 5 points
    Congrats to Kerry.

Unfortunately, the only thing the Cork footballers can be relied on to do is choke. Repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Ah well, at least my club's still in the hurling. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Game started off well, really quick game untill Kerry took the lead and kept it pretty well.

I was expecting Cork to atleast stick it to them for a bit longer, some dogdy moments in Kerrys defence but cork couldnt get the score when it came down to it.

Congrats Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Draw
    Kennelly challenge was a bit blatant. But as Spillane said it happened so early on in the game that it went un noticed. But now time to introduce TV refs. Two challenges today that should have merited sanction.

TV refs would not be much help in those situations. If the ref does not see the incidents he will not call for the video ref. Its should be the job of the linesman to keep an eye on that kind of incident. The second incident in particular should have been spotted.

I really like the way touch judge interact with refs in rugby. They tend to spot a lot (not all obviously) of foul play and the ref can take their advice on the incident. The GAA could move towards that kind of system without much fuss and it could clear up a lot of the foul play.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Blarney92

Cork by less then 5 points
    Just back from the match there- absolutely sickened but kerry deserved it. Cork forwards were well off the pace as well.

And don't even get me started on the ref......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Kerry by less then 5 points
    Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    TV refs would not be much help in those situations. If the ref does not see the incidents he will not call for the video ref. Its should be the job of the linesman to keep an eye on that kind of incident. The second incident in particular should have been spotted.

I really like the way touch judge interact with refs in rugby. They tend to spot a lot (not all obviously) of foul play and the ref can take their advice on the incident. The GAA could move towards that kind of system without much fuss and it could clear up a lot of the foul play.
    How many incidents go un-noticed. I think its now time to introduce the citing rule as in rugby. Will be interesting to see if either incident is picked up by GAA.
    Think Kerry were over physical at times today. And they didn't need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Ah the ref....

He was erratic with the yellow cards as well - if he had be dishing out black and yellow cards as per the rulebook I would expect less of the 'cynical' fouling that Kerry have managed to make part of their game.

As it was Kerry had a strict strategy of getting the ball whenever Cork got a free, and throwing it away - needless

But by god - does it work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Reading these posts is funny, it is obvious that it pains people to see Kerry win and this is very evident by the fact that most people try and emphasize how Cork "lost it" themselves
    It seems a bit sad that people cannot give credit to probably one of the greatest teams of all time.

Reading these posts is funny, it is obvious that it pains people to see Kerry win and this is very evident by the fact that most people try and emphasize how Cork "lost it" themselves
    It seems a bit sad that people cannot give credit to probably one of the greatest teams of all time.
    No think the debate about this current Kerry team will go on simply because they never got the Tyrone monkey off their back.
    The team of seventies in contrast beat a very good Dublin team in three finals!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Whats funny is you thinking that this Kerry team is anywhere near the greatest football team of all time.
    The standard of gaelic football over the last ten years has been very poor in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Draw

LOL! :D Greatest team of all time, no. Did cork throw it away, imo, yes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭lukin

Draw

I think it's fair to say Cork lost it themselves. The wide count for them says it all. Kerry took their chances, Cork didn't. No excuses. As a Corkman it pains me to say we never had good forwards. The only good one we had wasn't even a Corkman! (Larry Tompkins)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

FFS the rebels throw it away congrats to Kerry they fought back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kateob87

Just home from match.. so disappointed :mad:

this Kerry team are far from being the greatest team of all time, as afew have just said Cork threw the game away they bottled it when it really mattered unfortunately and Kerry took their chances but it was by no means any kind of extraordinary display of football by Kerry either

The ref was atrocious, wasnt his fault that Cork didnt take the chances they had but the game was definitely swung kerrys way in refs decisions, v frustrating, Cork will be back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Congratulations to Kerry. 5 all-irelands this decade is a great achievement.

I'd disagree that Cork kicked it away. I thought it was more that Kerry defended very well as a unit. They kicked wides because they were frustrated by the Kerry defence, and resorted to kicking from out near the 45 or the sideline. It wasn't a vintage Kerry attacking performance, but today I thought they were excellent defensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Same old stuff every year. Kerry win again. This kind of domination is slowly killing the game in this country imo.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

could someone please tell me how was the ref today, someone netural? I was at the game and I thought he was extremely poor and fairly easy on kerry but obviously Im biased like! one free that bugged the hell out of me was a ball floated around midfield, it went over both the Kerry and cork players(about 5ish in the group). everything was grand, there was no fouling by either side whatsoever and it was a free to kerry. I would have been just as amazed if it went our way. I also was amazed at a few of the lynch/gooch moments, especially one where lynch blatantly pushed him to the ground before either man even touched the ball followed by soft ones against lynch.

Kerry probably deserved it, their tactics of stopping the cork running game and intensity by whatever means worked a treat and they grinded the result out. i wouldnt complain about those tactics if we won so i wont do it just because kerry won. congrats kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

Draw
    Congratz Kerry. Unfortunate the game didnt finish as close as we neutrals hoped but a good game all the same. I did think the ref was rather dodgy today. Gooch especially gave a fair few little shoves to gain possession which werent called whereas most Cork ones were. All players do em so not his fault, just noticed he got away with most of em. In all sports refs tend to give the benifit to smaller players but gooch isnt small anymore, is probably bigger than me now ffs (well, not including my belly fat!) :) . Walsh was amazing for Kerry. Really came into his own today. Cork, can complain about decisions but missed chances and the 20-25 min lull in midfield cost the game. Again, congratz Kerry, proved again not to write them off in troubled times. Enjoy the celebrations.

Draw
    Same old stuff every year. Kerry win again. This kind of domination is slowly killing the game in this country imo.
    Agreed but what do you expect them to do? They cant throw games so its up to the rest to catch up. Same with KK in Hurling. This kinda domination is a good reason to bring back the old system before the back door tho. At least some years the Kerrys and the Tyrones will slip up along the way and give the rest of us a chance :D

Sshh. Whelo on Sunday Game now!

• Advertisement

Draw
    Sshh. Whelo on Sunday Game now!
    Is he? Ah ****e, thats all the way downstairs! Theres a reason i dont play anymore!!! (not lack of fitness, altho that too, but mainly laziness!) hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

Kerry :):)
    Killarney :D:D:D

Well done lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Kerry were fantastic today. The were 5-odd points down early on, but after that totally dominated.
    5 All Irelands this decade is incredible :eek:
    Tommy Walsh is a phenomenon, what a player :cool:

Jeez compared to the Dublin Kerry thread, this thread is very quiet. Although sure some not complaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

The kingdom the power and the glory for thy art only 2 kingdoms thy kingdom of GOD and thy kingdom of KERRY class football
    UP THE KINGDOM
    sorry for rant but im happy kerryman 4 a day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    their tactics of stopping the cork running game and intensity by whatever means worked a treat
    I know I'm only quoting part of what you said but you sound like you think Kerry spoiled the game somehow? If so, I just can't agree - it was just a Tyrone-esque performance where they controlled possession really well, defended exceptionally as a unit (12 or 13 men back at times) and only scored as many points as they needed to maintain that control without risking leaving gaps.

As for your question, I thought the ref's performance was less than outstanding - and while you're right about that nothing free to Kerry, I thought he was equally poor for both sides really. Only area where his performance seemed to benefit Kerry for me was the two high tackles from Kennelly and Galvin - they deserved cards but he gave the frees so probably not a massive difference.

Massive deal was that Kenelly stayed on. So he gave a free but that means nothing. Amazing the fuss we make about the Australian players roughing Irish up and yet there were two very bad challenges in todays final. We cant have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

kenelly left a very well payed job in aus after his dad died who won 7 all ireland medals to try to get on the kerry team and win an all ireland medal and he did both so fair play well done and he is also a gentleman

Yes I understand that but that tackle was a bit cynical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sneem-man

Our talking was done on the field...;)

Advertisement